SHOT OF THE WEEK ???

to shoot with such thick gloves is stupid.
go on a roebuck and you will miss him defenetly.
And here....

Thanks for finding the full episode.
Hunter is using a .375.
They got in closer than the 560 yards they started at when they spotted the Kudu.
I don't see an exit hole on the Kudu lying "dead"
Weird.
Sadly, still not definitive.

I think we can trust the Bushbuck shot.

I hunted with a PH recently who had been part of a hunt televised for later airing. One shot kills that weren't; animals found later and shown as having dropped to the shot, etc.

I like hunting shows, but I think we all need to approach them with a bit of a sceptical eye and a healthy dose of humour.

I know no more about this hunt than anyone else, but I am with Wayne and his (really interesting) analysis. On top of everything else, the kudu didn't seem to jump or rear up at all. Just turned and ran. Even a brisket shot (and I know) should result in a bit of rearing as the animal turns.

I figured it out. The camera man climbed a 30 foot tree to get a better angle. So it looks low from the downward camera angle but was good from the hunter angle.... :).

Looks like a clean miss to me and the kudu reaction seems to support this.

Did anyone notice the second kudu bull? Now that Wayne has got me to watch the video another 100 times, I am convinced the shot was true. I even think the camera man might have stayed back up the ridge to film. Often I have seen animals not even flinch when hit. I also looked for exit or any other holes, but they don't show enough of the body.

I figured with a .375 H&H at under 200 yards that there should have been an exit hole somewhere on the Kudus side that was shown in the full length video.
Who knows.

I think we need the Myth Busters on this one....:A Popcorn::P Disguise::P Detective:

+2 goood shot for a Kudu .
Low in the body , yep right in the vitals .
Shit pressed the send button to early .
Supposed to say , I think at the end .
Hasnt the guy doing the shooting posted on here before ??
We should ask him ?
That might work .

I think there was a shooter on the grassy knoll or maybe in the storm drain, definitely not from the book depository! Lol

I think that shot missed... And that said, In my opinionI don't think he should have taken the shot. The brush was covering the vitals. Too much can go wrong wrong shooting through brush at that distance. If he really did hit it, he was pretty lucky.
I agree with Cody, we just didn't hear the second shooter on the video.

Most videos are suspect, but it is entirely possible that a poorly placed shot in that thin brush could have deflected upwards and still make a clean kill. I once shot an elk through brush about that thick - the distance was a measured 46 feet from the muzzle. I was shooting off of sticks. I aimed for the chest just over the heart, hit the rump. The bullet deflected at about a 45° angle. Fortunately a very quick follow up shot to the neck ended the sorry episode.I'm not proud of that one, but did educate me about shooting through brush.

Most videos are suspect, but it is entirely possible that a poorly placed shot in that thin brush could have deflected upwards and still make a clean kill. I once shot an elk through brush about that thick - the distance was a measured 46 feet from the muzzle. I was shooting off of sticks. I aimed for the chest just over the heart, hit the rump. The bullet deflected at about a 45° angle. Fortunately a very quick follow up shot to the neck ended the sorry episode.I'm not proud of that one, but did educate me about shooting through brush.

I had just about exactly the same thing happen on my first Kudu. Deflection off an unseen branch. He was hit in the Kidney.
Totally confused me.
Second shot after moving to a better position. Deflected and hit low by 8 inches. The PH and I looked at each other with a "WTF???"
Want to see confidence in your shooting evaporate?
We found a small match sized twig taken off at the same height as the barrel three inches in front of where the barrel was.

Final shot did the trick a few moments later.
I checked from barrel to the beast and made sure there was nothing in the way.

I learned that bush can be close to the critter, not close to the barrel to make the shot. Proven later with a Bushbuck.

Hard lessons.

Looks can be deceiving on the video, I think the cameraman was setup to the left of the PH and client thus changing the angle for the viewer. BUT the shot does look low, and I would imagine there could have been one or two more shots in the follow up that wasn't included.(y)

Great thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg