Sling Swivels for a best rifle?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
for high quality rifles that have a nice barrel band swivel mount and say a Ken Howell type inletted stud, what sling swivels do you recommend?

A.) I don't want to rattle around on a hunt like a goof

B.) I don't want to scratch the English walnut stock nor do I want to have the barrel band show scraping or undo wear

Removable / detachable would be nice in case I decide to do a stalk without a sling but I defer to the wisdom of this forum.

Try a Paracord sling

That wasn't the question and would never be the solution. I have a fine quality sling appropriate for the venue and type of gun. I asked what type of swivels to use.

Excuse Me

Excused. :)

In re-reading my response I realize it reads harshly. Not my intent. Just wasn't the answer I was seeking. All the best.

No Problem as I had just installed swivels on my stock
DSC00298.JPG
and I had Paracord on the Brain as I was just looking at one on e-bay for my latest mauser Build

Not something I thing about a lot unless I am trying to fit the studs on a Euro rifle of some sort. Assuming it is a standard US configuration, any of the screw/plunger models will work. I like Trader Keith's slings in part because the leather protects both metal and wood regardless of sling style. Thin Nylon straps often allow a lot of contact with both. They are the real culprit.

Gents, both of you are off target. ;)

I'm asking about which metal swivels are quiet and don't mar best guns. I already have the sling part (padded leather / calf skin) figured out. :)

I was hoping for an answer that was better than "uncle mikes" and was hopefully not some tactical thing.

Basically: what swivels would you put on a pre-64 Winchester model 70 or a rigby? (And yes, U.S. Hole size not Euro)

I might not be as dense as you imply I am - I understood and I answered. I have a number of "best guns" and I own a pre-64 Super Grade. As long as they fit the stud and are easily removable (the Euro issue), I do not give a wit who makes the swivels. I do care a lot about the sling. the connection to the swivel is what protects the wood and the barrel. Is that on target or should I type slower?

Children, children.

Metal sling swivels that won't rattle. Come to think of it, I have sling swivels by Blaser, KNS, Turner Saddlery and others. I have never been trouble by any of them rattleing. I believe the main issue will be using a sling with the sling swivels of choice that will not allow any metal contact with wood. I've managed that feat one a couple of Weatherbys with Biothane slings but then they're "tactical" so you wouldn't like them.

You can spend a hell of a lot more, but I think GrovTec swivels are excellent. They're American-made (not automatically a great thing, but vs. China I believe it is), and they don't have plastic parts slipped in like Uncle Mikes (Chinese) now do. They fit securely, and when paired with NECG and Vero Vellini slings on 2 rifles with barrel band front swivels, I get nary a squeak, rattle, or scratch. Oh, and they're $8-$10/pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg