AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
What does everyone use for sight tapes if shooting a heavier arrow. The sight tapes that came with my sight do not match up since I am shooting a 582 gr arrow. Custom sight tape generator via internet? If so which one?

I'm dialed dead on at 30 yards yet the farther out I shoot(while dialed to proper distance) I hit high.

Thanks all

Custom sight tapes is one of the great features of OnTarget2.
http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/

They have a Mac version and a PC version. Their arrow speed estimators are very, very accurate.

What kind of sight tape are you using?

if all else fails just get yourself a blank tape and mark your 10,20,30,40,50 on it, thats what we did before calculated sight tapes.....:P Robin Hood:

They have a Mac version and a PC version. Their arrow speed estimators are very, very accurate.

It's a sight tape that was recommended by Lancaster Archery. I think they said it's for a traditional bow. Same deal for setting it up. Sight it in at 20 and 40 yards then select the proper sight tape that matches up.

Thanks again man. I'll check out the pinwheel

if all else fails just get yourself a blank tape and mark your 10,20,30,40,50 on it, thats what we did before calculated sight tapes.....:P Robin Hood:

I am considering doing this yet I will be hunting hogs in just a few days therefore I don't exactly have the time. But when I return I just may use your method

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated

Mr Poindexter,

I have to say that since you introduced me to the "pinwheel" sight tape system I have been extremely grateful for the fact that I just have to put in arrow/bow info and then click print and bam! I've got the right sight tape.

I just wanted to say thanks since you've saved me from many headaches of sighting in for a heavy arrow.

I owe you at least two beers!

DL

IMG_2055.JPG

Well, always double check their tapes, either by throwing some arrows out at 20 yards and then 50 or 60 (best option) or shooting some over a chronograph (second best option).

Glad you have some reliable sight tapes now. I am not a beer drinker, but you can get me a kamikaze at the next AH event if I don't run into you in Africa some time.

Well, always double check their tapes, either by throwing some arrows out at 20 yards and then 50 or 60 (best option) or shooting some over a chronograph (second best option).

Glad you have some reliable sight tapes now. I am not a beer drinker, but you can get me a kamikaze at the next AH event if I don't run into you in Africa some time.

Kamikazes are on me. Btw what are these numbers for at the bottom of the sight tape?

IMG_2056.JPG

Those are for ultra close shots. They use them in a lot of 3D shoots where you are just 5 feet away from your target. It sounds easy until you realize that you don't have a pin for that and it won't hit anywhere near the sight position for 20 yards because the arrow and the sight are traveling different trajectories.

At 5 feet, use the setting for 69 yards. At 10 feet, use the setting for 40 yards, and so on. I have absolutely no idea why your 30' setting is 9.7 yards and not 10 yards. Did you set the tape to meters? That's what it looks like to me. (There is a tab on the corner of the screen that says METRIC or SAE and you can change back and forth between the two.)

Those are for ultra close shots. They use them in a lot of 3D shoots where you are just 5 feet away from your target. It sounds easy until you realize that you don't have a pin for that and it won't hit anywhere near the sight position for 20 yards because the arrow and the sight are traveling different trajectories.

At 5 feet, use the setting for 69 yards. At 10 feet, use the setting for 40 yards, and so on. I have absolutely no idea why your 30' setting is 9.7 yards and not 10 yards. Did you set the tape to meters? That's what it looks like to me. (There is a tab on the corner of the screen that says METRIC or SAE and you can change back and forth between the two.)

I believe it was set to yards but I will double check. I sighted in and checked the tape at 30 and 40 yards

They will have a min/max for your sight tape distance. By default, the minimum distance is 20 yards. For people who shoot light arrows from speedy bows, there is very little difference between 10 yards and 20, but for heavier arrows, it is noticeable. You can adjust the minimum distance to 10 yards and it will print whatever yardage is the highest on the tape. For me, that is usually 11 yards and any closer actually moves back down the tape. As some of yours say to use the 10 yard setting, for example, you don't have one and are still having to guess for that close shot.

upload_2017-5-2_16-44-20.png

I believe that is correct. Arrows will pass a certain height from your bow twice - once as they are going up and once going down. These two points have the exact same pin. This is why for me to shoot at 10 feet, I use the pin setting for 44 yards. At a certain place on that curve, they get close and eventually only have one setting, which is where the arrow path and sight path meet only once. I am guessing 10 yards and 9.7 yards are the same pin and so probably that point for you is about 9.85 yards or so. For me, it is about 11 or so yards on my bow with the arrows I have and the weight I am currently drawing. It is marked as "high pin" in the Mark Reference Chart on the Make Marks tab. Any distances closer than that and you shoot them at the further sight tape distance.

Very complex. I'm sure I can figure it out once I play with it a bit. In the past I've always just aimed lower if less than 20 yards

My Matthews sports a three pin sight 20, 30, & 40 yds. and a Whisker Biscuit. That combination dropped every white tail I shot at. A little bit of "Kentucky Windage" is going to be required regardless of what sight you use. That is unless you have enough time to adjust your sight while the animal remains motionless.

My Matthews sports a three pin sight 20, 30, & 40 yds. and a Whisker Biscuit. That combination dropped every white tail I shot at. A little bit of "Kentucky Windage" is going to be required regardless of what sight you use. That is unless you have enough time to adjust your sight while the animal remains motionless.

Great setup for hunting whitetail. Have you hunted with the same setup in Africa?

Last edited:
No, just Whitetails in Michigan. I'm sorry to say that at 73 I no longer have the strength to draw my Matthews I've gone to an Excalibur crossbow. Hopefully that switch will keep me on a ladder stand till I'm in my 80 (s)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross