Shots Past 100 Yards

Because you can't stalk inside 100 meters of every opportunity? I assume you are not being deliberately argumentative, but to answer your question directly - of course I extend my shooting range "just because I switched to a scoped .300 or .338WM". That is why we have such rifles. The double rifle you propose is a very fine weapon - own and hunt with them - but not always. If I may make a suggestion, before you conclude what would constitute the perfect plains game experience and equipment, go do one and use a rifle capable of a wide range of opportunities. Your deer rifle with a quality scope is a good starting place. You will, on a typical PG hunt, be able to get quite close to many of the animals you hunt. Heck, your PH will want you to do so. But a Hartman zebra, oryx, or wise old kudu may demand more reach; not because one wants to shoot farther, but that is the only opportunity you will have. On my last true PG hunt, I shot a 30 inch waterbuck at nearly 250 yards - it was the only option, and I was absolutely confident with the shot. You will find the same challenges on any western hunt in this country for mule deer or elk. Practice, extend the practical range to 200/250 meters, and I think you will have a much better and far less frustrating African or western experience.

Great stuff Red Leg, I totally agree with you, the rifle I'm taking to RSA is my deer hunting rifle, it has a fine 3-9 scope on it and is capable of a 300-400 yard shot. The real question is am I able to make that shot under field conditions. If the only shot I have on my zebra is 200 yards will I take it, of course but I plan on putting the "LPC's" to good use before I make that shot. (for you non military types the LPC is the most reliable and most often use method of moving servicemen from one point to another. LPC - Leather Personnel Carrier, aka the boot)

I'd change this sentence to:
I think it is amazing when a hunter can get within 4 or 5 yards and shoot an animal that is just grazing or stood up out of his bed. :)

That's what I'm talking about. On my last hog hunt I did stalk to within 7 yards of a large sow before I sealed the deal.

Good hunting! Look forward to reading about it here.

In the end, only you can decide what is ethical for you. I get a bit upset when I see that "hunting" has now become "shooting", i.e. the dependence is now on equipment (range finders, high power scopes, binoculars, etc) instead of relying on field craft and outdoor skills and getting as close to your game as possible. I thought that was suppose to be part of the experience, but I guess over time it's just about getting the number of animals you've paid for.
Speaking in generalities, and just MHO, of course...........................

I don't discriminate on shots I try to get close as possible (however far that may be) and take a shot only if i think I can make it. My last trip i shot a bush buck at 9 yards a buffalo at 19 yards and a kudu at 392 yards. The rest of the shots were in the 80-150yard envelope .
Just shoot at what your comfortable doing. Also, a range finder and a ballistics card can help greatly. my favorite way to practice is with a bolt action 22lr i have that looks just like a model 70. I can shoot a lot of rounds through this and when everything is going right there I step in with the bigger guns and practice with those. this lets me work through fundamentals at a lower price. Practicing with the rifle you are going to hunt with is vital and cant be replaced, but for simple fundamentals a 22 is a hell of a lot cheaper.

A .22 is definitely the way to practice an Olympic grade pellet rifle also works if you happen to own one.

I am sorry but in my experience you must plan for longer shots. Whether it is open range with sparse populations or a game farm with less than ideal numbers there are so many situations where up to 300 yard shots are commonplace. Even on a well stocked game farm the shots can be long. Now you will have many on this forum tell you they shot everything at 75 yards or so and that is possible but it has never happened to me and I am taking my 7th trip to the Dark Continent.
My first animal was a warthog. We were way uphill from him and pushing 300 yards and the PH said shoot. I said can we get closer? Its just a pig and we are way uphill and wind in our favor. So we moved in on him to about 225 yards and I made the shot!
I must politely tell you to totally change your mindset and practice all kinds of shots at least to 200 yards. Get off the bench and on some sticks. Be as prepared as possible then when the moment arrives if you are truly uncomfortable with the shot don't take it.
Have a great Safari!
Philip

For me its the guns that I am used to shooting. For my 243 I have no problem out to 300 yards and will shoot father then that on paper, same with my 308. With my 270 will shoot out to 200 yards on game anything beyond that is on paper. On my 375 that I received for Christmas and have not shot yet, not sure yet about ranges, but I would not want to go much further then 100 yards just looking at the ballistics of the round.

Don't sell the .375 H&H short. It is superior with the right bullet. My 250gr TTSX load has the exact same trajectory to 600 yards as Federal gold medal match 175gr SMK .308 loads, but hits downrange with MUCH more energy. So, I know for a fact that the 375H&H can outperform 308 match ammo with hunting ammo. Commercially available 300gr .375 H&H ammo is loaded super slow. Drop way down in weight with the Barnes bullets and you will get a flat trajectory, lower recoil, and still hit harder than the 300 grainers.

Off the sticks, the 375 is very easy to shoot. Off the bench, not so much.

I am sorry but in my experience you must plan for longer shots. Whether it is open range with sparse populations or a game farm with less than ideal numbers there are so many situations where up to 300 yard shots are commonplace. Even on a well stocked game farm the shots can be long. Now you will have many on this forum tell you they shot everything at 75 yards or so and that is possible but it has never happened to me and I am taking my 7th trip to the Dark Continent.
My first animal was a warthog. We were way uphill from him and pushing 300 yards and the PH said shoot. I said can we get closer? Its just a pig and we are way uphill and wind in our favor. So we moved in on him to about 225 yards and I made the shot!
I must politely tell you to totally change your mindset and practice all kinds of shots at least to 200 yards. Get off the bench and on some sticks. Be as prepared as possible then when the moment arrives if you are truly uncomfortable with the shot don't take it.
Have a great Safari!
Philip

Great stuff Philip, I agree everyone should practice shooting at longer ranges, especially off of shooting sticks and your right sometimes a long range shot may be your only option. On the other hand just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. I've had a lot of "deer tag soup" in my time not because I'm a poor hunter but because I chose to pass on the shooting opportunity I was presented with, where these hunts unsuccessful just because I didn't put venison in the freezer, I don't think they where I had a great time on all of them. You made a great shot on that warthog, I shoot very well and a 225 yard shot is well with in my limits but I would have passed on that shot. Every hunter has their own style of hunting, some like to shoot longer distances, some like to get up close, personally on a hunt where "if you draw blood that's your animal" I don't want to leave things in the trackers hands, the longer the shot is the smaller your margin for error becomes. I'll always be prepared to shoot longer distances but I'll never stop trying to get within 100 yards.

I dont like long shots on animals.
There,in Namibia,I never get nearer than 200m :mad: Its not sooo far for big antelopes.
But it was like bewitched.
Here you can see a strong Kudu bull,which is searching protection for the sun at noon.
220 m distance.The nearest I've seen there.
8x68 or .300 Win Mag is a good choice.
But when you think his shoulder was free-you are wrong.
Foxi
Kudu.JPG

Ok once you get back from Africa and you have collected your field mouse do you write your report on a Mac or a PC?:sneaky:

You have a great thread which has brought out new things to ponder and old lessons to remember.(y)

Ok once you get back from Africa and you have collected your field mouse do you write your report on a Mac or a PC?:sneaky:

You have a great thread which has brought out new things to ponder and old lessons to remember.(y)

Thanks Jfet, I leave for RSA in 152 days, its sure to be a great hunt it starts on my 52nd birthday. I'll be sure to post a report once I get my field notes and pictures together,

Slightly off topic but I think there is another important factor for shooting off sticks at over 200 yards.

have the best quality scope you can afford that is of low power. Much easier to shoot 250 yards off sticks with a 5x scope than a 8x or 10x. The lower the power the less shake you'll have when lining up a shot at distance.

My favorite scope for Africa is the Swarovski 1-6x24 z6 with a German #4 reticle. I personally can't think of owning a scoped gun that doesn't have that optic.

Reactions: lcq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey75K951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross