Single shot 35 whelen as my medium

poco

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
I’m thinking about buying a scout 35 whelen for my larger PG rifle, just not sure , if renting a rifle from the PH
and taking my shotgun for our bird days is a wiser choice?
ammo for the 35 is limited in the USA to barns 200 gr ttsx or federal fusion or 250gr Remington core loke
my safari partner says rent, or barrow a 375 to avoid the hassle and having a safe queen after the hunt

I’m thinking about buying a scout 35 whelen for my larger PG rifle, just not sure , if renting a rifle from the PH
and taking my shotgun for our bird days is a wiser choice?
ammo for the 35 is limited in the USA to barns 200 gr ttsx or federal fusion or 250gr Remington core loke
my safari partner says rent, or barrow a 375 to avoid the hassle and having a safe queen after the hunt
That would be a good choice but if you have an '06 in that safe it will handle all of the PG quite nicely. Then use that money that you would have spent on a new rifle and add another animal to your hunt.

The 35 Whelen will do just fine. I took mine on the last trip and took a nice kudu with it.
The good Ole .30-06 is every bit capable of taking most of the plains game.

It sounds like you have a primary rifle already. What will that be?
What options are available for rent?
A shotgun can be a lot of fun if good wing shooting options are available.

The 35 Whelen will do just fine. I took mine on the last trip and took a nice kudu with it.
The good Ole .30-06 is every bit capable of taking most of the plains game.

I want to say that woodleigh made a 310gr soft for the 35 whelen? Whatever it was, it was obscenely heavy. For close-in Africa work, that would be a wonderful gun, not that different than the old 9.3x57 and 9.5x57.

I think the better question to ask from the OP is why don't you spend as much money as you can afford and buy yourself a really, really nice 375HH? After your safari, have loads built for you in the 235gr-250gr range and use it all over America in lieu of a .338 or .35 whelen? When they are loaded with light bullets, you get a flat shooting gun with only 26lbs of recoil. It's exactly what my 12 year old son has used the past couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.