Snake protection on safari in South Africa

In Zim you would be 4th in line behind the primary and secondary tracker and PH on a game farm probably third in line with a single tracker and PH. Any snakes, they would be flushed out by the people in front of you.

Cobra will strike knee and below and a mamba up to about waist/hip height only if he is in raised aggressive posture. It is usually around knee / thigh height or lower.

Mamba can only raise about one third of its body off the ground so a large mamba is around 10-12ft. That means a bite at around 3-4ft high and lower.

The stories of mambas looking a grown man in the eye are just stories although it might seem like that when it happens to you.
A Mamba can raise 2/3 of it's body off the ground not 1/3. A mamba can strike you on a truck or in the face very easy.

Correct driving over one is a bad idea. They generally move away however they are territorial and if you get between them and their hole you need to swiftly retreat. They are an agressive snake.

Id be more wary in the camp, dont sit or stand on one and you will be fine.

A Mamba can raise 2/3 of it's body off the ground not 1/3. A mamba can strike you on a truck or in the face very easy.
That is not correct. It's an old wives tale. Yes if you are sitting on the edge of the bakkie/truck it could bite you on the hand or the bum in theory. People that have encountered a mamba on the back of a truck it is usually because the mamba has dropped off the branch etc as the truck went by. There are a number of myths revolving around the black mamba. The one above, also it can outrun a horse, they grow up to 20ft it can fly, it will chase you, etc

All myth and legend. It can only raise 1/3, it only moves at around 20km/h (12mp/h) at its top speed over open ground, largest recorded is around 14ft but generally a large specimen is 10-12ft. No it can't fly but i can "sail" over thick tall grass so it may look that way. Lastly id is a skittish snake and not an aggressive one and when cornered it will aggressively defend itself. With ANY snake if it coming towards you simply retreat and move 90 degrees to it line of travel. It just want's to get to the safety of its hole. If you run in the same direct it will look like it is chasing you.

I took my snake boots on all 3 of my trips was only able to wear them on the first 2, due to the swelling in my right leg, previous knee injury, I ended up having to wear my orthopedic shoes the 3 trip. The only snakes we came across was black mambas in Zimbabwe none in South Africa.

The other purpose for wearing the snake boots was to fend off jumping cactus and those nasty thorns that like to attack when wearing shorts. The boots also helped against a couple of ticks in Zimbabwe. I didn't get any ticks on me in South Africa, although my tracker in RSA did knock 2 ticks off him.

On my first trip to the East Cape, a couple of the other Phs at the lodge we're fascinated at my snake boots, had they been the right size I'm sure they would have tried to get them as they are also good for keeping you dry when the brush is wet from early morning dew or rain.

Snake boots also help keep your lower legs warm on those surprising early, before daylight, frosty mornings before the sun comes out and warms things up.

The bad thing about snake boots is the hard sole makes for a lot of crunching noise on the shell rock. Comparatively like walking on dry leaves, adding a little more difficulty to stalking those always alert sensitive hearing plains game animals.

Are your snake boots really needed during the African fall/winter? No.
Do snake boots come in handy? Yes.

Africa's summer months might be different. I can't say as I only hunt Africa during its fall and winter months when I can't hunt American big game, because it's our summer months.

My first trip to South Africa I was like you, worried about what I had read and heard about snakes. I took my lace up Danners I wear here in South Texas. Don’t hunt here without them.
That was the biggest mistake ever taking them. There is no need for them. Last three trips I wear Courtney’s and hunt. In 4 trips I have only seen 1 snake a Puff Adder and he was way to close. As in it crawled across the top of my right foot while I was standing still relieving my Bladder!!!
Just look around and watch your step.
So your snake didn't meet that snake ??

I’ve spent well over 100 days hunting various African countries, and only on 1 hunt in Botswana did I see more than 1 snake. My last 3 safaris have totaled 38 days and I’ve seen one cobra, which hurried away from us. I wish it would have stuck around long enough to get a picture.

Snakes are about the last thing I’d worry about. Watch where you put your hands and feet, be aware around termite mounds, keep your clothes and shoes off the ground in your tent (so you don’t get a scorpion bite) and…

HAVE A GREAT TIME,

The OP is a troll, Don't feed him.

I regularly hunting in Texas and run across poisonous snake so often I wear Snake boats or Snake chaps. I will go to Limpopo SA for a plains game hunt in May. Do I need snake protection? Boots ect? Do you run across a lot of snakes on safari
Ive been to Africa 3 times. I NEVER schedule trips to Africa in their summers. I only hunt there from May-July. Being there 3 times, twice in SA. We didn't have a problem at all with any snakes on a plains game hunt. My dad wore the snake chaps and all that and our PH and guides were laughing at him the whole time. We did see one dead mamba trying to cross a dirt road but nothing live in the field. The day time temps were in the mid 70s night 30-40s.

Zambia is another tale. Its warmer there and on my croc hunt there we did see puffadder crossing the road on the way back to camp. It was a tent hunt and they did warn us that pufadders or spitting cobras could enter our tents when we were out hunting.

SA in the winter/fall I think you will be fine. Mambas are aggressive but really they want nothing to do with you unless you corner them and piss them off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg