Should or have a PH to bring a rifle in a plains game hunt

nsok

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
That is my doubt, Should or have a PH to bring a rifle in a Plains Game hunt?

I am not quite sure what you are asking here. Do you mean should your PH also carry a gun if you are on a plains game hunt? Is there any dangerous game on the property?

That is what I mean, if when I am hunting plains game, my PH should or have to carry a rifle as well as obviously mine. Lets say there is not dangerous game (or it seems that not)

I think they may be required, but I am sure one of them will chime in. Just also remember, leopards criminals and poachers are not kept out by fences. But just shoot straight and he will never have to use it.

Hi Guys
i always carry my trusted 375 even if it is just to kill a Cape spitting cobra. I have never and will never shoot a clients animal unless he ask for it, but i have heard lots of stories about a ph's shooting the clients animals.

Nsok,
I always ask my clients if they would like me to carry my rifle when going on a stalk. If they decline, then its as easy as leaving my rifle in the truck. But any PH should always give the client the best oppurtunity of shooting his own animal. Once the PH feels that there is a very good chance that the wounded animal will get away, he should take charge and initiative to finish the animal of as quickly and humanely as possible. Hope that clears it up for you.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

...but i have heard lots of stories about a ph's shooting the clients animals.

Johan , So have I. Its actually very sad that some PH's let their ego get the better them.

Regards
Marius

Thank you Marius, my question was more about a possible dangerous situation than a non wanted shot from the PH, and if it is obligatory for a PH carrying it. I am talking about carrying it, not using it

No Bushbuck, it is not. I just want my PH to carry a rifle and just use it if necessary, if in a dangerous situation. Could be with a Bushbuck

No Bushbuck, it is not. I just want my PH to carry a rifle and just use it if necessary, if in a dangerous situation. Could be with a Bushbuck

I admit, we are pretty badazz lol. From the sounds of it above they can leave there gun behind. I have hunted many times with a PH and never minded when they carried a gun, especially the fact that I had a bow. I agree that having a gun is a good thing when following up the likes of a bushbuck. I don't know if it is warranted, but most of the trackers that I have met in Africa were the most concerned about a wounded gemsbuck.

I am also pretty sure a PH would carry his gun at all times if that is what you requested him to do. If it is something that you would like to see done, please make sure you discuss that with your PH ahead of time.

I think it's a good idea to have the PH carry a gun. My gun got some grass stuffed in the bolt and I had to use the PH's gun to kill a beautiful zebra. The PH didn't get mad...accepted as part of the trip.

I carry a gun most of the time in the field here in the U.S., I always hate to miss out on a opportunity that arises at a moments notice.

lol you are good guys. One of my favorites. Thank you for your answers Bushbuck. I hope to meet my gemsbuck this August.

Well between Bushbuck and Marius I think the whole thing is summed up pretty well, there would be no need for a PH to carry a gun with him at all times if you are doing a PG hunt but in saying that you can never be too careful.

It is always wise to have a gun in the truck for when you are following up a animal that has been taken with bow.

When you are entering a potential dangerous situation like staking plains game and there are some DG on that same property then I would defiantly carry a gun but this would be only for protection and will be used as a last resort.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Bushbuck
I was almost killed by a wounded Gemsbuck it all happened so quickly the client could not get a second round into the chamber he was very nervous and the next moment the Gemsbuck was on top of us, if it was not for the 375 i don't know.

Johan, that was what I meant. That was not a potencial dangerous situation, that was a real one.
Were you just hunting plains game? A nervous client is quite normal and in some situations more.

Yes we were just hunting plains game, and then it went wrong, it is normal for any client to get nervous and he was so focused on the Gemsbuck that he could not get a second round loaded the Gemsbuck went down in front of my feet i could touched his horns with my hands in the spot i was standing.
I carry my rifle to protect my hunter and myself.
Johan

As a Namibian PH, from experience, YES. It does not mean that I(Personel feeling) want to shoot the client's wounded animal, but up to today, 99% of my clients, where we had to shoot the animal, just to get it, etc. Nobody likes to loose a animal/trophy, and then even have to pay for it!? What do you choose; Help getting your trophy, or loose the Trophy?animal and pay full price?????. In Namibia, by law, a wounded animal and lost, to be paid in full.
You l\know, in the end, all PH's are not killers, for me, I still feel for that animal, sleeples night/s for loosing an animal, in pain for a day, weeks, months, a year, because the hunter said, you do not shoot my animal! the hell with this, the animal comes first! Yes, don't get me wrong, any PH should give his client as manny chanches as possible to bag his trophy, but, I feel, to some extend, the hunter must except the HELP!

I know some PH'S that are trigger happy, luckely there are only a few I know! Your real PH will discuss this with you on the shooting range, even before any hunting starts.

Yes, I will have my BACKUP rifle with me at all times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg