Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, NWTF
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Colorado, New Mexico, NC, SC
soooo, I have shot my 7mm rem mag for the past 24 years, including two safaris and close to 200 white tail deer in SC and a couple of trips to Canada for bear and a moose (with a friend shooting the rifle).

It has really liked two ammo choices--154 grain SST Hornady and 175 grain Swift A frame hand loads.

I shot for years with a Leuopold and switched 8 years ago to a Zeiss--no issues ever with finding and holding zero. This past spring, I purchased a Leica ER5--fantastic glass and a huge jump from the Conquest. So here is the problem--the rifle is shooting 3 shot groups that are cutting the hole of the other at 100 yards, but no adjustments seem to change point of aim very well. Removed the scope, removed the rings, removed the bases(Talleys), remounted and re sighted--still shoots three shot groups but it will not adjust point of aim accurately (in other words--it's three inches low and two inches right--1/4 inch clicks suggest 12 clicks would move to even up and 8 move it left to zero, but that doesn't work). There are no predictable corrections. what am I missing!!!!!????

It sounds like you have a defective scope. I’d swap scopes and see if it corrects the problem.

Yep send it back to them

On some of the scopes I have seen: the turrets should be pulled up before dialing.
I am not sure of this particular one in question, but there could be some locking / unlocking option on the turrets.
Check that first.

In case there is no such feature, call in for warranty.

And, also....
What they say: When everything else fails, try reading the instructions! (y)

Thanks guys. Those were my thoughts as well!

A while back, someone told me to give a gentle tap on the turrets. Use an empty case, and lightly tap them, and see what happens.

Reactions: ack
On some of the scopes I have seen: the turrets should be pulled up before dialing.
I am not sure of this particular one in question, but there could be some locking / unlocking option on the turrets.
Check that first.

In case there is no such feature, call in for warranty.

And, also....
What they say: When everything else fails, try reading the instructions! (y)

Good point, I’m not into these new scopes, never thought of that possibility.

Oh, and what are instructions???

If the scope isn't tracking accordingly to a known and proven rifle/load combo, there is a scope issue. New optics and especially quality optics don't require the old turret tap. Every once in a while a dud can come out of the factory or something happens in transit from factory to final destination.

I'd return it to whom you purchased it from as a defective scope. Too much money to mess around with. No manufacturer wants that product out in the market.

I agree with you guys--I will play with it one more time and then its going back.

Let us know the outcome please..very interesting problem this. It can only be the scope...NEVER the operator!!:A Banana:

yeah--not going to say that's not the problem yet...

Being in concurrence with those above in that it is the scope that is the problem......I can add nothing.

Do you were glasses? Have/has your prescription or type of glasses changed?

I found out the hard way, 2 months before this years safari, my glasses prevented me from getting tight shot groups.

My solution: removed my glasses and adjusedt my scope so I could see my target clearly without my glasses. My groups tightened up and consistent at 100, and 225 yds.

No bullet impact movement after changing scope adjustments???... seems kind of easy to check if scope is OK. Put rifle in cleaning vise or even a cardboard box with U notches to hold rifle fairly securely. Put a small bull target (or even a 1" grid pattern sheet drawn on a piece of paper) at 100 yards (or 100 meters if across-the-pond regulated or to sound cooler). Look though bore (bore sight). Carefully adjust scope windage both directions while looking through bore to keep the bore on center spot- easy to see cross hair move on target as adjustment changes. Do same for elevation. If careful and if using the grid, this method will even check the correctness of the scope's adjustment regulation. It won't however check for change of impact issues due to recoil induced variables like loose mounts or scope internals.

The other thing that comes to mind is the rifle itself. If shot quite a bit over 24 years the throat may be shot out. 7 mags can do that- or any high powered rifle if shot enough. A friend had 7 mag he kept fighting with one year after years of good service... of course the last thing he checked was the throat.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. We have checked most of those things. The scope doesn’t seem to track with the clicks. Email to Leica on Wednesday evening late. Thursday morning 8am a response. Spoke with rep at 930am. They are working on a replacement and upgrade option and I should know by Tuesday ! So far excellent customer service.

I don’t wear glasses and my gunsmith has the same issues with the scope. The rifle who great groups with the zeiss thstveas on it at end of deer season so don’t think it is the throat yet...

The rifle was shooting great groups with the Zeiss at the end of ...poor typist in the deer stand...

Leica customer service sent a message Tuesday morning bright and early to return the scope and my local region representative gave me the option of an upgrade to a Magnus scope at a great discount. Vacope is off the rifle and packed for s return trip.
So far great customer service!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg