Shoulder Injury and Hunting in Africa, can anyone offer advice?

If I wanted a 404 or 416 I would get it

If I had to put mercury in the stock, a removable/replaceable muzzle brake on it, a better recoil pad, and a padded shooting shirt then that is what I would do!

Life is short. As a preacher most regrets that dying people have shared with me were about the things they did not do rather than the things they did.

I live my life and pay the doctors to keep patching me back up. Worked so far.

You make a valid point preacher. I had work in a nursing home one day and walking through seen a gentleman with a small 8 point buck on his wall, he was just sitting and staring. I complimented the buck and as many hunters would do he proceeded to tell me the whole hunting story. I never spoke of deer I've killed, rather just listened about his biggest buck. He thanked me for listening and offered advice. He told me "don't be like me" and of course I asked why. While I don't remember word for word his reply was along the lines of this. "becasuse I'm an old man in a nursing with a bunch of I wish I would haves instead of a bunch of I dids" He told me to spend time with your kids, take that hunt, take that chance and don't be me.. I"ll never forget that.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Again, thanks for all the replies. I'll start small and work up to a good comfort level. Will email PH about the MB. While I hate to hear some of you have had injuries as well your success gives me some renewed confidence.

You might like a rifle/system like the new Ruger where you can practice with the muzzlebreak and hunt without it.

I have the same injury as you. You might benefit from plasma injections. They cost $400-800 a shot and you would need one or two. They really helped me with my torn glute.

I am a former competitive powerlifter and bodybuilder. Esophageal cancer hit me approximately three (3) months ago. I am 56 years old. I've been through chemotherapy and radiation, currently waiting for a major surgery that might extend my life 2, 5, or perhaps 10 years. I have less than a 50% chance of survival. I have a feeding tube in place and have lost more than 30 pounds of my precious muscle mass that took me 43 years to build.

Previously, I had a 40% rotator cuff injury (from heavy bench pressing) but I had taught myself over a period of six (6) years how to master big bore handguns and rifles. Before the cancer diagnosis I was shooting my Nosler M48 outfitter chambered in 458 win mag without any problems. The rifle only weighs 7 pounds. I'm sure I will never shoot my big bores again.

I don't think that any hard recoiling rifle is going to further damage your shoulder. Go on your trip and build some precious memories to call upon when you are not physically able to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg