Snakes in South Africa

Cape Cobras are bad news. If you get bit and envenomed, it's a major medical emergency. At least they aren't a spitting cobra. This is why I don't hunt in the early season in SA. Come to think of it, I don't go after quail in Georgia until late in the season for the same reason. :)

According to the African Snakebite Institute page there are eight cobra on the continent. I saw two spitting cobra in Namibia my first trip over.

My outfitter who operates north of Port Elizabeth killed a cape cobra the week before we arrived in camp the second week of May a few years ago

Yikes! Are they common? Cobras are worse than rattlers because they have neurotoxin venom, not hemotoxin. Works must faster and harder to deal with.

I once shared a blind with a Mozambican SpittingCobra for a brief period of time. It came in, I went out. I startled him as I was jumping out the front window so he spit on me.

I know a guy who got bit on his hand when he stuck his hand under his pillow after getting in bed.

That being said, snakes, including cobras, aren’t really a problem for hunters. The snakes aren’t very active in the fall and winter months. Sightings are rare.

L O L Yes, they're everywhere! 1 out of every 2 hunters never makes it home. Cobras, Pythons, Adders, Mambas, Boomslangs, etc. Damn continental drift. And, they know when you're carrying too little a caliber! :p 'Have seen them all. Never a problem in African Winter, although we almost stepped on a Puff Adder waiting in sand tracks where school children walked 2x daily, so we took care of it...Imagine that! Snakes in Africa. Always keep your hut/tent/room doors shut.

DSCN0392.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Three times in the Limpopo, I’ve seen two green mamba, one in 37 degrees F..., two adders and one nonvenomous snake that for the life of me I can’t remember the species... However, I believe I have a snake magnet built into my DNA. If you need to be surprised by an Eastern Diamondback or cane brake rattlesnake,(7x within 2 feet—6 ft the largest) water moccasin (stepped on crossing a creek—4 footer—rose up above my knee to reveal the contents of his white mouth about an inch from my thigh) or my least favorite the copper head —while deer or turkey hunting, I am your guide...

Yikes! Are they common? Cobras are worse than rattlers because they have neurotoxin venom, not hemotoxin. Works must faster and harder to deal with.
Not really, well not that you will notice.
Honestly I bet more people see puff adders, which I did my second trip to Namibia. And, like rattle snakes, they usually sit there and watch you walk by without caring or you ever knowing. Thankfully my luck seems to be improving, last trip the only big reptile I saw was a rock monitor lizard.

Didn't know there were any Cobra variants in Africa. Thought it was strictly an Asian species.

In popular culture, the legend is that queen Cleopatra of Egypt, killed herself by being bitten by Egyptian Cobra.

Yes there are Cobras in Africa.
On my first trip, I saw two snakes: cape cobra and black mamba. On my second trip, I saw - None!

But, you have to realize, it is very small chance that you will encounter a snake in Africa, they keep away from humans. Chance to encounter one is even less if you go there in cold months.

If you are hunting out of the usual winter season you regularly see snakes.
I don't mind most of them but Black Mambas make my GTF out of there quickly. I don't like those things and they get BIG.

Snakes in SA, nah... just a few :ROFLMAO:

So far I have seen a Mozambique Spitting Cobra, a Cape Cobra, a Black Mamba, and a Rock Python.

But don´t worry, they just get out of the way. Unless you stick your hand in a dark hole :eek:

I killed a 6 ft Cape Cobra last trip to Africa. West Cape area. Saw another later on too. Not been common for me as a rule.....
Bruce

I saw a cobra in Namibia in late July 2018. I didn’t think they were out that time of year. Was getting out of the pop up blind and it was 10 feet away and moving toward the brush pile next to our blind. Likely trying to get out of the sun. PH said it was an Egyptian Cobra. I have pics and video. A little over 6 feet long.

My outfitter who operates north of Port Elizabeth killed a cape cobra the week before we arrived in camp the second week of May a few years ago

Well, that's a comforting thought. :( I arrive there in mid May and will be hunting north of there.:eek:

I hunted in January, we only saw one I think. I have them at home in January and where I work in the bush. I don’t like them but keep watch and keep away unless you have the .410 handy.
The .410 has been known as a Ladies shotgun in Australia. Nearly every farmhouse would have one but they don’t hang above the kitchen door these days we have safe storage. Digital keypads are good when you are in a hurry.

In Zim in September I pointed out a puffer adder by a riverbank that one of the scouts almost stepped on. They promptly beat it to death with a stick.

So, they are all around just keep eyes open and carry on. ;)

Black Mamba

88426593_1066202773752455_9024733140899332096_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross