Should I rebarrel my .338 WMag to the `64?

sambarhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Australia,Ireland,New Zealand,Sweden
I have been hunting with my 9.3 x 64 Brenneke for a few years (comm `98) and it is a calibre that is a real hammer,so much so that I got hold of a Pac-Nor 9.3x64 mm barrel recently that is threaded for a Winchester.
Now I have an XTR Mod 70 in .338 Win Mag and I love the `64 AND Winchesters so much that i am thinking hard of a swap over. There is no harm in having two `64`s is there!
Any one care to add their take on this either approve or disapprove?
I know BM would have approved.

Approved. For me the overall better designed cartridge and as you say, a hammer. Also legal in most African countries on DG while the .338 WM isn't.

Sounds like a fair idea

Bolt face is not the same size

There is nothing wrong with Two 64’s, I have a Dakota and a Pre-64. But I would keep the 338 because It is not Godly to have your battery lacking a 338 WM or three! Find a 30-06 donor action and put the Pac-Nor on it.

Well John, what did you decide ?

I'd be interested in knowing because when you posed the question, i had no answer either way.

I have the x64mm myself but the specific rifle just hasn't found it's way to my heart and therefore does not get used and is for sale.

I also have a .338 and love it. Does everything i want it to and then some, but my prejudice is driven more by the rifles the cartridges are chambered in more than the capabilities of the cartridges.

Will you end up with 2 x64's or keep the .338 ???

I would rebarrel it to 375 H&H. A cartridge that was offered in the pre-64s and is legal on anything.

A .375 Holland will most likely not cycle through a .338 Win length action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross