Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
Daughter and I headed to SA in 2019 for our first trip. Wanted to get some advice on rifles calibers. Daughter wants a civit cat and a caracal cat. I was thinking of taking the wife's 6.5 creedmoor. But was wanting to use something a little more fur friendly. She has a gemsbuck and other planes game on the list. Any ideas of a good cal?

Ask your outfitter for his .22, that is plenty. Otherwise use solids.

The 6.5 Creedmor would be fine for plains game.

Enysse is right, if you can get a .22, although you need to shoot well with that gun.

I've had good luck with the bigger calibers using solids - I've shot small animals with a .375 (serval, among others), as well as a .416 (red duiker, among others). Most large calibers will whistle straight through and cause little damage.

Stay away from anything with high velocity. Even with solids they have a tendency to cause a lot of damage. With expanding bullets - even premium ones - the damage can be so severe it can be difficult to tell what you shot. I recently shot a Salt's dik-dik with a .300 win mag, and got to keep the skull. Body parts were spread over a large area.

my outfitter used a shotgun for the small cats

my outfitter used a shotgun for the small cats
This works, but you need to get pretty close - not always possible.

For the animals such as aardwolf and the smaller animals we've recently used a .243 shooting Impala bullets. They're essentially a solid with an edge that causes hydrostatic shock. A low velocity load leaves a small hole similar to a solid but with better knockdown. The results are impressive. If you could find impala or similar bullets that would be an option for you with your 6.5 creedmore. I wouldn't recommend an impala bullet for general plains game hunting however.

Enysse is right, if you can get a .22, although you need to shoot well with that gun.

I've had good luck with the bigger calibers using solids - I've shot small animals with a .375 (serval, among others), as well as a .416 (red duiker, among others). Most large calibers will whistle straight through and cause little damage.

Stay away from anything with high velocity. Even with solids they have a tendency to cause a lot of damage. With expanding bullets - even premium ones - the damage can be so severe it can be difficult to tell what you shot. I recently shot a Salt's dik-dik with a .300 win mag, and got to keep the skull. Body parts were spread over a large area.

hunted at night we got close

The 6.5 should serve you well.

Thanks everyone. Hoping they have something smaller. Think we will be hunting at night for them. My wife shot a coyote with her 6.5 and if you hit bone it sure makes a mess.

Not to be crude, but you aren't going for meat. The taxidermist can sew it all back, you want a sure 1 shot kill. Use the 6.5 and a solid.

.22 or shotgun or 375 with solid. Expanding bullets can blow huge holes on exit!

For the small cats, could you get some solids and load them a little on the lighter side? Do you reload? This might be a great excuse to get a RCBS Rock Chucker kit... Just saying. ;)

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=6.5mm

Screenshot (109).png

I love my 6.5 Creedmoors and was able to use one on a WY antelope last season. I used a Berger VLD Hunter and had a bang/flop at 200 yards and the bullet went clean through. And that little Creedmoor runs out to 1k+ very nicely.

I wonder what the real world performance difference between a .308 150 grain and a 143 grain 6.5 Creedmoor on appropriate African PG critters would be? I'm going to take the 6.5 CM on another big pig hunt in a few months. Hoping to shoot a tusker to euro and make sausage with. Are the bush pigs and warthogs that much more tough than the 150-300 lbs European oinkers that we have in CA? Bullet proof bacon? The largest PG I think I'd want much more gun than the 6.5 CM. Just me... and my excuse to buy a .375.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daughter and I headed to SA in 2019 for our first trip. Wanted to get some advice on rifles calibers. Daughter wants a civit cat and a caracal cat. I was thinking of taking the wife's 6.5 creedmoor. But was wanting to use something a little more fur friendly. She has a gemsbuck and other planes game on the list. Any ideas of a good cal?

You mention Gemsbuck, I take it you mean Gemsbok and other plains game. I would contact your PH and see what calibre they recommend for these animals and borrow their 22 for the cats or solids/ heavy but slow soft point from her PG rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!