Skin game in minutes with a golf ball...

Rick Cox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
I just learned about this method of skinning game. Evidently I'm last the last one to hear about it:) Lots of guys locally are using it on deer but I hear it works for elk and moose as well. Bonus: the meat stays clean, no hair. You can also lie the animal on a tarp. Doesn't have to suspended.

I've never seen it before either.
I am doing that with my next deer, except like you said laying down on a tarp.
The wife may not be happy about it, but I'm doing it anyway.

Yep, I have some friends in Georgia who've been doing this for a couple decades at their skinning shack on their place. They do it with a pulley the line goes through attached to the cement pad so it goes straight down. Any average sized ball or smooth rock works just as well for the job.

I still don’t see how the golf ball works. Not clear on video
The golf ball gets placed under the hide and the rope goes over it, on the outside of the hide.
The smooth surface of the golf ball gives an anchor point without sharp edges to pull the hide.
No sharp edges means the pressure is distributed evenly, preventing the hide from tearing.

My problem is I quit golfing about 20 years ago...:(

I'll be trying that method, sure beats a lot of knife work and just after I got a new knife made by a mate Ted Mitchell.
Has any anyone used an air hose to skin foxes before. Very easy. Put a Nick in the skin, insert a needle blower about quarter inch diameter and blow the fox up like a balloon.
Bob

@BeeMaa I also quit golfing, having kids made it difficult to get the “go pass” from my wife to play golf for 5 hours. Hunting for meat has always gotten an approval from the minister of home affairs, especially when my son started eating venison.

Thank God I don’t miss as often hunting as I did when playing golf.

@Rick Cox I've never tried this method, but I’m going to this year. We have been hanging deer on the kids’ zip line in the yard. The zip line pulley holds the deer and we tie off to an ATV. We can raise and lower really easy by just moving the ATV to pull the animal farther up the slope. We gotta warn people coming up the driveway though, it is not what one would expect to see on a zip line.

I still don’t see how the golf ball works. Not clear on video
You pull up a handful of slack hide and wrap the golf ball or stone into it forming a ball of hide wrapped around the golf ball. Hold it together and tie a rope around the 'neck' formed by twisting the hide around the ball. Think of when you were a kid and had an 'all day sucker' that came rapped in wax paper. The paper was twisted around the stick of the sucker. You tie your rope around the twist, but make sure several inches if hide is outside the rope to allow for stretching etc.
Then give 'er!

Watching that I thought he might pull the deer away from it's neck leaving the head in the tree and the rest dragging on the ground. Pretty slick.

That's been around a long time- used to see articles about it in hook and bullet rags 20-30+ years ago. I like the golf ball lingo touch :) ... can use a small rock or stone or piece of wood but using "golf ball" has a catchy ring to it I guess.

The technique or trick of using a pocketed object to attach any fabric or hide to a line may be the most important take away form this. Really handy for tarps and flies with no reenforced grommets or when those have been torn out.

Last edited:
That's been around a long time- used to see articles about it in hook and bullet rags 20-30+ years ago. I like the golf ball lingo touch :) ... can use a small rock or stone or piece of wood but using "golf ball" has a catchy ring to it I guess.

The technique or trick of using a pocketed object to attach any fabric or hide to a line may be the most important take away form this. Really handy for tarps and flies with no reenforced grommets or when those have been torn out.
I've used the same concept for making shelters out plastic, but sure never thought of using it this way!

I'll be trying that method, sure beats a lot of knife work and just after I got a new knife made by a mate Ted Mitchell.
Has any anyone used an air hose to skin foxes before. Very easy. Put a Nick in the skin, insert a needle blower about quarter inch diameter and blow the fox up like a balloon.
Bob
Never tried an air hose on Fox but I've seen it used in cattle and it worked great. I'll definitely try it on canines!! Thanks Bob!

Bob

Your method works well on deer also. My wife's cousin a Tennessee farm boy showed me that trick a number of years ago. Like they say "there is more than one way to skin a deer." However, I think it works best on fresh kills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!