Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
FC81B8AB-D737-4D56-BE14-0D09C94D27EA.jpeg
And I am not talking about cigarettes, had to fire up the pit for an event this morning and figured since it was hot I might as well keep the smoke rolling and cook a brisket. Threw the brisket on about 9:00 this morning as we proceeded to cook and hand out close to 300 sausage wraps.

Brisket was done at 4:00 and rested in a cooler for an hour and a half. Took the point and made burnt ends. My wife whipped up some potato salad, beans, deviled eggs, and Brussel sprouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you didn't invite your AH buddies? :(:p

Reactions: cls
Just noticed your location, Kerrville, TX. Are they still making Mooneys there? Been to the factory a few times at homecoming.

Got my Brisket swimming in the brine till Wednesday, when it will be made into 10lbs of Montreal smoked meat. Yum Yum:love:.Nothing better than home smoked meats and cheese!

Recipe!?

lol - at first I thought that was a picture of a smoker's lung!

Yeah, sideways as posted it looked a slaughterhouse floor!:eek:

That’s interesting it does not show sideways on my end posted from my phone.

Yes they still make Mooney’s here

Good for you and your family.... Need to "adopt" us here on AH for mealtimes. You didn't mention the Blue Bell ice cream... Too bad your wife had to go and introduce a vegetable into the mix. Thanks for posting

12C24A7C-4E6E-4BDF-A6DD-24B4C78B58DA.jpeg
Very nice @AustinL, must be a Labor Day deal as I fired up my smoker pit and did 3 briskets, 5 racks of pork ribs, 2 racks of beef ribs, 6 chickes and 4 pork loins. I do this a couple times a year, chill the smoked meat then shrink wrap and freeze. Then we have BBQ several times throughout the year! Here’s the only picture I took, makes me hungry all over again!

I need some GPS coordinates please. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is quite the spread JES and not a bad way to do it. I sliced up the leftovers vacume packed it and froze it in meal sized portions.

The blue bell was there to compliment the peach cobbler

Brine:
1gallon water
3/4cup kosher salt
2tsp pink salt (Prague Powder}
1/4cup sugar
1/3cup pickling spice
2tbsp Montreal steak spice
Place brisket in a plastic container and cover with brine (needs to be covered by brine, container close to size of brisket helps)weigh down with a plate if required.
Leave in brine 5-7 days turning meat over once a day. When ready remove from brine and pat meat dry. Rub meat with Montreal steak spice until it has a generous coating and smoke over sugar maple wood for 5-7 hours.
After smoking, steam brisket over a water bath for 2-3 hours ( I use the oven broiler pan in the BBQ tented with aluminum foil for this step).
The brisket will have a black crust on the out side and tender juicy pink meat inside.
I like it on fresh rye bread with a little Dijon mustard and a homemade dill pickle on the side.

I know it's heresy here in Texas, but as much as I love smoked brisket, I also love corned beef and pastrami.

Corned beef is brisket, salt-cured for about 2 weeks, then boiled for an hour or so. Pastrami is corned beef which is then smoked for a few hours and then thin-sliced.

Whichever of those 3 ways it's prepared, brisket is one of my favorite cuts of meat.

That is quite the spread JES and not a bad way to do it. I sliced up the leftovers vacume packed it and froze it in meal sized portions.

The blue bell was there to compliment the peach cobbler

I was JUST about to comment on the Blue Bell in the background. Buttercrunch is my favorite, but I won't turn down the homemade vanilla, either.

Nothing at all wrong with corned beef or pastrami. Will have to try my hand at it some day

Nothing at all wrong with corned beef or pastrami. Will have to try my hand at it some day
"The Joy of Smoking and Salt-Curing Meat." At amazon for maybe $15. Loads of great recipes in there.

I've done Canadian bacon, smoked salmon, and of course corned beef and pastrami out of that book. Curing salt is pretty cheap.

I've got several small pork hams and shoulders from some pigs I killed about 6 weeks ago. I need to salt and smoke them.

9305FC21-D439-48F4-9AC1-53D4B4E78E8D.jpeg
I’ll check the book out. Outside of BBQ I have done Canadian bacon, regular bacon, smoked sausage, and dried sausage.

Going to try summer sausage as well this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Gravity-defying sausage!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brine:
1gallon water
3/4cup kosher salt
2tsp pink salt (Prague Powder}
1/4cup sugar
1/3cup pickling spice
2tbsp Montreal steak spice
Place brisket in a plastic container and cover with brine (needs to be covered by brine, container close to size of brisket helps)weigh down with a plate if required.
Leave in brine 5-7 days turning meat over once a day. When ready remove from brine and pat meat dry. Rub meat with Montreal steak spice until it has a generous coating and smoke over sugar maple wood for 5-7 hours.
After smoking, steam brisket over a water bath for 2-3 hours ( I use the oven broiler pan in the BBQ tented with aluminum foil for this step).
The brisket will have a black crust on the outside and tender juicy pink meat inside.
I like it on fresh rye bread with a little Dijon mustard and a homemade dill pickle on the side.

I will try this recipe on the weekend in hope that I will taste good. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross