Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Gentleman, I’m going to have to resight my 270 WSM soon. My question is using a bipod at the range off a wooden bench any down side to that? Or am I better off just using bags? I’ve always wondered about that.

I've used a bench rest height bipod and a rear bag to sight in bolt action rifles for many years and never had any issues. This combo has been great for sighting in and working through various loads to see what a particular gun likes best.

I’ve found lightweight bbls that are not free floated may have a different POI off a bipod than prone with a sling or off sandbags. I assume that this is because the bipod is carrying the rifle weight out near the tip of the forend. I have never seen this with a free floated bbl.

Johnnyblues.

I get really psycho about making sure that the rifle shoots better than I can, so I use a machine rest that I built a long time ago.

It's a god awful heavy mess that takes about an hour to put together. And once the rifle is locked and the machine rest is adjusted a mechanical trip knocks the trigger off.

The rifle is proofed and then it's up to the shooter.

Unfortunately, these days the rest beats me all the time.

I always use my bipod for sighting in my rifles. I won't have sandbags in the field, so I better learn how to shoot the rifle properly with the tool I'm using, without the advantage of other aids. MHO. :D

Last edited:
I’ve found lightweight bbls that are not free floated may have a different POI off a bipod than prone with a sling or off sandbags. I assume that this is because the bipod is carrying the rifle weight out near the tip of the forend. I have never seen this with a free floated bbl.

This.

And I find that prone with a bipod is for me steadier than a bench rest. It's just hard to beat if you're really trying to get exact .

I have always done the first sighting in off of bags.

Then I'll switch to the bipod or sitting for the final touches. You will very seldom ever have bags out in the field when you need to take that shot.

In addition to the advice already shared, it is always a good idea to compare point of impact and group size between bag and bipod. Also, as a general rule when shooting from a bipod, the surface which the bipod feet are on can affect point of impact. For example, if shooting prone at the range, shoot a 3 shot group with the feet of the bipod on the concrete and then shoot another group with the feet on the dirt. It is very common for the group shot from the concrete to be a little higher than the group shot from the dirt. Same as shooting from a “barricade”. If you rest the fore end directly on a hard surface, as opposed to placing you hand in between the fore end and the hard surface, groups usually open up and point of impact shifts. This is due to the harmonics transferred through to the supporting surface and the “bounce” created.
Always a good idea to know your gun and confirm how it behaves under various conditions.
Happy shooting!

I go prone with a bipod for my first few shots to sight in. It's the steadiest way for me. When I get a good group I go to sticks to shoot the way I would in the field.

I have experienced a noticeable difference in POI when using a bipod off a bench vs. dirt. I understand that a bipod should be preloaded (gentle pressure forward). Preloading on concrete or wood allows the legs to skip/bounce at the shot and your group size will be much larger.
I would suggest shooting off the bags first, then off a bipod on the ground. And bring multiple guns and do the same.
And now we need to see photos of the @Von S. Proofing contraption. I am already jealous and want to use it.
I am also very curious to hear how others sight in a rifle.
Finally: @johnnyblues what game will that rifle put on the brai?

I have experienced a noticeable difference in POI when using a bipod off a bench vs. dirt. I understand that a bipod should be preloaded (gentle pressure forward). Preloading on concrete or wood allows the legs to skip/bounce at the shot and your group size will be much larger.
I would suggest shooting off the bags first, then off a bipod on the ground. And bring multiple guns and do the same.
And now we need to see photos of the @Von S. Proofing contraption. I am already jealous and want to use it.

+1

Thanks for all the advise, I plan to use either the 270 wsm or my 300wsm for my up coming leopard hunt along with some tiny guys and possibly mtn zebra. I lean towards my 300 as it has a trijicon scope on it for low light conditions but the 270 has a battery powered illuminated reticle on it which would probably be ok too.

Also worth mentioning is I wont be shooting in the field in all likelihood with a bi pod, my main concern was sighting in off a wooden bench while sitting down not a prone position.

Also worth mentioning is I wont be shooting in the field in all likelihood with a bi pod, my main concern was sighting in off a wooden bench while sitting down not a prone position.

I like to sight in how I plan to hunt. If you're not planning on the bipod in the hunt, then don't use it to sight the rifle in. It's challenging for sure to have the exact same situation sighting in as what you may encounter hunting. But don't add in variables to the equation that you don't need to.

Watch out for a different POI by simply fitting the bipod, John. Some brands of bipods will do that. Set your rifle in, in the condition that you will be hunting with it, especially going after Leopard...and for the love, don't clean your barrel with copper solvent before starting your hunt. Simple bore snake before packing it away for departure will do the trick.

For purposes of zeroing a rifle I'd think that sand bags would be more appropriate than a rifle mounted bipod. Once the rifle is zeroed and bipods from a prone position are to be used for hunting then practice that way.

Watch out for a different POI by simply fitting the bipod, John. Some brands of bipods will do that. Set your rifle in, in the condition that you will be hunting with it, especially going after Leopard...and for the love, don't clean your barrel with copper solvent before starting your hunt. Simple bore snake before packing it away for departure will do the trick.
Thanks my friend good advise . Thanks all!

For purposes of zeroing a rifle I'd think that sand bags would be more appropriate than a rifle mounted bipod. Once the rifle is zeroed and bipods from a prone position are to be used for hunting then practice that way.

I would have to disagree with you there and again stress to sight in how you plan to hunt. When sighting in off sandbags, you're providing some "soft" support for the front of the rifle. On firing of the rifle, any downward movement due to recoil that occurs will be cushioned somewhat by this support.

If using a bipod, things change. Presuming the bipod feet will be on solid ground, the rifle front is now being supported by a much more firm surface. Any downward movement of the rifle now will not be cushioned. From my experience it seems to throw the rifle high which in turn causes the shots to be higher versus no bipod.

There's nothing wrong with sighting in either way, but I'd stress again picking which one most is like your hunting scenario.

My 2¢, if you want to see what your rifle will do accuracy wise, shoot from a rest and rear bag. For hunting shoot as you would in the field, sticks, bipod, against a tree, offhand, on your buddy's shoulder, or on a bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross