Snakes in South Africa

89821804_2881889918524775_5256685914674954240_n.png

89318839_1066749723697760_8885674353396547584_o.jpg

While I lived in Benoni, Transvaal, in the 60's, I took it upon myself to pick up all the ringhals (spitting cobras) marooned around Homestead dam, a lake that had become encircled by suburbs.
Funny things, they always signal when they are going to strike, but you should wear glasses because they spit venom. Often, to escape, they play dead, twisting over upside down with their mouth pushed to one side. If you turn one back over gently, it will insist on being "dead" and roll back upside down again. I got to like them.
A few years later, I stayed at a rough hotel while working at a steelworks, but went catching most weekends. I came back one evening with a snake box (like a small suitcase with prominent warning stickers) and stopped for a snack in the restaurant.
The owner started mocking my "lunch box" as pretentious, and ignored my telling him it had two snakes inside. I shook it, but he then accused me of making the hissing sound myself and told me to open it - if there were snakes inside, my coffee and sandwich were free!
I opened the lid and up popped two very angry ringhals with their hoods out and making a hell of a din.
Have you ever seen a restaurant with the entire clientele and staff, four deep, all trying to get out through a doorway together........

Lots of cape cobras around my previous house, one inside the house under the dining table. Killed them all with my .38 Spl and shot shells. They catch cape cobras in the middle of Cape Town. Every year people get killed by that highly dangerous snake.

8109B3AC-0CD0-4B78-867A-DDC31AD1AFFF.jpeg

Python on hippo hunt 2017. He had just come out of the reeds next to the water.

4608A183-9741-4AA3-83F3-71BD7826E71B.jpeg

Black Momba crossing the road during 2015 elephant hunt. Plenty of snakes in South Africa. And this was the 1st of August.

While I lived in Benoni, Transvaal, in the 60's, I took it upon myself to pick up all the ringhals (spitting cobras) marooned around Homestead dam, a lake that had become encircled by suburbs.
Funny things, they always signal when they are going to strike, but you should wear glasses because they spit venom. Often, to escape, they play dead, twisting over upside down with their mouth pushed to one side. If you turn one back over gently, it will insist on being "dead" and roll back upside down again. I got to like them.
A few years later, I stayed at a rough hotel while working at a steelworks, but went catching most weekends. I came back one evening with a snake box (like a small suitcase with prominent warning stickers) and stopped for a snack in the restaurant.
The owner started mocking my "lunch box" as pretentious, and ignored my telling him it had two snakes inside. I shook it, but he then accused me of making the hissing sound myself and told me to open it - if there were snakes inside, my coffee and sandwich were free!
I opened the lid and up popped two very angry ringhals with their hoods out and making a hell of a din.
Have you ever seen a restaurant with the entire clientele and staff, four deep, all trying to get out through a doorway together........

I really laughed reading this!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross