Soldering question....

robtattoo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia
I'm getting ready, this weekend, to solder a front sight ramp & barrel band to my 9.3x62 project.
I have all the bluing stripped, marked my centerline & have all prep work done.

In my head, I was going to tin the inside of the band & underside of the sight, then install them as illustrated in the Midway USA tutorial.
However, I'm starting to probably overthink things. Should I be tinning the barrel as well as the parts & if I do, do I then have to add more flux between the 2 tinned pieces to be soldered.

Sight
Flux
Solder
Flux
Barrel

Or.

Sight
Flux
Solder
Flux (?)
Solder
Flux
Barrel

When soldering steel always tin both surfaces. flux always first to clean surface before tinning. Flux on both tinned surfaces again before joining. Too much heat can cause flux to burn. good Luck.

When soldering steel always tin both surfaces. flux always first to clean surface before tinning. Flux on both tinned surfaces again before joining. Too much heat can cause flux to burn. good Luck.

Thank you Jeff. The Midway video isn't particularly comprehensive.

@Jeff505
I took your advice & got everything soldered up today. Nerve wracking, but I took my time & it went much easier than I expected.
I'm just sitting out in Oxpho blue now. I'm on my 4th application & I should have her all finished & ready for the stock this evening.
20220903_165102.jpg

How did your bedding job go- i found that although stressful, meticulous prep is the main skill.i used ordinary polish over everything and masking tape over areas that needed clearance/ didnt matter for acuracy. But it is still a relief when the two parts seperate

How did your bedding job go- i found that although stressful, meticulous prep is the main skill.i used ordinary polish over everything and masking tape over areas that needed clearance/ didnt matter for acuracy. But it is still a relief when the two parts seperate
As a first attempt goes, i don't think it came out too badly! I have a couple of small voids, paranoia erring me on the side of top little, over to much, but they're in non stressed areas. Action/chamber to stick fit, though, is great! I did have a couple of butt-puckering moments, but then i remembered that I'm an idiot & the bottom metal has a third screw ‍
As soon as i removed that, it popped out with a couple of small whacks with the old rawhide 'corrector'

As a first attempt goes, i don't think it came out too badly! I have a couple of small voids, paranoia erring me on the side of top little, over to much, but they're in non stressed areas. Action/chamber to stick fit, though, is great! I did have a couple of butt-puckering moments, but then i remembered that I'm an idiot & the bottom metal has a third screw ‍
As soon as i removed that, it popped out with a couple of small whacks with the old rawhide 'corrector'
amazing how you forget a.few little details when you are busy. I also suffer from lots of little jobs that accidentally become much bigger.

amazing how you forget a.few little details when you are busy. I also suffer from lots of little jobs that accidentally become much bigger.
I did lose a tiny sliver on the back left side, but i epoxied it back & did some blending with epoxy & wood dust. Now it's sanded in, you wouldn't know unless i told you.
20220906_101656.jpg

Just seeing how it feels in the hand.
I still have the terror of pillar & glass bedding to deal with!
View attachment 486949
@robtattoo
Just remember to apply enough release agent to ALL metal parts that may come into contact with the bedding agent. If you don't you run the risk of gluing the two together.
Bob

@Nhoro
It's amazing how long those 5 minute jobs actually take, 2 hours later and still going but we tell ourselves and others it should only take 5 maybe 10 minutes.
Bob

Looking good!
Did you mention the caliber?
9.3x62.
I'm going to put some light-ish load together tomorrow to get a rough zero & barrel break in, plus some for load testing & i should be hitting the range on Wednesday.

I have to say, i am NOT looking forward to shooting this from a bench! My 9x57 Mauser with 250s at 2100fps is bad enough. I'm just going to assume this will hurt like hell with 286s at (hopefully) 2400!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilbert89L

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross