Side trip in Frankfurt traveling with firearms?

broncolcj

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Does anybody have experience with taking a side trip in Frankfurt while traveling with firearms? I am curious if it is possible and if anyone has tried it coming or going from the USA en route to a safari.

I am currently planning my next hunt in Namibia with my girlfriend. When she found out we can go through Germany she immediately asked if we could spend a day in Frankfurt. I know they recently changed the rules for transit with guns through Frankfurt and that you have month to leave without getting a permit. Is there a way to lock up your weapon at the airport for a day or two? Possibly at a hotel?

I am just wondering if this is even a feasible option for the casual traveler

Frankfurt airport has a luggage service for passengers in transit or just wanting to lighten up the load for some time. Contact them to make sure that they will take your weapons:

Terminal 1
B Concourse, Level 1 (Arrivals)
Open daily 24 hours
Phone: +49 (0) 69 - 690 70786

Between the B and C Concourses on Level 2 (Departures)
Open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Phone: +49 (0) 69 - 690 73277

Terminal 2
D Concourse, Level 2 (Arrivals)
Open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Phone: +49 (0) 69 - 690 72860

For more information go to: https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/e...article/flights-and-more/luggage/storage.html

It should run smoothly, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. We were assured by our travel agent that there would be no issues, but to be sure, I contacted the Ordnungsamt and got written assurances from a woman called Sabrina Stock. When we arrived in Frankfurt, we went to customs and declared our rifles. All went as we had been told. We were issued a receipt for our rifles and ammunition by a very pleasant young customs agent, and merrily went on our way. When we returned to collect the things to check them in to our flight to South Africa, everything went sour. We encountered a proper ******who was not interested in our receipt, or the email from Frau Stock, and who informed us that unless we possessed a European weapons license, there was no way in the world we would get the things back. Fortunately, my German is much better than his English, so after more than two hours of 'negotiation', he 'graciously' consented to deliver them to check-in. So, we were paraded through the airport by 6 customs officers who would not even allow us to carry the cases ourselves. It was so unpleasant that my hunting partner, who had never been in Europe before, was permanently cured from ever going to Germany again. Sad that one (select your own term) can ruin things.

Does anybody have experience with taking a side trip in Frankfurt while traveling with firearms? I am curious if it is possible and if anyone has tried it coming or going from the USA en route to a safari.

I am currently planning my next hunt in Namibia with my girlfriend. When she found out we can go through Germany she immediately asked if we could spend a day in Frankfurt. I know they recently changed the rules for transit with guns through Frankfurt and that you have month to leave without getting a permit. Is there a way to lock up your weapon at the airport for a day or two? Possibly at a hotel?

I am just wondering if this is even a feasible option for the casual traveler

Are you planning a trip where you'd arrive in Frankfurt in the morning, spend the day about town and then leave that evening for Namibia? In other words you're not overnighting in Frankfurt?

My son and I flew thru Frankfurt in 2013. We took Lufthansa from the U.S. and from Frankfurt to Jo'brug on SAA. We arrived fairly early in the morning in Frankfurt with a late evening departure. Our rifles were transferred from Lufthansa directly to SAA. We never took possession of the firearms while in Germany or it's airports.

We cleared customs and immigration and attempted to spend the day in Frankfurt. Alas it was a Sunday, cold and raining and wasn't worth it to us desert dwellers. So we went back to the airport in short order. But regardless of how long we spent on the Germany side of the airport, it was easy.

Now if you're overnighting, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I've done just like Phil, spend the day and wear yourself out, get on the plane to joburg that evening and sleep all the way. I like going through Frankfurt, but I also have guns checked through.
Cheers,
Cody

It should run smoothly, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. We were assured by our travel agent that there would be no issues, but to be sure, I contacted the Ordnungsamt and got written assurances from a woman called Sabrina Stock. When we airrived in Frankfurt, we went to customs and declared our rifles. All went as we had been told. We were issued a receipt for our rifles and ammunition by a very pleasant young customs agent, and merrily went on our way. When we returned to collect the things to check them in to our flight to South Africa, everything went sour. We encountered a proper ******who was not interested in our receipt, or the email from Frau Stock, and who informed us that unless we possessed a European weapons license, there was no way in the world we would get the things back. Fortunately, my German is much better than his English, so after more than two hours of 'negotiation', he 'graciously' consented to deliver them to check-in. So, we were paraded through the airport by 6 customs officers who would not even allow us to carry the cases ourselves. It was so unpleasant that my hunting partner, who had never been in Europe before, was permanently cured from ever going to Germany again. Sad that one (select your own term) can ruin things.
Were you on the same airlines? Why did you have to recheck bags??

Are you planning a trip where you'd arrive in Frankfurt in the morning, spend the day about town and then leave that evening for Namibia? In other words you're not overnighting in Frankfurt?

My son and I flew thru Frankfurt in 2013. We took Lufthansa from the U.S. and from Frankfurt to Jo'brug on SAA. We arrived fairly early in the morning in Frankfurt with a late evening departure. Our rifles were transferred from Lufthansa directly to SAA. We never took possession of the firearms while in Germany or it's airports.

We cleared customs and immigration and attempted to spend the day in Frankfurt. Alas it was a Sunday, cold and raining and wasn't worth it to us desert dwellers. So we went back to the airport in short order. But regardless of how long we spent on the Germany side of the airport, it was easy.

Now if you're overnighting, I'm not sure what to tell you.[/QUOTE

How was it clearing customs and returning for the day? I'm looking at this for next May 18'

How was it clearing customs and returning for the day? I'm looking at this for next May 18'
Quite painless as long as your bags are checked through. Jump on the train or a cab and enjoy a great city.

It was quite easy. Went thru customs and immigration quite easily. We did the same on the return leg through Munich. In Munich the immigration officer did ask us why my son and I entered and now were leaving on the same day. Told him we had a long layover and wanted to spend the day touring Munich versus spending the day in the airport. He was quite friendly and asked us how we enjoyed the city. And off we went.

What airlines did you fly ??? Our only choice from Chicago is Lufthansa and we would have a 9 hour layover
I have flown Lufthansa also, 9 hours is plenty of time to get downtown and have a nice meal and see some sights.
I find the airline quite good

What airlines did you fly ??? Our only choice from Chicago is Lufthansa and we would have a 9 hour layover

Lufthansa from LAX to Frankfurt, SAA from there to Jo'burg. Same on the way back except to Munich. If you can go through Munich instead, it's a short train ride to the cathedral district. And the train is right outside of the airport doors. I truly enjoyed the day we spent there.

Were you on the same airlines? Why did you have to recheck bags??
We stayed a few days in Frankfurt, so we could not check them straight through. The other posters are correct that is is easy to spend a day in Frankfurt: the S-Bahn runs directly into the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross