Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NWTF, NRA
I met Jriely at his house and we went over to the gun range to do some shooting. I shot his ruger hawkeye african in .375 ruger. It wasnt as bad expected. I shot it standing up first. Not bad at all. I later shot it from the bench. Its a bit much for me to handle on the bench for sure.
I dont see it being a problem standing, on the sticks or shooting a nasty ole buff ;)

Welcome to the club..now be a good sport and post a photo of your bruise..:cool:

I did have tender spot on my shoulder after the rifle range and a couple rounds of skeet. No bruise though.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm seriously thinking about replacing that wimpy little red recoil pad with a decent one soon.

OK now your hooked:). I remember the first big bore I shot--the 375 H&H/ in a interarms withworth express. I got hooked too. Now I have a 375 Weatherby,450/400, 416 Rigby, 458 win mag, 505 Gibbs, 500 nitro. I have also owned a 577, and 500 Jeffery--I did find out that somethings are too much of a good thing!:rolleyes:

Ed

Welcome to the world of big bores, there's no turning back now !

You'll find that with more exposure to them the issue of recoil will abate.
We were all a bit tentative on our first exposure, this lessens with practice and familiarisation.

Also, do not ignore just how important, and contributing to felt recoil, that proper stock design/fit can be.
If there is ever a justifiable cause for custom fitted stock-work it is in the big bore class. If you can't have a custom stock made then at least ensure you purchase a rifle that fits you as well as possible to begin with, then for a nominal cost have a good recoil pad added and the length of pull cut for you whilst this is being done.
I've had this done to all my big bores and believe (maybe be a placibo ??) it has a dramatic effect.

The only down side to the big bore world, rapidly diminishing stocks of powder !

Good shooting and enjoy,

Paul.

The anticipation is sometimes worse than the fact. With time you will find the recoil to be less and less uncomfortable, especialy when you are shooting at Big Game. Maybe we have a new buffalo killer in our ranks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg