Skin creases

Dbrown4183

AH member
Reaction score
Media
This is definitely a newbie question. I received my crate of trophies from South Africa yesterday and am ecstatic to be able to get them on the wall. I received some skins however and I dont know the best way to get the creases out of them wherr they were folded. I assume it is something easy but just looking for some direction. Any helpful ideas?

What I have done.
Lay them out flat. Some times I have used weights. It can take a while.
You can steam them and moisten the seam and relax the leather a bit.

Last edited:
Time mostly. Not to worry

Reactions: IvW
This is definitely a newbie question. I received my crate of trophies from South Africa yesterday and am ecstatic to be able to get them on the wall. I received some skins however and I dont know the best way to get the creases out of them wherr they were folded. I assume it is something easy but just looking for some direction. Any helpful ideas?

Working with leather and hair on hides I sometimes get hides with creases. This is what I do.

One way......Most often just unfold them, lay out on smooth flat surface, either stack hides directly on top each other starting with smaller hides on bottom, or place a piece of cardboard the size or larger than the between each of the hides, rotate every 2 or 3 days...bottom hide to top...until all hides are flat.

Second way....weather permitting....hang hides on clothes line with wooden clothes pins....insuring...not to....fold hide as normally done when hanging clothes out to dry.

Then....loosely....roll hides up let set a day or two, unroll hides, wrinkles, light creases should be out. Heavier creases may require placing a flat weighted object on the cardboard to help flatten the hide.

Unless you know how the hide was tanned/processed,...I would not recommend dampening or lightly wetting the hide (skin side) to relax the hide, without warm dry air to dry the hide, the hide could mold. Same goes for using a steam iron set on low medium heat to press the crease out.

I have no experience with using a hair dryer (skin side) set at low or medium heat.

Hope this helps

Throw them over the couch or on the foot of a bed, that's what has worked for me.

What I have done.
Lay them out flat. Some times I have used weights. It can take a while.
You can steam them and moisten the seam and relax the leather a bit.
+1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross