Shoulder Mounts ...

Scholar

AH senior member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know when (where & how) shoulder mounts started to replace those old head mounts ... probably someone at RW would know ...

1598624807130.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to know when (where & how) shoulder mounts started to replace those old head mounts ... probably someone at RW would know ...

It will depend on each international hunting organisation.

Shoulder mounts are not, and never have been recognized in CIC scoring system.

main reason is, you cannot measure the weight of scull in shoulder mounts, if it is under CIC scoring.

So, CIC trophy hunter will see shoulder mount as a souvenir, or at the best as museum or hunting room exhibit, but not as official trophy. Simply, in shoulder mount, the scull cannot be measured.

Personally, I do not care for any trophy points. For me a trophy is a memory of my hunt, can be scull mount, shoulder mount, tusks, whatever. Neither am I interested in record book entry.

Not positive when and why the trend started but I'm glad it did. For some animals a skull doesn't do it justice. Looking at a hippo skull or a wild boar skull really doesn't give a good idea of what the animal looked like. Sorry if it's a bit off topic lol

Not positive when and why the trend started but I'm glad it did. For some animals a skull doesn't do it justice. Looking at a hippo skull or a wild boar skull really doesn't give a good idea of what the animal looked like. Sorry if it's a bit off topic lol

It's right on topic ... :) ...

@mark-hunter
Personally, I do not care for any trophy points. For me a trophy is a memory of my hunt, can be scull mount, shoulder mount, tusks, whatever. Neither am I interested in record book entry.

Couldn't agree more!! I also only call it hunting, not trophy hunting.

cpr0312 wrote: @mark-hunter "Couldn't agree more!! I also only call it hunting, not trophy hunting."

Yup ... I have long argued that the word "trophy" is the N-Word of conservation ... and self-described "trophy-hunters" present the greatest threat to the future of Africa's wildlife ... (even despite the funds generated and its other benefits) ...

I have always perfected a full shoulder mount to just a head/neck mount. It gives depth to the head as far as the actual size of the animal. Euro mounts also have their place, as for scoring it can and usually is done before the final mount has the antlers/horns mounted to it.

As for a trophy hunters, I consider myself a trophy hunter. But the word trophy means different things to different people. To the non hunters/animal rights people it means that the only thing that is kept is the head, or hide wasting the rest of the animal. I have a friend that thought that way until I told them just what is done with the meat on a African hunt and our hunts here in the US. At first they didn't believe that all the meat wasn't wasted until they looked in my freezer to see the nicely wrapped packages of meat from elk, mule deer, ducks, and geese.

Also as far as a trophy, I call all my animals that I shoot trophies. They don't have to be scored to be considered a trophy in my mind.

It's the N word for sure!!!! I'm from America and it always surprised me how much the words " trophy hunting " were used in Africa. And whenever it's used its certainty looked on poorly by many. It's all about perspective I guess. I've always considered myself to be more of a meat hunter but I don't shoot a whole lot of young animals so maybe I am a "trophy hunter" too lol

I agree the word trophy to the outside is not good.It probably should go away.Answer me one question meat hunters,there is two bucks standing side by side one a tender spike the other a big bruiser which one do you shoot?

Well since I do a lot of culling for a couple of ranches the tender spike is probably on the shoot list where the big bruiser is not so in this scenario I am probably shooting the spike more often than not.

Now if it’s on one of my properties then the big guy gets it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeauC1305

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross