Silliest thing you've seen a client bring along?

Ruark

AH member
Reaction score
I've heard many stories about some extravagant or nonsensical item some client just HAD to bring on a safari. A feather mattress. A portable putting green. A violin (had to stay in practice, you know...). 100 year old wines. Ironing board (must'nt have those nasty wrinkles on the veldt).

I wonder what kind of predators a violin would attract in the middle of the night.(n)

What is the silliest or most extreme thing you've seen a client bring on a hunt?

- Ruark

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
when we were in Africa last year , roy and jenny wormald , were telling us funny stories about how some clients bring there own toilet paper and bath towels sheets and blankets .

the funniest thing ive seen ,was when my daughter about just 16 she brought make up on a week end hunt , not to wear while hunting , but to put that goupe on before any photos were taken , if she was fortunate enough to bag a stag .she was most adamate that no photos would be taken of her with out the war paint on ....... we laugh about it some times ......

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
A guy showed up for a 7 day buff and pg hunt in Tanzania with a .375 AND a .458 Winnie!o_O

Pondoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
I would say bringing along 100 year old red wine would not be all that silly...:Hungry:

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I heard of a hunter from a large Eastern European country bringing several "ladies of the night" along on his safari.
. Gives new meaning to spending ten days in the bush.

Kano

AH senior member
Reaction score
Full Drag Queen costume...

That was for a video, but his accompanying PH had to don one of these at the end of the hunt...! I was sworn to secrecy and to a 100 years ban on showing pictures to anyone... :LOL: :D :p

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.

BigSteve57

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
Well if 100 year old wine is silly how does bringing a 15 year old bottle of single malt Scotch rate?
We actually brought it as a gift to our host/outfitter but he graciously shared like we knew he would. :)

I forgot to mention: I also brought a small roll of duct tape in our luggage which I threw into my side pocket while we were in the field. I take a roll everywhere we travel, even camping. It is one of my quirks.

Last edited:

Bushman10

AH senior member
Reaction score
A client said that if something is moving and it should not be then that is what the duct tape is for and if it is not moving and it should be then that is what the WD40 is for. Never goes around without these two items.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
I heard of a hunter from a large Eastern European country bringing several "ladies of the night" along on his safari.
I would say bringing along 100 year old red wine would not be all that silly...:Hungry:

So what is "silly" about these? I don't understand, but I am a newbie and have never been so someone please splain before I screw up!!!!:A Banana:

Foxi

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
Round twenty years ago, a good friend of mine ,was sheephunting in the Kluane Lake area/Yukon Territory .
An Austrian older guest came with a "lady".
To his astonishment, she doesn't want to go in the outpostcamp with him.
You know, sheep hunting is hard work.
The "lady" was young, beautiful,charming and very,very professional.
The Austrian guy was flown out, a few days for sheep (be sure,the farest camp they had;).
Grapevine is not only working in Africa.
And the base camp never saw so many young guides as in those days.

Life goes on and sometimes you have no choice:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Last edited:

270Buck

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
BASC
Hunted
England, Scotland & Wales - Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer, Roe, Fallow, Sika Red, Goat, Soay Sheep, Wild Boar, Holland - Wild Boar, Germany - Wild Boar, Czech Republic - Mouflon, Spain - Ibex, South Africa - Various PG, France - Chamois, Majorca - Balearean Boc, Kyrgyzstan - Mid Asian Ibex
Full Drag Queen costume...

That was for a video, but his accompanying PH had to don one of these at the end of the hunt...! I was sworn to secrecy and to a 100 years ban on showing pictures to anyone... :LOL: :D :p

I think this must be more common practise than what people think :cry:

I love the videos that J.Alain Smith has done on Youtube. He has certainly given me a lot of inspiration to hunt various species around the world.

He has a great sense of humour and I would not hesitate on hosting him in England. Not sure I would want to dress in drag mind you!! I only do that on a Sunday!!

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
J. Alain Smith is a very nice guy. I emailed him not to long ago asking him a question. Not only did he respond but he responded the next day. He was very nice and more than happy to answer any question I had.

Big5

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
Well if 100 year old wine is silly how does bringing a 15 year old bottle of single malt Scotch rate?

It rates high in my book BigSteve! It's rare that I won't pack a bottle of my favorite single malt Scotch to sip around the campfire in the evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JakeMannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.