Short Barreled 9.3x62 rifle

If the 9.3x62 has one fault, its a lack of velocity as far as trajectory and killing effect..On Buffalo found the 320 gr. Woodleigh, a wonderful bullet, but needs 2350 to 2400 FPs and it pretty much takes a 26 inch barrel in most guns to do that..I like a 24 inch barrel for my hunting, if I want a carbine I use a 20 inch 375 H&H with 300 and 350 gr. bullets...

The 9.3x62 is a favorite caliber of mine, Ive used it for cape buffalo, Eland, most PG as well as deer and elk, it handles those animals as well as the 375 for the most part..I consider it a 300 yard hunting rifle...but its mainstay IMO is the 286 gr. bullet at 2650 plus a tad, For buffalo I like the 286 Barnes monolithic HP or the swift 300 gr. A Frame, or one of the 286 gr. Woodleighs PPs..

Barrel length of 20 inches IMO isn't the best choice of barrel in that caliber, but I doubt that many could actually tell any difference on game or range..

Lack of velocity??

Just use 286 gr at the normal velocity of about 2360 fps in 24 inches and you are good to go or find another caliber if that does not suite your needs....

Ive used the 9.x62 for years on both PG and DG, I like the 300 gr. Swift and the 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2400 give or take 50 fps...I found I needed a 26 inch barrel with these heavier bullets, but settled on a 24 inch barrel, otherwise its best to go with the 9.3x64 IMO..My all time favorite bullet in the 24" and 22" barrels is the 286 Nosler partition..but my 26" gun is the best of the littler, it has a Lyman peep sight and handles off hand and running shots great..I like that long tube for off hand shooting..and I have never found it to be a problem in the thickest of bush, that is an imagined scenario thought up by some gun scribe with a over active imagination or whatever..JUst my two bits.

Amazing two posts back to back 2009 to 2020!! nothings changed either, so must be spot one! :)

Reactions: OLB
I definitely prefer 20" barrel. I guess everybody is different and maybe so is the bush. I definitely notice a difference between a 20" and 24" barrels. The 20" is handier. 24" may hang better for off hand shots, as it should, but if I walk around a lot and if there is bush to be gone through, 20" is better. I also have a 25" 300 wm and even in open country that seems long and in the forest the muzzle always seems to be "in the way"...another reason why I'm going down in cartridge power...I want to shoot something that is not as loud and does not need 25+ " barrel to burn all the powder. I find 9.3x62 not having much blast or noise even out of the 20" barrel. 18.5" barrels are nice also. I used to have a Ruger Scout rifle in .308 and found it quite handy but seemed noisy. Also the loss of velocity on an already slow cartridge like 9.3x62 might be a bit much between 18.5" and 24" and the muzzle blast might be a bit more noticeable. I also used to have Sako Kodiak which had 21" or 21.5" barrel, I believe, and it too was nice to handle. Now I will be testing a 22" barrel and hope to find it OK. Either way for me the sweet spot seems to be around 20-21" hopefully maybe 22" is where it's at.

I definitely prefer 20" barrel. I guess everybody is different and maybe so is the bush. I definitely notice a difference between a 20" and 24" barrels. The 20" is handier. 24" may hang better for off hand shots, as it should, but if I walk around a lot and if there is bush to be gone through, 20" is better. I also have a 25" 300 wm and even in open country that seems long and in the forest the muzzle always seems to be "in the way"...another reason why I'm going down in cartridge power...I want to shoot something that is not as loud and does not need 25+ " barrel to burn all the powder. I find 9.3x62 not having much blast or noise even out of the 20" barrel. 18.5" barrels are nice also. I used to have a Ruger Scout rifle in .308 and found it quite handy but seemed noisy. Also the loss of velocity on an already slow cartridge like 9.3x62 might be a bit much between 18.5" and 24" and the muzzle blast might be a bit more noticeable. I also used to have Sako Kodiak which had 21" or 21.5" barrel, I believe, and it too was nice to handle. Now I will be testing a 22" barrel and hope to find it OK. Either way for me the sweet spot seems to be around 20-21" hopefully maybe 22" is where it's at.

Have the 22" barrel on my Mauser M12 Max...Perfect, IMHO. Short enough that it doesn't catch anything, light so you can carry it all day, middle of the road length is good compromise on the former two and performance.

2550 out of a 24" bbl 285gr Nosler Part. That's all i need

IM fond of he 9.3x62 for even DG, but on DG I like the 300 gr. Swift or the 320 gr. Woodleigh, and found the velocity lose not to my liking in a 20" barrel, 2400 fPS is my quest and that usually takes a 26 inch barrel..I have a 24 inch fast barrel that get real close to that, so I see no disadvantage to a 4 extra inches on a rifle, hell my pocket knife is longer than that..Were I to want a 20 inch carbine Id chope off my 375 Ruger Hawkeye or my .416 Rem...but to each his own, just speaking for myself answering your request..

I have 48cm long barrel with Jaki supressor. Lapua factory load 16,2g
Naturalis is only 730m/s fast and today I tested 16,2g Barnes Ttsx reloads and 750m/s is about what i can get. I think 48cm barrel is too short for this caliper.

Sorry....this turned out to be longer reply than intended. Hopefully it makes sense:

I have a CZ550 FS and shoot 285/286gr bullets (usually Norma Oryx but also S&B, Remington SP and Prvi Partizan). They all seem to shoot well out of the relatively short barrel but I would not want to be pressed to shoot past 200 with it. More due to rainbow-like ballistics than anything else. I guess I suck at judging inches at estimated distances on unknown sized animals. Even at known distances, I would prefer a scope that has couple of bullet drop points/dots or hash marks in order to know where bullet hits at 150 and 200, etc. I found the 2-7x33 VX2 Leupold scope I had with 2 dots, would max out at about 200m. Sighted dead on at 100, the first dot was 140, the second 170 I think. The thick part of the post was 200 and a bit. I sight mine at 100 as I also shoot at 70m or so. Even closer sometimes (had a small buck at 30m). At 30, being 1.5" low is no biggie but at 70m it is actually shooting high and then comes down again to dead on at 100. So knowing where it hits is the main thing. This may seem like something everybody knows but I really struggled with it in Africa when the ranges changed quickly from 170 to 200m and beyond. Also at 200, even at full magnification the deer here was kind of small in the scope already. So while I believe one can easily shoot and kill with it at 300 or beyond, especially when sighted say 2" high at 100m, I still would consider this caliber more of a closer range affair. At least out of my 20" barrel and mainly with me behind the trigger. Anybody can hit a gong at known distance with any caliber if you are sighted in at one distance a know the ballistics and then dial in for the given distance but when hunting, I do not seem to be able to click my scope up or down, so having "BDC reticle" type of scope or flatter shooting cartridge seems to work better for me then.

As to penetration or killing power of the 9.3, I would not worry much. I find it overpenetrating on small, soft-skinned game, shooting through 2 hearts of 2 different animals leaving only a finger sized hole in the heart and the animal running or bucking wildly (bucking is preferred :) ). If you hit anything more solid or a heavier animal, the results seem impressive.
I shot a boar, impala, oryx, waterbuck, wildebeast and 3 whitetails so far since I bought it in 2012 or 2013. Getting to know the ballistics of this cartridge in my rifle was the biggest challenge but can be done easily and should be done with any rifle and cartridge one is not familiar with anyway. Unfortunately I was not familiar with either and did not have opportunity to learn more until my first African hunting trip and it put a bit of a damper on it. I feel better about the rifle/caliber choice now but I'm still going to try a flatter shooting rig for hunting this year. Yet I absolutely love the rifle and cartridge and it is the first one I grab when hunting starts. So there...the flatter ones I may try because I already have them but who knows if it means I will hunt with them.
Yes the little Leupold is a great scope for the 9.3 x62 but I think you are selling it a little short sighting it in for 100 yards. A mate of mine has one on his Mauser. He sights it in on 200 yds 2.5” high at 100 yds . First dot 270 yds and second on at 320 yds . Drops 4” at his 350 yd steel plate.

I have 48cm long barrel with Jaki supressor. Lapua factory load 16,2g
Naturalis is only 730m/s fast and today I tested 16,2g Barnes Ttsx reloads and 750m/s is about what i can get. I think 48cm barrel is too short for this caliper.
What do you get with a 286grn bullet?...

That Leupold 2-7x33 dot hold overs are with a 250 gr Atomic at about 2600 fps. I use a 9.3x64 Breneke and get 2860 fps with the 250 gr. I have just bought a 20” left handed Sako about to start loading for . I wanted to know what velocities people were getting with this length barrel. I’m starting with 2206H , 2208 or Varget and a double based powder that is no longer available Rel 12. Hoping to get close to 2600 but will see what happens. I don’t think barrel length plays a big part with a cartridge like this. But like the 308 win only more so.
Ken

Yes the little Leupold is a great scope for the 9.3 x62 but I think you are selling it a little short sighting it in for 100 yards. A mate of mine has one on his Mauser. He sights it in on 200 yds 2.5” high at 100 yds . First dot 270 yds and second on at 320 yds . Drops 4” at his 350 yd steel plate.
You are right. I’m actually thinking of putting a slightly bigger scope on it and stretching the 9.3 legs a bit. Just to see.

255 yards with iron sights! That's a hell of a shot stug! I will be very happy if I can find a load for 250 gr Accubonds or Barnes TTSXs that will do 2500fps out of a 20 inch barrel.

Saw that kudu video before, totally awesome!
I have just bought a Sako Barvarian with a 20” barrel. Yesterday I tested 3 different powders with 250 gr woodleighs . The best powder in the 20” barrel turned out to be 2206H . In my rifle 59 grs gave 2530 fps. 60 punched out 2554 fps. 2208 or Varget was around 100 fps slower with the same Weight.
I did try the 250 Accubond with 60 grs of Varget and got 2455 fps and shot a .624” 3 shot group. Will be doing more testing soon and will put up the results if anyone is interested. Have some Sako 232 gr monolithics coming and that will be interesting.

Dear all,

I am currently eyeing to buy either a 20 inch Sako or Sauer rifle chambered in 9.3x62 Mauser. How far should I limit my shots to? Will the weight of the bullet be an advantage to buck wind or will the velocity I will be getting from the 20 inch barrel negate this?

Should I go with 232 grain Oryx or 250 grain Nosler Accubonds for plains game?

Thank you.

If you want a shorter rifle I'd buy a double.

I’m stating to enjoy the feel of my short and compact 20” Sako. Not to mention weight reduction when carrying it. I will be trying out 2 new loads in it this weekend.
1 the Sako 232 gr hammerhead blade with ADI 2206 H
2 Cutting Edge FB 200 gr Raptor
Quick load are suggesting ADI 2219 with a potential 2770 fps.
let you know how they go. Shooting them over a radar chronograph which is very accurate. Had a chroni before and it varied 150 fps faster than my mates same model.
Let you know the results.

Agree! I site all my rifles in 2.5" high at 100 yards. My 270 Weatherby is dead on at 25 yards then again at 275 yards. My 500 Jeffery is dead on at 25 yards then again at 175 yards :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross