Smooth bore, Rifled, or Choke tubes

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Im "building a Martin shotgun (WW Greener action). Im thinking most of my shooting will be with "slugs"; but it would be nice to toss in some shot loads (maybe BuckShot, maybe Buck&Ball loads). My guess is most "slugs" would be Foster type slugs (unless I can figure how to reload round balls into brass shells).

Id love to have a real Paradox barrel; but havent been able to find one. My smith has a fully rifled barrel he can use; but that leaves out the shot loads (right?). I suppose I could be happy with a smooth bore that was tight enough for "slugs", I suppose.....

Then I thought about using changeable choke tubes. Im generally not a fan of choke tubes; but this might be a case where it would work. On the plus side it would work with slugs and shot (once I changed the tube). On the negative side its not exactly "period" looking.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of a rifled choke tube. When you want a single shot shotgun, changing tubes is fairly quick. Would make an interesting deer, boar, and turkey gun. I have a period Evans 12 bore paradox which shoots 3-inch hundred yard 4-shot groups (L/R L/R) with the traditional bullet. It also throws perfect modified patterns from each barrel. I have killed sand grouse and warthog from the same waterhole with it. Those men were geniuses, and I am pretty sure no one could recreate that alchemy today outside of Holland & Holland (they will be delighted to sell you a new paradox for around 130K). But the choke tube equipped Martini would likely give you a gun capable of shooting similar 3-inch groups with sabots, and obviously, a full choke tube would be decisive on a turkey. No pure smooth bore will ever give particularly great accuracy with a slug - it is essentially a musket after all. And because you are building the gun anyway, there is no reason not to take advantage of available modern technology which would be invisible in the final package. Now, go stick choke tubes in a fine period Greener pigeon gun and we might have words. :)

I ordered it today! I decided to go for a smoothbore and have it threaded for choke tubes
shtgn_st.jpg

12 Gauge - W.W.Greener Mark 111 Standard Bore
Rechambered to 12ga. 2 3/4in. It has a .710+/- at barrel end.
Forearm extends to end of barrel with a metal end cap.

Im thinking Express sights. I know these arent period but I like them, and I think they're perfect for game like Boar

SeeThru.jpg

Id love to do a barrel band front sight with maybe a ruby insert???

diamond-sight.jpg

Attachments

• diamond-sight.jpg
    diamond-sight.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 291
  • SeeThru.jpg
    SeeThru.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 278
  • shtgn_st.jpg
    shtgn_st.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 326
Im "building a Martin shotgun (WW Greener action). Im thinking most of my shooting will be with "slugs"; but it would be nice to toss in some shot loads (maybe BuckShot, maybe Buck&Ball loads). My guess is most "slugs" would be Foster type slugs (unless I can figure how to reload round balls into brass shells).

Id love to have a real Paradox barrel; but havent been able to find one. My smith has a fully rifled barrel he can use; but that leaves out the shot loads (right?). I suppose I could be happy with a smooth bore that was tight enough for "slugs", I suppose.....

Then I thought about using changeable choke tubes. Im generally not a fan of choke tubes; but this might be a case where it would work. On the plus side it would work with slugs and shot (once I changed the tube). On the negative side its not exactly "period" looking.

Thoughts?
Smooth with a MOD or IC constriction. I have had VERY good accuracy from Brenneke as well as cheap "Slugger" Remington slugs from a MOD choke Benelli. As in, 2-3" groups at 50 yards, 1/2"-1" groups (center to center) at 25 yards. You can also shoot buck and all manner of things through this construction with decent results, AND you don't have to worry about choke-tubes flying down range, seizing up, etc.

I have Hastings Barrels for my model 870 and my 1100 Remingtons. Both guns will clover-leaf three shots at 50 yards. The groups open up a bit at 100 yards but not enough to worry about. Both guns work well on deer and I imagine they would work on Planes Game providing the shot did not exceed 100 yards. A 12 Ga. is simply not enough gun fir DG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross