Should I bring the new .375 H&H for elk?

Tra3

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I have a cow elk hunt (meat) hunt in Idaho next week. Then moose/mule deer in BC and finally elk/deer in MT. I hunt proficiently with my 7 mag. I want to train with my (new to me) .375 H&H. There is a likely chance I’ll be shooting prone 250+ yards. The .375 won’t have a bipod on the barrel band, so I would have to shoot over my pack. I like to bring 2 guns. (Scope will be a VX-5 3-15 firedot)
The hope is to get hunting experience with the .375 H&H before I return to Namibia next summer. Do I bring it or should I use the backup 6.5 CM or .270? (both of which I have experience with and are good for longer shots)
I’ve only had the .375 a month and 4 range trips. I like it and it is accurate, but not yet super familiar like my 7mm.
Whatever advice you all have for me will be welcome, as I am tired of trying to decide.

With those 3 hunts hunts, back to back to back, you need to take me as your gun bearer! Seriously, I'd take the 7MM as your primary and either the new 375 or the 270 as your backup.

I wish it was back to back! I’ll hunt, then return home and work a ton, then repeat for September through November. I’ll be able to leave the guns in Montana with my dad to simplify travel.

I took my .375 HH with me deer hunting twice before taking it to Africa. Use the smaller grain bullets with a 3x9 or 4x12 scope and it will work just fine. If you want to take 3 or 4 guns, take them.....but they are not necessary.

I’d go with the 375, excellent elk/moose gun, the 7 mag is cute and all but.... I’ve shot quite a few elk with a 7RM, it is a good cartridge but I haven’t picked one up in years since I bought my first 338WM. I prefer a heavier bullet than what is available in the .284. Where I hunt elk you can expect a shot anywhere from 25 yards to 300 yards and I wouldn’t feel slighted with a 375 at all. Get to the range a bit more and get that comfort level up out at 2 and 3 hundred, you will be surprised. Bring the 7 along for a backup and for squirrels and such.lol
92801EE2-7941-4EB6-B1C8-12539BF9AAC1.jpeg

My 375 and I looking over some good Montana Elk Country!

I had a 5x5 bull elk bedded down in my scope in Montana many years ago. Prone shot. Problem was it was a closed area for elk. I was mule deer hunting. Take the 375, it can do whatever you really need to get done.

I use 78.5 grains of IMR 4350 with a 300 grain Sierra bullet. My 375s love them. I would never consider them on dangerous game. Worked on deer.......

I have killed a lot of deer with a 375.

Next week? If you can get more practice in then yes. I'd bring the 7RM and the 375. Bring the 7RM out if you're gonna be in a canyon or something where a long shot might pop up. Bring the 375 if you go into the woods. You'll know what to do.

If you can handle packing the weight of the 375 all day, I'd take it.
However, you first should put in as much range time as you can out to normal hunting distances from normal hunting positions.
Good luck with the hunt.
Report back on what you decided and how it went.

Take the .375 and break it in before you take it Africa

This has been very helpful. The 7 RM and the .375 are going in my hard case tonight. I’ll get some opportunity for thicker woods hunting, so it will work well. If I see a grouse, I’ll follow @BRICKBURN and go for a head shot.
Since my hope is to become proficient with it before hunting african game, I suppose I better bring it along.

Maybe I’ll add some muscle carrying it uphill!

7 RM or the 375 will certainly get the job done on Elk. I'd take the 375 and practice for Africa. I'm using my 9.3x62 this fall on white tail and Axis deer for the same reason, just lightening up the load to 232 grain Norma instead of their 286 grain loads.

The problem with hunting thick woods is plans just don't go always go right sometime. I wouldn't want to jeopardise your current trip by having the wrong rifle in hand, though a meat hunt should hopefully give you multiple opportunities.

Excellent opportunity to try out a new rifle, and a 375 H&H at that!
Best of luck and please keep us informed how it goes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg