Therack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA PF DU NWTF
In preparation for my upcoming hunt I purchased shooting sticks. Before going to the range I have some questions on form. Does my forward hand grip the sticks or the rifle stock? Are my feet shoulder width apart or one foot in front of the other? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Therack,
I grip the forestock with my left hand and seat the rifle snugly into the sticks.....this keeps the rifle from jumping up as you fire. With my 416 and 458 Lott I lean into the rifle with my left foot/leg well forward because of the recoil. With my 300 win mag I don't need to do that but it feels comfortable to me so it is the position I use but I don't lean in. I have seen people square up to the sticks and shoot just fine. See what works for you.

I'm no expert by any means it here is what I do with my 375 and 458 Lott. I'm right handed.

I hold the rifle like I normally would shooting off hand. Pull the butt in nice and tight. Left foot forward and leaning into it a bit (I try to let my body roll at the abdomen with the recoil as much as I can). I make my feet about shoulder width apart with the heel of my left foot about in line where the toe of my right foot is. I keep my knees slightly bent. It's really kind of a boxer's stance.

I then simply place my hand in the V of the sticks. That way I maintain control of the gun and the sticks remain in place. It isn't the most comfortable place for my left hand but it is the best position for me. A glove makes it a bit more comfortable.

I found doing this was more steady for me than holding the sticks, holding the gun to the sticks, or holding the gun and placing the stock in the sticks. Not holding the fore end is simply not an option with the Lott. The thing jumps out of the sticks like its spring loaded. However, it is possible to shoot the 375 without holding the fore end.

I think in the end you really should try them all and see which works best for you. You can try all the positions and find out which is the most steady for you without even firing a shot. I really think there is no right way. You either hit your target or you don't. Which ever style lets you hit what you are aiming at and allows a reasonably quick follow up is all that matters.

The only style I would strongly reccomend against would be placing the barrel in the V. That position would not be conducive to accuracy.

In preparation for my upcoming hunt I purchased shooting sticks. Before going to the range I have some questions on form. Does my forward hand grip the sticks or the rifle stock? Are my feet shoulder width apart or one foot in front of the other? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this link we had some pretty good discussion on this very topic.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/getting-ready-for-the-big-hunt.26235/

Feet should be shoulder width apart, and you can put right foot back just a little if you need to in order to take the recoil. The idea though is that you are forming two trianges for stability. The first triange is the feet of the sticks. The second triangle is your two feet and where the gun touches the sticks.

Play with what works for you as far as hand on gun or sticks. I load the rifle forward and grab the sticks. Loading the sticks makes you more stable so you might as well do it. I do this with my .375 even and dont have too much of a hold on the gun, just a bit with a couple of fingers. With my Lott, I hold the dang rifle!!!! :)

By the way, I didn't just figure this out on my own. I went to SAAM and learned from a Navy Seal. I truly believe it is the right way. It is not the way I did it before and I was comfortable before. After some practice I'm as comfortble now, but my shooting is much better. Like with anything else, good form counts!

Ask @Waterguy631 if changing his stance was worth it or not. :)

I think in the end you really should try them all and see which works best for you. You can try all the positions and find out which is the most steady for you without even firing a shot. I really think there is no right way

Agree mostly, until it comes to the feet. There is a right way, physics says so. :)

practice practice and more practice i just returned from an african shoot fest and I can tell you to be ready for any kind of shot at distances from 50 yds to 350 and have plenty of gun as they arent all ideal broadside vollies. I shot offhand def practice that. I shot with my elbows and arms on the top rail of a bakkie, i shot off a rock pile, I shot off sticks. i shot down on my knees under and thru holes in the brush, basically practice everything and shoot when told and you wont have all day so practice getting on traget rapidly. Many times the animals are in brush especially now as all is green or they are in a group and you need to shoot when the hole opens clear on the animals most times i didnt have a big open window to the target. It just kinda the way all hunting is the big ones rarely stand right out in the open. PS send a private message to Beans he has some kinda 4 legged shooting stick set up I used for a bush buck at 210 yds and it was like shooting off a bench and ask how he rigged that thing it is awesome!

I doubt thee is any correct stance , practice and use what works the best for you.

You're right, nothing correct, just one that is more stable. I like stable when I'm shooting but that is just me. If anyone shoots better being less stable they should do it. Hopefully the wind won't blow on them that day. Stability also might be why three leg sticks are so much more popular than two or one leg sticks.

If I'm going to try and thread a shot at a monster sable through the brush I want that extra edge that I have given myself through good form and practice.

Best shooting stance ever. Hey, it worked for the karate kid...

images.jpg

I struggled with bipod sticks until I found what worked for me. Lots of pressure pulling the sticks toward me. Forearm of stock is therefore being pulled toward me. This provided minimal shake and allowed my right trigger hand to have minimal tension and merely operate the trigger. This proved most accurate with rifle and crossbow.

I would suggest holding the rifle as you would shoot out of the shoulder standing with your feet in the same position as you always put them, then just add the shooting stick into the equation for the stability, i wouldn't hold the shooting sticks!
Practice and see what works best for you.....

@Therack , my advice front foot pointed in same direction as rifle, back foot shoulder apart at 90 degrees, leaning slightly forward into the sticks, medium rifle I hold the stick and the rifle, generally one or two fingers over the rifle, larger guns I hold the rifle with a full hand pulling it down onto the shooting sticks. Incorrect stance will lead to you pulling your shots. Will agree that practice counts.

relax and concentrate on the shot!!!!

My bushbuck was off the sticks, sharply downhill and I kept trying to fall into them, so in that case you'd want to push the sticks away from you to stabilize yourself.

Use them as a rest, get a good shot, and take it, don't overthink it.

After royals training i took my groups from 6 inches at 200 yrds to 2 inches at 200 at and that was just from squaring up my feet.

I wish I could shoot like that! Even with squared feet I can't do that!

Stability matters.... If anyone doesn't think it does then throw the sticks away and shoot offhand. :)

Thanks for all the help. I thought it would be best to start with the correct form. I already have enough bad habits!!,

Well poo. I must retract my previous post in part.

After reading what TMS and Royal wrote I went to try out modifying my stance.

I squared up much more with the gun. Stood a bit more erect. Took my hand out of the V. Put the fore end in the V just in front of my hands. Pulled the gun down into the sticks. Wow. More steady than I had found before.

So I went to shoot today. Cut my group sizes in half. I've been shooting 6" groups with my Lott using an aim point micro at 100 yards. Now they are much smaller and it is easier to get on target.

I was wrong before. There is a right way to do it. I stand by that you should shoot from the steadiest position for you but my original technique was wrong.

I'm glad this topic came along. I head to Zimbabwe at the end of the month. Time to start practicing with the new stance.

Wish I could figure out how to post a picture from my phone. I shot the best group I ever have off the sticks with the Lott today at 100 yards. 3 shots 1.5" ctc.

You guys are the best.

Well poo. I must retract my previous post in part.

After reading what TMS and Royal wrote I went to try out modifying my stance.

Appreciate the testimony and glad it made such a difference. I haven't talked to anyone yet who squaring up didn't help their shooting from sticks.

One of my pets peeves is "whatever is comfortable." It makes me shudder, especially when it comes to footwork. Can you imagine asking for help with your golf swing and someone saying "whatever is comfortable." Or throwing a football/baseball? There is a reason the pros work on the fundamentals and have a coach help them to do it right, as opposed to what is comfortable.

Heck, jerking the trigger is "comfortable" to me, especially with my Lott. It sure doesn't help my shooting though!!!

OK, mini rant over! :)

Wish I could figure out how to post a picture from my phone. I shot the best group I ever have off the sticks with the Lott today at 100 yards. 3 shots 1.5" ctc.

Look right next to the "post reply" button and click on "upload a file." Then click on documents or gallery depending on your phone. Odds are your recent photos will be right there. Hope this helps as I'd love to see the photos!

Just to be different, I actually grip the shooting stick with my left hand and place my thumb or index finger up the side of the forestock to steady the rifle if the rifle has no sling. If the rifle has a sling attached, I actually grip the sling and shooting stick in my left hand. This method works remarkably well for me.
13164207_10154697110710400_3102912011017591838_n.jpg

Attachments

• 13164207_10154697110710400_3102912011017591838_n.jpg
    13164207_10154697110710400_3102912011017591838_n.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg