Sitting here in LAX... glass of wine and passport in hand...

rnovi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, HFMA, and a Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Hunted
South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
I’m sitting here in LAX...a glass of wine in front of me, Passport in hand, 2 hours from boarding a flight on Virgin Atlantic that will spirit me on to my third Safari.

All I can think of is how blessed my life is to allow me to do something so grand.

The past 16 months for me have been a crazy whirlwind. I suppose one could call it a midlife crisis but I think it more a moment in time when I began to truly decide what was important to me as I enter the Third half of life.

This has not been an easy year for me. I turned 50 this year, changed jobs twice (*well, different companies), watched my precious first girl (Audrey, my 11.5 year old Duck Tolling Retriever) pass away...celebrated 15 years of marriage to the most wonderful wife...and her gift to me on this year of all years was to find a very special hunt to send me off to.

So here I am, glass of wine in hand, heading to Leopards Valley Safari’s a third time for a Sable Hunt (*along with Gemsbok, Vaal, and a few other TBD critters of opportunity) to hunt with my good friends Dave and Nikki and my PH of my two previous hunts Craig Done one more time.

It’s been a helluva ride this last year and I’m glad to be through it. No doubt, God has blessed me and watched over me. Wish me luck!

Good luck and shoot straight

Thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted!!

This ain't no dress rehearsal. Enjoy your hunt and good luck!

Good hunting and safe travels!

Awesome! Good luck and have fun. Look forward to the report.

Way to go. Get it while the getting's good. Life's too short not to.

Best of luck! Look forward to the report!

Rnovi, hope you have an awesome adventure! Don’t forget pictures and report!

Thanks for the best wishes all!

Now, don’t think too poorly of me when I tell you I’m not packing my own rifle this time but rather borrowing a rifle. This was a cancellation Hunt I got the jump on and didn’t have enough time to get the rifle permits managed.

What I will say is this: I have two small carryons and no checked baggage. This has been some of the easiest travel yet!

What I will say is this: I have two small carryons and no checked baggage. This has been some of the easiest travel yet!

I like that idea!

Best of luck and safe travels!!

Thanks for the best wishes all!

Now, don’t think too poorly of me when I tell you I’m not packing my own rifle this time but rather borrowing a rifle. This was a cancellation Hunt I got the jump on and didn’t have enough time to get the rifle permits managed.

Yes - carryon only is the only way to travel. I've even converted my wife.

I've used guns provided by the outfitters on each of my safaris. Only on one safari was that less than ideal - actually two guns. The first was a 7mm for lion that didn't want to die. (Not even a legal caliber!) When I was down to just two rounds for the 7mm, the outfitter took a gun from his brother who had driven over to see the dead lion and gave that to me. Not sure of the caliber of the second gun, but its "real" safety wasn't working, so it was bolt up (safety on) bolt down (safety off) - very bad idea, but better than no gun or a gun with no ammo when the lion decided to charge!

Have a great hunt!

Stay Safe and Shoot Straight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg