Single Bevel Broadhead vs Double Bevel--test vid

Bowhuntr64,

Interesting and informative as always.... You mentioned that you tested 125 grain heads comparatively. However, unless I missed it, I didn't hear you mention the total arrow weight and the front of center (FOC) weight distribution on the test arrows.

According to the most recent data, inclusive of Ashby's latest testing, the true benefits of the single-bevel design do not really reveal themselves until the total arrow weight is north of 600 grains and the FOC is in the 19-30% range. That heavier arrow, in combination with a significant FOC build, are supposed to be the two most prominent factors that create the most desirable single-bevel design performance characteristics of splitting bone, spiral cutting, and overall penetration. Even Ashby noted that the benefits of the single-bevel design were significantly less prominent with lighter arrows and less FOC.

Additionally, the single-bevel design forces immediate arrow rotation just as if you had right (or left) helical front fletches that, in theory, result in better downrange accuracy especially with higher FOC builds...

I would be very interested to see what your side-by-side penetration results would be with arrows of at least 600 grains, and 25% or more of FOC. I would also be very interested to see the comparison in the groups you can shoot out to 30-40-50 yards and beyond... Maybe something to consider for single-bevel vs. double-bevel Part-2...?

Some very interesting recent data on this subject for those who have not yet seen it in the link below:

https://dangercloseoutdoors.com/12-factors

Very good comment above. Thank you! I understand that about the heavier arrows and higher FOC. I will be using much heavier tips in my Buffalo hunt next year. The arrow in this vid was 650 gr and the FOC was just over 16%.

Top notch as always!!

Have you ever did any penetration tests with the same coc head that one head had a light coat of vaseline or other lube on the cutting edge ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross