Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
Have a Cz in 404. Had a leupold 1x4 on it. But the crosshairs were so thin I could not see well. What do you all think? I see more and more people putting RMR type sights in double guns. Anyone using them on bolt guns?

I have a Aimpoint and a Docter as a backup for a couple of barrels on my Blaser. They work fine so far but I haven't used them a lot nor have I taken any game with them yet. Another thought is looking for a low powered scope with an illuminated dot in it. Leupold has it in a few of their scopes, the VX-R 1.25-4x24 comes to mind. Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 with 4A-IF reticle is a wonderful scope but somewhat pricey.

What distances are you planning to shoot? What size animals are you planning to shoot? Do you really need a scope? I just bought a 404 that has NECG front and rear Iron sights. Well the front sight is actually a relatively large diameter red fiber optic. I've only been to the range once and have been shooting at 50 yards but so far I'm strongly considering keeping the Iron Sights on the gun for my next safari.

Leupold makes(or at least they did) a1 1/2 or1 3/4 x 6 variable with heavy crosshair.... Not real good for shooting 1/4 in groups, but heavy enough to see after dark. I've got one on a Ruger #1 in 375 Ruger

Hi, My wife and I have been experimenting with red dot sights on three different .375 rifles one a M-70 & 2 550CZs. I have been using the Trijicon Micro RMR, her the Aimpoint Micro. My eyes are old hers are young. She prefers the Aimpoint she says she gets to much glare on the Trijicon. I prefer the Trijicon since it is smaller and sits lower. I agree with her on the screen dust on the trijicon they appear to be tiny red dots.

At this time her Aimpoint is mounted with EAW mounts, mine on American Hunting Rifles Quick release base, I have a AHR quick release base for her Aimpoint I just have not had time to change it. I cannot say enough good things about the AHR mounts, simple, low and quick to remove. At the moment we are dealing with two problem Lions who are killing livestock, since we have no clients with us and will be firing the first and last shots we are using the .375s and are confident with the rifles and the sights that we are using.

To sum this up your .404J CZ is a wonderful rifle (many need a bit of massaging on the trigger and action) couple with African Hunting Rifles Mounts and either the Aimpoint Micro with 2MOA red dot or the Trijicon RMR with battery in either 2 or 3 MOA should give you a 2" group at 100 meters. I have not had a lot of night experience with these sights, but so far so good! About what you could expect from iron sights, but for us they are much faster than iron sights and we never use scopes on dangerous game.

I really do not like posting on this forum due to some of the "rabid" rebuttals, but I hope you find my reply useful.

I use an Aimpoint Micro 2MOA on my 404 Jeffery.

Downed a nice Bushpig Boar over the hounds with it again this weekend. That small red dot takes out all the thinking you need to do with irons and you can just shoot!

The Leupold 1.5 x 5 with a German #4 reticle is a good option.

upload_2017-11-6_5-32-21.png

Thanks Lon, at 74 my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. It is the quick acquisition of the target that concerns me. I have a Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby that sports a 1 x 4 Nikon with a German #4 reticle that I like a lot. I have also thought of the Aimpoint Micro and the Trijicon RMR. As I see it, I have 4 very viable options.

Re. the possibility of needing trigger and or action work on the CZ, so far neither has been an issue. I talked to CZ specifically about this rifle. Supposedly there was an action and trigger job performed at the Custom Shop when the rifle was assembled. Their records also showed that fancy wood was used. Like I said previously, I'm very happy with this rifle.

Sorry I didn't pay any attention to who was posting.

When you purchased the rifle I thought I had told you that I had czs custom shop build a .404J to my specs. Someone else found out what I was ordering and had the otder duplicated. I had asked that they pay particular attention to the trigger and the action. I do not believe that they are still paying the same attention, personal observation.

I am pretty sold on the compact reflexs, but only if it is equiped with a quality quick detachable mt.

I am also not a big fan of fiber optic beads for Africa. They are great when they are in place, but! AFWA!

take a look at the swaro 1-6 or 1-8 with the lighted circle dot reticles. they are not cheap but the lighted circle dot is very nice for running targets, just like using a aimpoit with the added bonus that you can turn the power up if you need a longer precision shot. it is the 4aif reticle.

Youmifht investigate the Trijicon Accupoint scopes in 1x4. I have one in 3x9 with the triangle over post that's fiber optic and tritium on an m700 30-06. I have shot the same set up in 1x4 on an AR15. Dialed down to one power it's pretty fast to acquire targets.
Having said that I have no idea how it would do on a DRG. But Trijicon does make some rugged optics.

Nikon also makes a very good low power DG scope with the German #4 reticle.

Leupold German #4 is actually their heavy duplex without the twist on the top vertical wire. I have one in my Leupold Euro 2-7 which is currently mounted on my Brno Model 4 (barrel shortened by a previous owner) which is used for trap line through to 75m target shooting, although beyond 60 metres or so the magnification is a bit light for a .22 rimfire.
You should be able to get the subtension values off the Leupold website for the 1-4 and 1.5-5 models OR just send me a PM as I have a hard copy catalogue plus one or two PDF versions on my computer.

Welcome to the club for .404 J's. I also have a CZ 550 in .404 J, fitted with a removable mount Zeiss fixed 4x scope. Have been using it in various conditions, distances and from small to dangerous game. Also have a Trijicon 2mm dot which I use when light fades, or for DG follow up. Extremely happy with both.
One word though, on the CZ 550 please have your ramp trimmed and polished, action polished, and check to see if the magazine is narrow enough to have the rounds riding on top of each other. Refer to the Field Hunting Guides of SA's website (www.fgasa.co.za/ ) where more info is placed for tuning your CZ. They recommend the CZ action to all their Filed Guides.

I'd just have a German #1 reticle put in your current Leupold or use a Trijicon Accupoint with the post reticle. Mine is a green on a 1-4x24

Have a Cz in 404. Had a leupold 1x4 on it. But the crosshairs were so thin I could not see well. What do you all think? I see more and more people putting RMR type sights in double guns. Anyone using them on bolt guns?
I have the same difficulty..will replace the Leopold 1.5-5x20 with a Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6x42 with an A2 recital..got this scope at a very good price from a friend..(y)

The 1.5 -4x scope I'm putting on my Jeffery 404 has a Number 4 German Reticle the cross-hairs of which are very easy to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber