AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Ok, so I already know that if I’m asking the question, the answer is more than likely no!

I inherited an Eaton SxS years ago from my great uncle. This weekend I have family coming over, and we are planning a little clay pigeon shooting, and I was wondering if I could try it out!
Let me know what you guys think, because I know nothing about doubles.

I’m looking at you guys @Tanks @Red Leg @rookhawk

BECF7320-112F-4D2A-A449-5A99B2123404.jpeg
9A398490-963B-4FD1-9516-3BDC17E058E6.jpeg
CD4902B7-FB4B-4BE3-B60F-98E7A59BA444.jpeg
A9F1C90D-03B0-414D-9C55-F6E96E1A5DCC.jpeg

Last edited:
Allow me to be frank. That is a Belgian made hardware store gun marketed up through the depression that wasn't particularly "safe" by any modern standard the day it was sold. They were the cheapest thing on the rack for those who couldn't afford a field grade Fox, LC, or Parker. Affordable repeaters like the Model 12 finally ran them off. You can pick up a similar gun at a gun show for around $125.

For instance, this one still has case coloring and yet the grip cracked.

The good news is that you have a tangible memory of your great uncle. I would put it on the wall and cherish it as just that.

Allow me to be frank. That is a Belgian made hardware store gun marketed up through the depression that wasn't particularly "safe" by any modern standard the day it was sold. They were the cheapest thing on the rack for those who couldn't afford a field grade Fox, LC, or Parker. Affordable repeaters like the Model 12 finally ran them off. You can pick up a similar gun at a gun show for around $125.

The good news is that you have a tangible memory of your great uncle. I would put it on the wall and cherish it as just that.
I guess I’ll use the semi-auto Baretta

It is actually a little better gun than I first typed. I just looked at the photos on my desk top. It has side clips and a cross bolt which is typical of the baseline between the war actions. That puts it in the "field grade" range for Belgian guns of the day. I don't see 70mm noted anywhere on the flats, so it is likely a 2.5" gun rather than 2.75". You also still have the cracked stock issue. I'd still hang it on the wall.

Looks like nice old Belgium SXS there, doesnt look to have had a lot of use, can't see any safety concerns other than a cracked stock, that can happen to any quality of gun if you fall in the field.

Looks to be marked 12-65 so it is 2.5in chambered, if the ribs are tight, barrels not pitted or dented & action tight, it should be fine to shoot, if the stock has not had a proper repair that could be a problem & made worse by repeated firing/recoil ?

It is actually a little better gun than I first typed. I just looked at the photos on my desk top. It has side clips and a cross bolt which is typical of the baseline between the war actions. That puts it in the "field grade" range for Belgian guns of the day. I don't see 70mm noted anywhere on the flats, so it is likely a 2.5" gun rather than 2.75". You also still have the cracked stock issue. I'd still hang it on the wall.
I laughed at your first reply. Apparently you don’t think much of old Timmothy Eaton!

The barrels also have a rattle in them, and it seems like the action does too. Also I was wondering if it would handle 2.75” shells or not, there are no markings I could see myself.

I’ve never shot a double barrel, so I was wondering if the old girl would be up to the task of making some noise, but I wasn’t holding my breath on it.

I appreciate your assessment!

Do you have any idea where your great uncle would have used it? Any old photos of those times? Cool link to the past.

I laughed at your first reply. Apparently you don’t think much of old Timmothy Eaton!

The barrels also have a rattle in them, and it seems like the action does too. Also I was wondering if it would handle 2.75” shells or not, there are no markings I could see myself.

I’ve never shot a double barrel, so I was wondering if the old girl would be up to the task of making some noise, but I wasn’t holding my breath on it.

I appreciate your assessment!
Feel free to laugh at anything I post.

I have no opinion of Timothy Eaton because he never built a gun. He was a succesful Canadian merchandiser who put his name on all sorts of things. I believe that these guns were bought from Belgium and marketed by Eaton to be sold in Canada under that name - rather like similar guns were sold by Sears in the US. I expect that makes it a $350 - $400 gun rather than $125.

I enlarged the photos and it is indeed a 2 1/2 inch chambered gun with stock damage. A “little rattle” means the solder has failed and it is likely off face. I would not dream of firing it.

Soldering the barrels, putting the gun back on the face, and restocking it will cost you $1200 - $2500+ depending on the quality of work you desire. When you are done it will be worth $650 - $750.

I would suggest putting on the wall.

It has fluid steel barrels and a crossbolt. If it was tight on the face, such a gun should be safe to fire. I say "should be" because with the cracked stock and the "rattle" and the "doesn't close right" qualifiers, I would not shoot it..........FWB

Unfortunately it is not only several thousand dollars it also involves a significant investment of time and research just to determine who best to send it to. And then another undetermined amount of time for whom ever you decide upon to actually get to your project. I’m assuming anyone qualified will have a wait list.

I will have to re-title this thread “If you have to ask, you already know the answer!”

In addition to the side clips and, Greener Cross bolt, it seems to have loaded chamber indicators, all of which were standard on most guns made at Suhl Germany. However, it lacks the smooth finished look of Suhl guns. It may serve and your uncle best as a wall hanger.

Do you have any idea where your great uncle would have used it? Any old photos of those times? Cool link to the past.
It would have been around the booming metropolis of Killam, Alberta. That’s where he and his brother farmed. I don’t think Bert was much of a hunter though.

Along with this shotgun I also came into possession of a Model 92 .32 win, which some are going to crucify me for sending to Oskar Kob to have colour case hardened, a cooey .22 and and Ithaca pump.

863E8213-4C2D-4674-96F7-BA2F298FB567.jpeg
B0299543-C584-4A4F-9BA6-68026958AE5F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the side clips and, Greener Cross bolt, it seems to have loaded chamber indicators, all of which were standard on most guns made at Suhl Germany. However, it lacks the smooth finished look of Suhl guns. It may serve and your uncle best as a wall hanger.
It does not have cocking indicators and was proofed in Belgium. The design is classic Belgian. A Suhl gun of this period would have been a trigger plate action. The pin locations indicate it is a A&D clone.

It would have been around the booming metropolis of Killam, Alberta. That’s where he and his brother farmed. I don’t think Bert was much of a hunter though.

Along with this shotgun I also came into possession of a Model 92 .32 win, which some are going to crucify me for sending to Oskar Kob to have colour case hardened, a cooey .22 and and Ithaca pump.
please tell me you didn’t do that to a pre 64 Winchester?

That is very nice case color work. If the rifle was not an original 85% plus gun, then dressing it up with case color is a neat idea. Doug Turnbull has created a cottage industry doing exactly the same thing to beater Winchesters of that period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois