Dinosaur

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Kenya
G'day folks

I have an old book called 'In Wildest Africa', Volume I, by C. G. Schillings (1907) and inside the front cover there is a signature, which I am guessing was the owner of the book, but it could have been given as a gift, as there is a nickname noted below the signature (which could have been an affectionate thing).

My question is, did the book belong to Denis D. Lyell, who was the author of many hunting books at the time ?

Or is it just a coincidence, as there may be others of the same name.

My father collected a few hunting books when he lived in Africa, this was one of them, so it's not like it was purchased outside of the 'Dark Continent'.

Regards

Rob

Denis D.Lyell -Signature in book #1.png
Denis D.Lyell -Signature in book #2.png
Denis D.Lyell -Signature in book #3.png
Denis D.Lyell - Memories of an African Hunter.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Could well be. There is no reason to fake his signature, so it is merely a question of whether or not it is the correct Lyell. Someone may have an autographed copy of one of his books with which to compare signatures.

Could well be. There is no reason to fake his signature, so it is merely a question of whether or not it is the correct Lyell. Someone may have an autographed copy of one of his books with which to compare signatures.

G'day Red Leg,

I was hoping to find a signature on the internet, but my searches under key words revealed nothing, except a publishers signature .:(

But during the searches on Google, I always do find interesting articles on other topics, so it's always a good thing doing a search. (y)

Regards

Rob

Hello Rob!
I feel pretty confident that this is indeed Lyell's autograph!
"Peebles" is not a nickname, but a place in Scotland, where Denis D. Lyell lived in his later years. He died there in 1946.

Lyell's books are great reading and rare, the Schillings book also a classic - you have a real treasure!
Seems that this book travelled from Scotland to Africa somehow...

Regards:
Kouprey

lyell denis_tusk 1909.jpg
lyell denis.jpg

I note lyell was a slightly built man, do you know what calibre he shot? After another day at the range today observing someone on the slight side being hammered by a 458 Lott, I wonder - does the extra firepower compensate for the sideplate sized groups at 50 meters? Maybe ours is an atypical group, although several PH's in there, but I have yet to see stellar big bore shooting.

Hello Rob!
I feel pretty confident that this is indeed Lyell's autograph!
"Peebles" is not a nickname, but a place in Scotland, where Denis D. Lyell lived in his later years. He died there in 1946.

Lyell's books are great reading and rare, the Schillings book also a classic - you have a real treasure!
Seems that this book travelled from Scotland to Africa somehow...

Regards:
Kouprey

View attachment 353411 View attachment 353412

G'day Kouprey

Your a wealth of knowledge, I really appreciate your detailed response (y):)

I never thought of Peebles being a place in Scotland, what a sleuth you are, great work.

I have only read a few articles written by Dennis, and the Peter Capstick's reprint 'Memories of an African Hunter', but intend to read more.

Once Again

Thank you

Regards
Rob

IIRC Lyell preferred small bore rifles due to a bad shoulder dislocation earlier in life (polo..?)..

I guess you sir have a very nice book to keep IN The family!

Interesting question. I think the signature does look like Lyell's, but I'm not sure that he lived in Peebles (Scotland), though he did live in Comrie (Scotland). The preface of his 1935 book, African Adventure - Letters from Famous Big Game Hunters, closes with "Denis D. Lyell. Rossdhal, Comrie, Perthshire." A 1936 letter, below, shows the same address. The letter comes from a GunsInternational listing, now sold. Also, as you can read in the letter, he did collect books.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/gun-parts---accessories/books-and-magazines/genuine-handwritten-letter-from-denis-lyell.cfm?gun_id=101204644

Lyell_Hand-written_letter_1936.JPG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.22.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.22.06 PM.png
    985.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.22.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.22.08 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
To follow up on my earlier post, it looks like Denis Lyell did live in Peebles in the mid-1920s. Looking at the text of African Adventure-Letters from Famous Big Game Hunters, letters to Lyell from Abel Chapman (July 1926 and April 1928) and and J.G. Millais (June 1928) suggest that he was living in Peebles.

Dear Kevin!
Pondoro is right, for elephant hunting Lyell - like Bell and Stigand - was an advocat of smaller calibres, but only for headshots, preferably from the side. He experimented also with various calibres and actions. He writes: "I have owned and used quite forty rifles of all kinds, and I unhesitatingly say that for African sport the magazine action is the best."
Lyell writes in "Memories of an African Hunter": "There are three (rifles) any one of which will kill anything in Africa just as well as the largest rifle made, and these are 7.9 mm (.311), .318 "Axite", and the .350 either H.V. or "Magnum". I found all good, but if I were going back to Africa I should choose a .318 made by Rigby, because I like the balance and sighting of his rifles and have always found them well made."

He writes that he "bombarded" a elephant's head with a .256 Gibbs-Mannlicher, after a chest shot from his .400 Jeffery failed to anchor the beast: "One of these tiny bullets got his brain and the business was over".
He had a close call with an charging elephant which he shot several times at the forehead with his .303 Gibbs magazine rifle before it finally collapsed within a few paces from him.
Lyell also writes about smaller calibres: "(...) although perfect for the brain shot they may be rather small for the heart or lung shot, as the animal does not die so quickly, so for body shots I certainly think a .416 or .470 H.V. rifle is more humane."

I don't have all of Lyell's books but the remarks above I found in "Memories from an African Hunter" and "The African Elephant and its hunters".

Regards:
Kouprey

Thank you Kouprey. It makes so much sense - finesse for brain, big bore for heart lung.

Here are a few pictures from Lyell's books - just to show some of his rifles. The elephant is the same, only from different angles.

All the best:
Kouprey

lyell_african elephant1.jpg
lyell_african elephant2.jpg
lyell_rhino_northern-rhodesia.jpg
lyell_rhino2.jpg

To follow up on my earlier post, it looks like Denis Lyell did live in Peebles in the mid-1920s. Looking at the text of African Adventure-Letters from Famous Big Game Hunters, letters to Lyell from Abel Chapman (July 1926 and April 1928) and and J.G. Millais (June 1928) suggest that he was living in Peebles.

Thank you Hannay for the really interesting history and photo of the Denis' signature, I really appreciate you going out of your way to find such incredibly useful information. :)

I look forward to seeing more from your library in the future, you are definitely an asset to this forum. (y)

Greatly appreciated :)

Regards
Rob

Dear Kevin!
Pondoro is right, for elephant hunting Lyell - like Bell and Stigand - was an advocat of smaller calibres, but only for headshots, preferably from the side. He experimented also with various calibres and actions. He writes: "I have owned and used quite forty rifles of all kinds, and I unhesitatingly say that for African sport the magazine action is the best."
Lyell writes in "Memories of an African Hunter": "There are three (rifles) any one of which will kill anything in Africa just as well as the largest rifle made, and these are 7.9 mm (.311), .318 "Axite", and the .350 either H.V. or "Magnum". I found all good, but if I were going back to Africa I should choose a .318 made by Rigby, because I like the balance and sighting of his rifles and have always found them well made."

He writes that he "bombarded" a elephant's head with a .256 Gibbs-Mannlicher, after a chest shot from his .400 Jeffery failed to anchor the beast: "One of these tiny bullets got his brain and the business was over".
He had a close call with an charging elephant which he shot several times at the forehead with his .303 Gibbs magazine rifle before it finally collapsed within a few paces from him.
Lyell also writes about smaller calibres: "(...) although perfect for the brain shot they may be rathher small for the heart or lung shot, as the animal does not die so quickly, so for body shots I certainly think a .416 or .470 H.V. rifle is more humane."

I don't have all of Lyell's books but the remarks above I found in "Memories from an African Hunter" and "The African Elephant and its hunters".

Regards:
Kouprey

Great info Kouprey, Denis must have had nerves of steel to stand his ground with such a light caliber, it's been a long time since I have read one of his books, I will need to read it again. By the way , great photos of the elephant, absolute classics.(y)

Regards

Rob

G'day folks

I have an old book called 'In Wildest Africa', Volume I, by C. G. Schillings (1907) and inside the front cover there is a signature, which I am guessing was the owner of the book, but it could have been given as a gift, as there is a nickname noted below the signature (which could have been an affectionate thing).

My question is, did the book belong to Denis D. Lyell, who was the author of many hunting books at the time ?

Or is it just a coincidence, as there may be others of the same name.

My father collected a few hunting books when he lived in Africa, this was one of them, so it's not like it was purchased outside of the 'Dark Continent'.

Regards

Rob

View attachment 353379 View attachment 353380 View attachment 353381 View attachment 353382

Neat...great to have that book with his signature....from the info put on here I would say its correct.....as don't think people are yet into forging old african hunters signatures just yet...:D....

And have just seen prices of his original print books....have a couple including one that could have just come out of the original shop when sold...mint....better get put on insurance

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross