Sidearm when rifle hunting?

A question for rifle hunters worldwide. How common is it to carry a sidearm (pistol or revolver) as well as a rifle when you are hunting? I have recently seen a few hunting videos where the PH had a handgun of some sort on their belt as well as a rifle in their hands and it has raised the question how common a practice this may be.
In many places the PH will have a pistol. Many PG PH’s just carry a pistol depending on the area. DG hunts they carry a rifle and some also have a pistol. To answer your question yes it is common.
Philip

Where I live, northern lower Michigan, I hike some of the older seldom used trails. We have and I've seen, black bear, bobcat, scads of coyotes, deer, wolves, coywolf, cougar, rattlesnake and the occasional elk. I always carry a 1950's featherweight S&W 22lr. The only time I had to use it was a distracted coyote got a bit too close and a middling size bear did the same.
I shot one shot into the ground and they weren't distracted any longer. They left and I continued onward.

I was not actually hunting yesterday, but did carry a revolver. A 3.5" 45 Colt Ruger Bisley with a companion 45 Colt 1894 Marlin.

I was wading through 1.5-2' of wet / rotten snow for a few hours. That was with a day pack and binoculars. The little revolver was never an issue. Trudging through the rotten wet snow was a different issue.

I used to change out magazines when going into the bush and carry mostly solids for dealing with anything animal related, as opposed to that more frangible bullets in my magazine for urban use. Does anyone have any experience or preference for town vs bush ammo? I have only used my 9mm once in the field and that was on a wounded blesbuck which I shot in the head.

Nkawu, I carry Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in 8 mags for the G19, some in the car, some it the bedroom, on me etc.

I have 20x Remington Golden Sabres that I load in a ninth magazine. Old carry ammo, that I now use whilst hunting.

As our riots in June/July last year proofed, jou can never be safe enough. I dont want to bump into 3 armed clowns stealing the hunting rig on an open cocession and be stuck with FMJs, or even worse CMJ clad casts.

I was not actually hunting yesterday, but did carry a revolver. A 3.5" 45 Colt Ruger Bisley with a companion 45 Colt 1894 Marlin.

I was wading through 1.5-2' of wet / rotten snow for a few hours. That was with a day pack and binoculars. The little revolver was never an issue. Trudging through the rotten wet snow was a different issue.
WHY would you WANT to trudge through any snow if your not hunting or shoveling your driveway? LOL

I see no point in carying two firearms. I carry a rifle or shotgun when hunting. I do live close to the Mexican border and always have at least a sidearm with me when out running the dogs or just hiking.

I carry a S&W 629 Mountain Gun when fishing in Grizz country.

Just remember RSA is a different ballgame. Often a five or six shot revolver, even how accurate is not enough to finish a gunfight when there are four armed assailants, some carrying AK47’s or R4/5’s (read galil clones). It has been proven countless times here that firepower matter, and having 30 or 45 shots on yourself can be a lifesaver.

I’m an ideal word i would carry a titanium S&W bodyguard in .38 spec to deliver a coupe de grace. I had one and regret parting from it during an outnumbered robery

I never carry a sidearm here when hunting with a rifle in the mountains for deer and elk. With a backpack AND a rifle that is enough weight for me. But, I ALWAYS carry my 10mm Glock in the woods/forests when I'm not carrying a rifle. That is more for a two legged predator(s) who might want to get stupid and try to "be somebody" for a day, rather than the four legged kind.
The be somebody's always worried me whenever I was near enough the road for someone to drive up and walk in while hiking. Trust nothing on two legs that you meet along the way.

I carry a pistol when I hunt. It's mostly for the walk back to the truck in the dark. I use the rifle to finish off downed animals, if needed.
I like the flexibility of the handgun. Especially in the dark when something is likely to happen as close contact.
Nkawu, I carry Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in 8 mags for the G19, some in the car, some it the bedroom, on me etc.

I have 20x Remington Golden Sabres that I load in a ninth magazine. Old carry ammo, that I now use whilst hunting.
How do you like the 127+P+? The golden sabers got a bad rap initially for expansion, but out of a Glock at 80 yards mine killed a whitetail stone dead.
Just remember RSA is a different ballgame. Often a five or six shot revolver, even how accurate is not enough to finish a gunfight when there are four armed assailants, some carrying AK47’s or R4/5’s (read galil clones). It has been proven countless times here that firepower matter, and having 30 or 45 shots on yourself can be a lifesaver.

I’m an ideal word i would carry a titanium S&W bodyguard in .38 spec to deliver a coupe de grace. I had one and regret parting from it during an outnumbered robery
This. All day long. Why I no longer carry just a j frame for anything. The ammunition required to keep up with the Joneses is burdensome in a speed loader.
Just yesterday I got another reminder to carry enough gun. Ran into one of the problem children of the world with my toddler in tow.

I hunt a lot in an area of Limpopo where rhino poaching has been an issue so I always carry at least 20 rifle bullets (ten on my belt and 10 on an elasticated stock holder) + a few in the magazine in case of a worst case scenario. Being able to pin some thugs down in a thicket while anti poaching guys are radioed in might make the difference in catching them. I carried the same during the riots here in Durban last July. Practicing some scout/practical rifle drills with a trusty hunting rifle makes for some fun range sessions and helps iron out issues in the instance a mid-calibre hunting rifle might be called upon to save my life.

How do you like the 127+P+? The golden sabers got a bad rap initially for expansion, but out of a Glock at 80 yards mine killed a whitetail stone dead.

I haven’t been in a situation where I had to shoot a person with them, but they are accurate out of my Glock 19 and feed reliably. I’ve shot a few baboons in the chest over the years to test expansion ( they were first shot with a rifle, then used as test media)

Both the Golden Sabres, Hydra Shocks and Rangers create a very large wound channel.

I used to change out magazines when going into the bush and carry mostly solids for dealing with anything animal related, as opposed to that more frangible bullets in my magazine for urban use. Does anyone have any experience or preference for town vs bush ammo? I have only used my 9mm once in the field and that was on a wounded blesbuck which I shot in the head.
My 2¢ is:

Hunting ammo is meant to quickly and humanely kill animals allowing to bullet to pass through that will leave a good blood trail, just in case.

Urban ammo is meant to hit, stick, cause as much internal damage as possible without a pass through. Not so much on the quick and humanely kill, rather an agonizing, painful death. In a crowded area a pass through may cause unwanted legal ramifications.

Depends on where and what I'm hunting depends on what I choose to carry.

Generally if I'm in (black) bear areas I'll carry my 45 ACP or most likely and preferably my 44 mag with 260 grain or 240 grain soft points. Since bear country is also rattle snake and copperhead snake country I may opt for the first round to be bird/snake shot during the warmer months in colder months all soft points.

If I'm not hunting or camping in bear country, I either carry the 357 or 44 with an alternate shot shell / bullet for snake and coyote in the cylinder, the 2 extra speed loaders I carry have jacketed hollow points.

Carry concealed around town the 44 is loaded with reduced loads 240 grain JHP. Rarely but when I do carry my 357 concealed it will be loaded with 158 grain JHP in 357 or very rarely 38 special.

Should I choose the 45 auto it is loaded with 230 grain jacketed hollow points whether in the woods or carrying concealed.

I haven’t been in a situation where I had to shoot a person with them, but they are accurate out of my Glock 19 and feed reliably. I’ve shot a few baboons in the chest over the years to test expansion ( they were first shot with a rifle, then used as test media)

Both the Golden Sabres, Hydra Shocks and Rangers create a very large wound channel.
I have not been impressed with Hydra Shok. I found that that post allows material to plug the cavity and prevent expansion. At least in the .45 ACP. They are not welcome in my carry setup.

Do you find they are hard on the gun being +P+ or not enough volume fired to tell?

I have not been impressed with Hydra Shok. I found that that post allows material to plug the cavity and prevent expansion. At least in the .45 ACP. They are not welcome in my carry setup.

Do you find they are hard on the gun being +P+ or not enough volume fired to tell?
I like and have used the Golden Sabre, Speer Gold Dots, Sig V-Crown (Sierra) and Winchester Ranger (Black Talon) bullets. I currently carry 230gr. Golden Sabres in my Glock 21, 165gr. Rangers in my Glock 22, 165gr. Gold Dots in my Glock 27 and 180gr. V Crowns in my Glocks 29 and 40.

I like and have used the Golden Sabre, Speer Gold Dots, Sig V-Crown (Sierra) and Winchester Ranger (Black Talon) bullets. I currently carry 230gr. Golden Sabres in my Glock 21, 165gr. Rangers in my Glock 22, 165gr. Gold Dots in my Glock 27 and 180gr. V Crowns in my Glocks 29 and 40.
Why do you have so many different bullets? Are you trying to optimize everything for each specific platform? The .40 being different bullets, but the same weight? I'm running the Ranger 230+P in my .45's. The 9mms are running 124 HST, but I would switch to the 127 +P+ when I can find it. We can talk about the 10mm someday when I chronograph it again. It's "rude".

Why do you have so many different bullets? Are you trying to optimize everything for each specific platform? The .40 being different bullets, but the same weight? I'm running the Ranger 230+P in my .45's. The 9mms are running 124 HST, but I would switch to the 127 +P+ when I can find it. We can talk about the 10mm someday when I chronograph it again. It's "rude".
Well, with the exception of the V-Crowns, they were all of the cartridges I was issued for my duty Glock 21 and then Glock 22 over the years. Every year or two they were changed out for new rounds, so I kept the old ones. I have Gold Dot "short barrel" designed cartridges in my 27, but the hollow point "hole" is too big for reliable penetration through heavy clothing in my opinion, so I may go with the V Crowns or Golden Sabre? The 27 is really nice for CCW under a T shirt, but I prefer now to carry my 29 when I can. Believe it or not, I CAN conceal my 6" barreled Glock 40 10mm under a long polo/t shirt. Nothing like having 16 10mm rounds in a long barreled handgun to change the dynamics in a "game of stupid" if someone wants to partake? LOL

Well, with the exception of the V-Crowns, they were all of the cartridges I was issued for my duty Glock 21 and then Glock 22 over the years. Every year or two they were changed out for new rounds, so I kept the old ones. I have Gold Dot "short barrel" designed cartridges in my 27, but the hollow point "hole" is too big for reliable penetration through heavy clothing in my opinion, so I may go with the V Crowns or Golden Sabre? The 27 is really nice for CCW under a T shirt, but I prefer now to carry my 29 when I can. Believe it or not, I CAN conceal my 6" barreled Glock 40 10mm under a long polo/t shirt. Nothing like having 16 10mm rounds in a long barreled handgun to change the dynamics in a "game of stupid" if someone wants to partake? LOL
I appreciate your assessment. If you can carry the 27, you can carry the 29. I have one. It's a great gun. I can conceal an 8⅜" .460 revolver. I'm not sure I like long barrels for winning stupid games against stupid people. My zen centers around 2-4" revolvers and ≈4" semiautos although there is something golden about the 5" 1911.

I usually carry 180gr Golden Saber in either a Glock 27 or 23.
When I am hunting I have a few mags filled with 180gr XTP that will penetrate a bit deeper.
To be honest I would be happy with the XTP all the time, it’s where it’s placed over everything else when it comes to handguns.

When hunting, I carry a 4" .22 revolver for coup de gras and mostly signaling lost hunters.
I keep a 5" .44 magnum under my head at night in case a grizzly is feeling puckish.
I do not carry the large pistol all day, as I am a wimp. But I like having it there at night.
As Ralph Wing used to say,"all day my .375 feels too big and heavy. When the sun goes down it feels too small!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you