Sling Swivels for a best rifle?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
for high quality rifles that have a nice barrel band swivel mount and say a Ken Howell type inletted stud, what sling swivels do you recommend?

A.) I don't want to rattle around on a hunt like a goof

B.) I don't want to scratch the English walnut stock nor do I want to have the barrel band show scraping or undo wear

Removable / detachable would be nice in case I decide to do a stalk without a sling but I defer to the wisdom of this forum.

Try a Paracord sling

That wasn't the question and would never be the solution. I have a fine quality sling appropriate for the venue and type of gun. I asked what type of swivels to use.

Excuse Me

Excused. :)

In re-reading my response I realize it reads harshly. Not my intent. Just wasn't the answer I was seeking. All the best.

No Problem as I had just installed swivels on my stock
DSC00298.JPG
and I had Paracord on the Brain as I was just looking at one on e-bay for my latest mauser Build

Not something I thing about a lot unless I am trying to fit the studs on a Euro rifle of some sort. Assuming it is a standard US configuration, any of the screw/plunger models will work. I like Trader Keith's slings in part because the leather protects both metal and wood regardless of sling style. Thin Nylon straps often allow a lot of contact with both. They are the real culprit.

Gents, both of you are off target. ;)

I'm asking about which metal swivels are quiet and don't mar best guns. I already have the sling part (padded leather / calf skin) figured out. :)

I was hoping for an answer that was better than "uncle mikes" and was hopefully not some tactical thing.

Basically: what swivels would you put on a pre-64 Winchester model 70 or a rigby? (And yes, U.S. Hole size not Euro)

I might not be as dense as you imply I am - I understood and I answered. I have a number of "best guns" and I own a pre-64 Super Grade. As long as they fit the stud and are easily removable (the Euro issue), I do not give a wit who makes the swivels. I do care a lot about the sling. the connection to the swivel is what protects the wood and the barrel. Is that on target or should I type slower?

Children, children.

Metal sling swivels that won't rattle. Come to think of it, I have sling swivels by Blaser, KNS, Turner Saddlery and others. I have never been trouble by any of them rattleing. I believe the main issue will be using a sling with the sling swivels of choice that will not allow any metal contact with wood. I've managed that feat one a couple of Weatherbys with Biothane slings but then they're "tactical" so you wouldn't like them.

You can spend a hell of a lot more, but I think GrovTec swivels are excellent. They're American-made (not automatically a great thing, but vs. China I believe it is), and they don't have plastic parts slipped in like Uncle Mikes (Chinese) now do. They fit securely, and when paired with NECG and Vero Vellini slings on 2 rifles with barrel band front swivels, I get nary a squeak, rattle, or scratch. Oh, and they're $8-$10/pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you