So many questions

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My father and I have finally decided to do it. The summer of 2017 the dark continent will have 2 new hunters coming after it in probably South Africa. we are looking at about a 10-day Safari and shooting a good bit of animals - each would like to take Impala, Zebra, Gemsbok, Kudu, Wart Hog, Red Hartebeest and a few others that may present themselves. We really do not want to have to take another plane once we land in JoBurg. What are some outfitters that are a reasonable drive to JoBurg? The thing we do not want to do is hunt with an outfitter where we are constantly driving to different properties. Would love to stay pretty central and not always be moving. Also, how far out do you recommend booking? Thanks so much.

the second flight is nothing after the atl to joburg leg. congrats on the decision folks around here will be very willing to help out. Keep Namibia in mind as well. There are great outfitters on here from South Africa as well that im sure will be along soon. Welcome to the site research and ask away.

Welcome aboard! Best of luck in your planning. There are many outfitters who are sponsors on this site that are a few hours from Joburg. I would also say dont close the door on another flight within southern Africa, lots of good outfitter in the eastern cape and northern cape I would start the process of contacting outfitters now,then calling many reference, etc. That would still give you the ability to book 8-10 months out from next summer. Also what is reasonable for your guys? 3 hr drive, 5 hr? 7 hour?

Good day sir. Please feel free to contact me I am sure I can offer you what you are looking for.

I agree on not worrying about a flight from Joberg to another location. After the 18 hours from the states over that 1 1/2 hour flight will seam like a relaxing cruse. Last year I went over for the first time and hunted out of Port Elizabeth. The first day out I thought that we were hunting elk instead of kudu because of all the hills.

As for booking a hunt in 2017 I would be doing a lot of looking now. I am sure that a lot of the outfitters will be booked at the prime times depending on what type of hunt that you want. My outfitter was all into spot and stalking. There were no blinds set up over water holes or feeding areas.

As some have said the extra trip is no big deal but there is also something nice about hunting 2 hours after you land if you want. You do cut out some of the worries about the extra travel and things can happen with flights. Plus you will be hunting the bigger greater kudu not cape kudu if you hunt closer to jo-berg.

Pieter at paw print has all those animals on your list and much more. You can hunt a few different areas and never be more then 30 minutes away from the main lodge. With 4 or 5 areas within 10 minutes. If I can help with anything feel free to get ahold of me. I can even give you my cell if you would like to chat and get more details.

Last edited:
We hunted out of Port Elizabeth in 2013. The extra flight was nothing. We took quite a number of animals without having to travel all over the place. We hunted on a very large property that they owned not just leased. It was spot and stalk since I am not one to just sit in a blind. I did 3 years of research before booking with the outfitter I did select. It was a great choice. We brought back 15 animals which 9 were SCI record book. I shot the #48 Cape Impala and all this was on a budget hunt.
I planned for the hunt to be my once in a lifetime hunt. I am going back with another list on animals in May 2017. You can contact me if you want more information. They are a family owned(father and son) outfitter and they are also the PH. Look them up. You can google them. Iliwa Safaris is the name and they are great people.

Hello & welcome chiefdale,

I would personally recommend Limcroma Safaris. Hannes Els runs a first class outfit in every way, and they are an easy 3 1/2 hour drive from Johannesburg. They have big hunting concessions all centrally located around the main camps. A lot of the land you hunt is family owned. They have all the species on your list and about 40 more, and they cater to both rifle and bow hunters. The numbers of animals you will see and trophy quality is impressive. We did a family safari back in 2015, and we are planning our return trip in 2017. PM me if you have any questions.

Chiefdale, welcome to AH, you on the right forum to book a great hunt.

Welcome to AH, plenty of time to do your homework !

I wish you a great first safari. Don't rule out Namibia. Your list would be easy to do in Namibia. The second flight is not so bad.
Check out Aru Game Lodges.
Regards,
Philip

Thanks for the generous welcome to the site. I have been reading for the past few months but decided to join the conversations. It is addicting reading about everyones hunting reports. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am contacting some of you in private messages. How open did most of you go in with what animals to take?

I booked a special that my outfitter was running which was cheaper than the individual price of each animal and also included a day trip to Aldo Elephant Park. It included a kudu, impala, gemsbok, duiker, blesbuck, and a cape springbuck along with 2 management animals. I added a black wildebeast and a warthog. I brought back all but the duiker and warthog. The area that we were in just was not that good for the warthogs but I did get onto a couple of them but never did get a shot. Another hunter in my group ended up with two of them with one being a real nice one.

I went in with the list on my first trip and my 2nd and 3rd trip also. I have never stuck to it yet. You always have your most haves but you will be shocked at what you will think of hunting once you see them in person. I think it is always good to have a plan laid out but be flexible as the hunt happens.

Welcome to the site. I'll make a couple of suggestions. You can easily book now for next year. You might wait and see what the show specials are for next year. You'll get to see a number of them here on the hunts offered section. Take as much time as you can and read all of the hunt reports that you can. That will give you an idea of what that outfitter is doing. You usually see some trophy pics and find out if anyone has had problems. That is a great way to research. You can also contact the poster and ask questions about their hunt.
As to animals. I'd suggest a couple of lists. First is the top priority animals. Should animals in a package if you decide on that type of hunt. Then a secondary list. Sometimes Africa gives you a spectacular trophy of a species you didn't intend to hunt. You just have to decide if you want it. Best of luck. Bruce

Welcome to AH sir. I recommend that you contact Pieter at Paw Print Safaris. His main hunting area is within the distance you are looking for and all of the animals you listed are there. If you need questions answered feel free to contact me with a PM. On this site that would be start a conversation. I think animals to take is all about what you like. Lists can start out small and grow over time. If you are flexible and more about the experience you can find great deals on trophies. On my last hunt I had not really intended to take a giraffe but the deal on the table was too good to pass up.
Charlie

I think you should have a bit of an idea what type of terrain you would like to hunt. SA has it all. Decide if you want to stalk around hills sometimes with very thick vegetation or more open savanah. That may then help your decision about region. As others have said the extra flight is no hassle.

I would personally recommend Limcroma Safaris. Hannes Els runs a first class outfit in every way, and they are an easy 3 1/2 hour drive from Johannesburg. They have big hunting concessions all centrally located around the main camps. A lot of the land you hunt is family owned. They have all the species on your list and about 40 more, and they cater to both rifle and bow hunters. The numbers of animals you will see and trophy quality is impressive. We did a family safari back in 2015, and we are planning our return trip in 2017. PM me if you have any questions.

For what you are looking for, I would would second Limcroma. Hannes has it all. The logistics are hard to beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg