AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
RSA, USA (MN, SD, ND, TX)
Has anyone hunted for Sitka black-tail deer on here? If so, how difficult of a hunt was it? I have recently become interested in this hunt because it seems relatively affordable, and you can shoot up to three bucks. If anyone has some insight on this hunt, I would be interested in hearing about it. Also, I would love to see pics of the deer you got, thanks!

It’s a great hunt. I shot two nice bucks in august 2013 and 3 bucks in Nov 2017 on prince of Wales island. The august hunt, if you have good weather, you will see a lot of deer and can take trophy bucks because they are in the open alpine up high. You have opportunity to glass and stalk. They have summer/early fall coat and possibly still in velvet. The November rut hunt you will see less deer because in trees down lower, but they will come into call. They also have a very pretty coat for a mount in November and orange antlers. I saw lots of bucks on the august hunt. I saw 4 bucks total in 8 days on the November hunt, both are good experiences but different. Prince of wales island is still 4 bucks I believe, kodiak island is only 2, not sure about other areas, possibly 3 like you mentioned.

It’s a difficult or as easy as you want it to be. You can walk logging roads and may bump into a deer or you may have to climb high. Prince of wales island was some of most challenging terrain I’ve been in (off the logging roads) because you are always climbing over things. There are some really good meat eater and Randy newberg YouTube videos of hunting Sitka blacktail that show the hunt and terrain better than I can describe.

I hunted them in Kodiak for about 10 years. We hunted them when the snow pushes them down to the beach from skiffs mostly. Lots of deer and lots of fun. I have a ton of pics and will post some when I get to my laptop.

It’s a difficult or as easy as you want it to be. You can walk logging roads and may bump into a deer or you may have to climb high. Prince of wales island was some of most challenging terrain I’ve been in (off the logging roads) because you are always climbing over things. There are some really good meat eater and Randy newberg YouTube videos of hunting Sitka blacktail that show the hunt and terrain better than I can describe.
Ok thanks for the advice about the videos, I'll definitely check them out. I was looking into how physically involved it is because I have never hunted mountainous terrain and was just seeing where this compared to other hunts. Thanks for the help!

Ok thanks for the advice about the videos, I'll definitely check them out. I was looking into how physically involved it is because I have never hunted mountainous terrain and was just seeing where this compared to other hunts. Thanks for the help!
The outfitter I hunted with recommended corked boots. They really made a huge difference inside the tree line because you could climb on fallen trees and not slip on roots. They were quiet inside the trees but obviously not on the road. I wouldn’t hunt for deer on prince of wales island without them though. The toughest part of prince of wales island was the constant rain, quality rain gear was a must. I chose prince of wales island over kodiak because prince of wales island doesn’t winter kill except in heavily timbered areas. Others here will have more knowledge, but kodiak winter kills every so many years so the deer population is up and down.

It’s a long season, August through December in a lot of SE Alaska (check regulations, some areas close the end of Nov.). The alpine hunting in August/early Sept. is incredible. There is generally significant hiking to do for that. It’s been my experience that the bucks disappear when they leave the high country and head down pre-rut. November rut hunting is the most fun in my opinion, the bucks come to the call quite readily. Watch out for Mr. Brown Bear…it’s good to have a partner then.

If it is a heavy snow year, the animals are driven to the beach and are fairly easy pickings, although the big boys wise-up real quick and become scarce at the sound of an approaching boat. This is the time of year that the locals “harvest”, it really can’t be classified as hunting. Weather is a big factor now, and I would probably avoid trying to travel here for that. As an example over Christmas vacation my son and I were only able to get out one day.

To expand on weather, it’s always a factor in Alaska. Don’t schedule your return too tightly. Additionally, it’s shaping up to be a bitch of a winter so far in SE, with the bucks and fawns taking the brunt of it. There will be significant winter kill. I believe Kodiak is getting a little milder weather, if I were planning 2022 I would probably look in that direction. Plus they get better head gear there. Prince of Wales Island is gonna be tough sledding next season for sure. I’m N of there 150 miles or so, and we are getting hammered too.

If you have any questions I’ll try to help. It’s a great hunt in some truly amazing country.

It’s a long season, August through December in a lot of SE Alaska (check regulations, some areas close the end of Nov.). The alpine hunting in August/early Sept. is incredible. There is generally significant hiking to do for that. It’s been my experience that the bucks disappear when they leave the high country and head down pre-rut. November rut hunting is the most fun in my opinion, the bucks come to the call quite readily. Watch out for Mr. Brown Bear…it’s good to have a partner then.

If it is a heavy snow year, the animals are driven to the beach and are fairly easy pickings, although the big boys wise-up real quick and become scarce at the sound of an approaching boat. This is the time of year that the locals “harvest”, it really can’t be classified as hunting. Weather is a big factor now, and I would probably avoid trying to travel here for that. As an example over Christmas vacation my son and I were only able to get out one day.

To expand on weather, it’s always a factor in Alaska. Don’t schedule your return too tightly. Additionally, it’s shaping up to be a bitch of a winter so far in SE, with the bucks and fawns taking the brunt of it. There will be significant winter kill. I believe Kodiak is getting a little milder weather, if I were planning 2022 I would probably look in that direction. Plus they get better head gear there. Prince of Wales Island is gonna be tough sledding next season for sure. I’m N of there 150 miles or so, and we are getting hammered too.

If you have any questions I’ll try to help. It’s a great hunt in some truly amazing country.
Thanks, this is some great info. I will definitely let you know if I have more questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross