Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Hunted
United States, South Africa
Hello, everybody.

I will be going on my first African hunt in South Africa in July of '21, should this pandemic ever level out. Hunt will be in the Mpumalanga Provence. In speaking almost daily with the PH, he has stated that the vast majority of the shots will be within 200 yards. For this hunt, I have acquired a left handed Mauser in the venerable .375 H&H, both for nostalgic and practical reasons. I plan on scoping this rifle up in QD rings, as I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. All of my rifles, save for my dedicated long range rig, wear scopes in QD rings and irons "just in case".

My question is two fold-

I need advice for a scope for the aforementioned ranges. I have read many threads on this subject here, and appreciate everybody's input and advice. I have several options in mind, but would like some more insight. I am a huge fan of Burris Optics, but they currently do not offer what it is I am looking for-a variable with a lower end magnification of say, anywhere from 1-2 X, give or take, and a relatively small objective lens (either a 24mm or 30mm, depending, of course, on tube size). I have a light rifle (CZ 527 in 7.62x39) that wears a Nikon 1-4 X 24, with a German #4 reticle. This glass is perfect for this rifle and the conditions I use it under, and I have half a mind to swap it to the .375, However, I have read that the Nikons will not hold up to the stout recoil of the .375. Any thoughts?

My second question is in regards to the irons. I love the Mauser, but I must say that the factory irons...leave a lot to be desired. The flip down rear sight is functional, but it is poor fitting. I can see daylight in the leaf as well as where it is fitted to the base. I can deal with this, but would like a replacement, preferably something along the lines of the Remington rear sights, or perhaps a standing leaf. I would also like to replace the front sight. It is simply a black bead on a ramp. The dark color is easily lost in the shadows. Fiber optics are an option, as are silver, gold, or white colored beads. Anybody out there have any first hand experience with any of the above?

Thank you all in advance, and I hope that you all stay safe. We will get through this Covid-19 mess together.

Regards,

Tyler E. Barnby

I expect you will be getting a lot of options to your questions, so I'll share personal opions:

I have a Nikon, PR711, Black X1000, 4-16 x 50SF, 30mm tube, Matte IL, variable brightness lighted crosshairs, with Warne, high QD rings and bases, mounted on my Remington Model 798, .375 H&H.

After 1000+ rounds of factory and handloads, I have yet to have any problems with the scope or mounts, rings.
IMO Nikon does make reliable scopes for .375 calibers.

I had a 1-6 x 24 scope on my .458WM, changed it to a 2-12 x 30mm tube for better field of view and magnification for my old eyes.

Although I don't intend to shoot further than 250 yards with the .375 H&H, it's nice to know I can make up to a 400 yard shot if the situation requires.

For iron sights I like the 3 flip up rear leave (100, 200, 300) on my Remington 799, .458WM. However, for other calibers I much prefer an adjustable rear ramp sight, and a thin blade or fiber optic front.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck on finding what fits for your shooting.

I recently purchased a Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby, which uses the Mauser M98 Magnum action. I put a Leupold VX-6HD 1-6X24 scope on it. Have only used it on the range, but so far I really like the scope. I'm a fan of Trijicon RMR red dot sights and this Leupold is basically the same as the RMR red dot when turned down to 1 power.

Typilotguy, I'm positive that the Nikon Monarch 1-4x 24 isn't the optimal scope for your 7.62 x 39. I'd be happy to purchase it thereby allowing you to get something more suitable. If interested please send me a PM.

I have the Nikon Monarch 1x4 on my 375. It’s been great so far.

FWIW, I think all scopes can fail. Case in point, I had a MK4 Leupold on 10+ lb .308 break on me after several thousand rounds.

If you like your Nikon, keep your Nikon. A friend of mine used to shoot a lot of big bore rounds (thousands) each year as he was doing extensive testing of terminal ballistics of bullets. Leopolds would not hold up, they kept having to replace them. Nikon Monarchs held up and he shot dozens of DG in addition to testing from .416 through .500 caliber rifles.

I had a Nikon like you mentioned on a 45-70 I absolutely loved and plan to put another on a lh .375 zastava as soon as it shows up.
Mine was a 1x4x24 monarch African.

My setup on my 375 is Warne QR rings, Leupold VX6 1-6x and Leupold VX6 2-12x. Both illuminated dot. I really like this set up. The 1-6x has been used out to about 350 yards and worked fine. I got the 2-12x specifically for a croc hunt, but I use it for PG hunts and as backup for the 1-6x.
Just an FYI, the same model scopes are here in the classifiedS section for a whole lot less than I paid and I got mine on sale.
Best of luck finding the right setup for your needs!

I have a Leupold VXR 3-9x40 on a .375H&H Winchester M70, a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 on a .375H&H Blaser R8 and a Leupold VX-3 1-5x20 on a .416 Rigby CZ 550. All work great, the Swarovski is the best of them though you pay a premium for them but you get what you pay for. Another candidate, that I like, that I have on another rifle would be the Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42. It is a great all around scope IMHO and has become my favorite general purpose type scope.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I may try the Nikon for now; if it breaks...I don’t need it anyhow. As far as magnification goes...I’m from Ohio, originally. Shotgun slugs for deer. As such, a far shot was 80 yards, and I always used irons. Even though I hunt with scoped center fires here, I don’t have much experience beyond that same distance on big game. I shoot quite often out to 200 and 300 yards on paper; I just don’t have a lot of experience on game past about 100 yards. Would 4x be suitable for this plains game hunt? Zebra, impala, blesbok, wildebeest, and gemsbok are on the menu. I have my theories, and I don’t have any burning desire to pursue any steenbok or any of the tiny ten, but who knows.

I had a Nikon like you mentioned on a 45-70 I absolutely loved and plan to put another on a lh .375 zastava as soon as it shows up.
Mine was a 1x4x24 monarch African.

That is the exact rifle I am scoping up. It’s funny how fate put her in my hands; I’ve had many Mausers over the years, but never a Zastava, let alone a 98 in LH. Long story short, they came into my radar. I was looking on an auction site, and there was an importer 15 miles from the job site I was on. We made a verbal agreement over the phone, and when I got there, he had already gone through his inventory of the fifteen or so (yes, 15) that he had in .375...all left handed guns, to find the one with the best wood.

You bought a left handed rifle, wont t that be difficult to use?

Attachments

• 4MVk2lv.jpg
    4MVk2lv.jpg
    666.8 KB · Views: 136
  • NeGBylh.jpg
    NeGBylh.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • Z4IJRph.jpg
    Z4IJRph.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.53 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.55 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.57 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.52.58 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.53.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.53.16 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.53.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.53.18 AM.png
    927.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.53.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.53.20 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
My 0.02$ worth, 375 is a versatile calibre that can benefit from more than 4x magnification. I reckon 8-10x max would be perfect . I use 1-6x Leica scope which I bought second hand in as new condition for decent money so I stuck to it for now but there were times around dusk when bigger scope would have been handy. In bright day light on open ground you can make distant shots with open sights or small magnification scopes with large dots quite easily. But in poor light, with thicker vegetation especially on darker animals the picture starts to blend in and becomes hard to distinguish. That’s when bright scope with lit up aiming point really shines (pun intended).

Would 4x be suitable for this plains game hunt? Zebra, impala, blesbok, wildebeest, and gemsbok are on the menu.
I’ve shot lots of game out to 400 yards or so with a 4x. But remember, in Africa if you draw blood, you bought that animal retrieved or not.
You will most likely be shooting off of sticks or out the window of a blind at a water hole. Practice, practice, practice off of sticks to as far as you can accurately hit an 8” target consistently. JMO&E

Hello, everybody.

I will be going on my first African hunt in South Africa in July of '21, should this pandemic ever level out. Hunt will be in the Mpumalanga Provence. In speaking almost daily with the PH, he has stated that the vast majority of the shots will be within 200 yards. For this hunt, I have acquired a left handed Mauser in the venerable .375 H&H, both for nostalgic and practical reasons. I plan on scoping this rifle up in QD rings, as I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. All of my rifles, save for my dedicated long range rig, wear scopes in QD rings and irons "just in case".

My question is two fold-

I need advice for a scope for the aforementioned ranges. I have read many threads on this subject here, and appreciate everybody's input and advice. I have several options in mind, but would like some more insight. I am a huge fan of Burris Optics, but they currently do not offer what it is I am looking for-a variable with a lower end magnification of say, anywhere from 1-2 X, give or take, and a relatively small objective lens (either a 24mm or 30mm, depending, of course, on tube size). I have a light rifle (CZ 527 in 7.62x39) that wears a Nikon 1-4 X 24, with a German #4 reticle. This glass is perfect for this rifle and the conditions I use it under, and I have half a mind to swap it to the .375, However, I have read that the Nikons will not hold up to the stout recoil of the .375. Any thoughts?

My second question is in regards to the irons. I love the Mauser, but I must say that the factory irons...leave a lot to be desired. The flip down rear sight is functional, but it is poor fitting. I can see daylight in the leaf as well as where it is fitted to the base. I can deal with this, but would like a replacement, preferably something along the lines of the Remington rear sights, or perhaps a standing leaf. I would also like to replace the front sight. It is simply a black bead on a ramp. The dark color is easily lost in the shadows. Fiber optics are an option, as are silver, gold, or white colored beads. Anybody out there have any first hand experience with any of the above?

Thank you all in advance, and I hope that you all stay safe. We will get through this Covid-19 mess together.

Regards,

Tyler E. Barnby

First off if DG is not on the list I would not be too bothered about iron sights although they are nice to have.

I would suggest something like this, much better and easier and faster than normal express sights.

p_006103098_1.jpg

As for fibre optic front sights, well they are not very sturdy and get easily damaged when hunting in the African bush. Rather get a fixed steel front sight with a white dot/sight.

1-6x is just about perfect for the 375 H&H, more problems arise with high magnification scopes. With 6x you will be more than good to go out to at least 250 m and even 300 m. Where exactly in Mpumalanga you will be hunting will also determine this.

Be sure to sight the rifle properly with the iron sights and make sure you also practice with the iron sights before mounting the scope, many people cannot or do not know or are not familiar with open sights.

When stalking always, always have the scope on minimum magnification, nothing worse than bumping into something at close range while stalking something and the scope is cranked up to max.....

Attachments

• p_006103098_1.jpg
    p_006103098_1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 200
Typilotguy, these guys have let the cat out of the bag. I was hoping you would sell yours to me. IMHO they are one of the better DG scopes available for anywhere reasonable cost. I have one mounted on a 404 Jeffery and a second one on a 375 H&H. Use it on yours with absolute confidence. I'll have to look elsewhere.:E Crying::E Crying:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg