Show us your movies about Africa

There is a reason you forgot about it. Same reason most forgot about it.:D

Here are some, all watchable on Netflix:

Beasts of No Nation: About Child Soldiers, reminded me of the book "A Long Way Gone." Outstanding acting by Idris Elba
timthumb.php

The Siege of Jadotville: About an Irish UN Company pinned down by thousands of rebels, Belgian settlers, mercenaries, and others in the Congo
The%2BSiege%2Bof%2BJadotville%2B2016%2BEnglish%2BMovie%2BDownload.jpg

Virunga: About the battle to save gorillas in the Congo as civil war, oil interests, poachers, etc etc contribute to the destruction of their habitat.
virunga.jpg
I watched the Siege at Jadotville just now on Flix. Excellent movie, filmed in RSA and Ireland.

I totally forgot about this oneView attachment 161044

From Wikipedia:

Sheena bombed in theaters and was nominated for five Golden Raspberry Awards including Worst Picture, Worst Actress (Tanya Roberts), Worst Director, Worst Screenplay and Worst Musical Score, but it reportedly did find some cult success on home video and DVD.

Ouch!

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the Siege at Jadotville just now on Flix. Excellent movie, filmed in RSA and Ireland.

Recently watched the movie on Netflix as well, due to the earlier post about the movie. Enjoyed the movie and felt for the Irish soldiers.

It is unfortunate however that Katanga didn't become a sovereign country instead of being drug into the cesspool known as the DRC.

Recently watched the movie on Netflix as well, due to the earlier post about the movie. Enjoyed the movie and felt for the Irish soldiers.

It is unfortunate however that Katanga didn't become a sovereign country instead of being drug into the cesspool known as the DRC.
I agree. It was a great movie the gun fighting scenes were awesome. If I'm catching your drift I didn't much enjoy the political vibe eather. It cast Moise Tshombe in kinda a negative light while portraying Patrice Lumumba in a positive one. Also Dag Hammarskjöld was murdered, but if you uncover certain aspects of history the Katanga crisis was the distraction needed and provided the perfect cover for Allen Dulles to take out Mr Hammarskjold for his plans to interfere with our efforts on Vietnam.

. It cast Moise Tshombe in kinda a negative light while portraying Patrice Lumumba in a positive one..

Tshombe was a capitalist, Lumumba was a Marxist. Typical portrayal by the film industry.

Tshombe was a capitalist, Lumumba was a Marxist. Typical portrayal by the film industry.
True. I was watching a episode of that Anthony Bourdain TV show where he fly's around the world and eats and drinks and comments on the culture. He was in Congo and he kept running into locals who were telling him they missed the Belgians, they wish the Belgians were still in control. And he was totally perplexed and couldn't understand why and was just at a moral loss as to this attitude. Hilarious. Foody liberal stooge.

True. I was watching a episode of that Anthony Bourdain TV show where he fly's around the world and eats and drinks and comments on the culture. He was in Congo and he kept running into locals who were telling him they missed the Belgians, they wish the Belgians were still in control. And he was totally perplexed and couldn't understand why and was just at a moral loss as to this attitude. Hilarious. Foody liberal stooge.

Funny!

An acquaintance of my father had hundreds of employees during harvest. Maybe 200-300 year round. His farms were nationalized in the 1960's. In less than five years the fields were fallow and overgrown. New $10,000 (1960's price) tractors rusted in the fields because a $5 bearing had seized up. The bearing had seized up due to the fact that no one put $.10 of grease in it.

I am in no way condoning colonialism. I am saying that in many ways government, infrastructure and industry ran much better then, than it does now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you