Shooting from sticks

I shot over 500 rounds off sticks this past spring in preparation for my June hunt and received a lot of good tips that work!

Stand tall......set the sticks at shoulder to just below shoulder hight as you stand normal

Lock your arm strait.....front arm....no elbow bend. This creates a triangle that locks your torso

Stop using your thumb on your trigger hand and slide your elbow into your chest. The but of your rifle now rest on your shoulder and bicep

Put your forward hand open facing away from you grabbing the sticks under the V with your last three fingers and form another V with your thumb and index finger....now squeeze the sticks and the forarm of the rifle together.....btw.....I dont lean.....stand as flat and balanced as possible for control of working the bolt

If you have a rimfire use it and practice shooting very small targets on very low scope power at 50 to 75 yards.....this will give you good practice and is very underrated

could you explain the quote in red a little more?

thanks
-matt

^^^

Matt,

I'm not sure that what is being suggested would work with a big bore, if I'm understanding it correctly. I don't want my arm locked, nor do I want my thumb to not be firmly locked around the grip. With a small bore that would be a way to do it, but not with the recoil management considerations that you will need.

Just my opinion.

sorta what I figured but I didn't want to pick a fight. (y) (Ive been making a lot of enemies on forums lately)

-matt

I have taken to scaring the neighbors a bit. The closest public rifle range with 2 and 3 hundred yard ranges is a 100 mile round trip from my house. I went in my backyard and started sighting on a piece of 2x4 trying to get a solid stance. The sticks I bought are bipod Primos Trigger ones and that is what I will stick with. If the PH has a tripod I will shoot from those. I am much steadier now with some of the mechanics suggested. A more face on wide stance has helped. I was standing sideways at the range last weekend and after 70 rounds I suppose a little wore down shoulder wise. I loaded 600 rounds over the winter and I plan on putting most of them to use before I leave in late August. I will take my bipod along as it collapses in a nice short package that has a special place in my hard rifle case. I will use those for glassing as Tedthorn suggested. As with most things a little repetition goes a long way.

I have taken to scaring the neighbors a bit. The closest public rifle range with 2 and 3 hundred yard ranges is a 100 mile round trip from my house. I went in my backyard and started sighting on a piece of 2x4 trying to get a solid stance. The sticks I bought are bipod Primos Trigger ones and that is what I will stick with. If the PH has a tripod I will shoot from those. I am much steadier now with some of the mechanics suggested. A more face on wide stance has helped. I was standing sideways at the range last weekend and after 70 rounds I suppose a little wore down shoulder wise. I loaded 600 rounds over the winter and I plan on putting most of them to use before I leave in late August. I will take my bipod along as it collapses in a nice short package that has a special place in my hard rifle case. I will use those for glassing as Tedthorn suggested. As with most things a little repetition goes a long way.

Keep shooting and things will fall into place. If you use a cary strap install it on your rifle so you get used to its feel with the yoke.

My PH used the trigger stix tripod and I gotta admit it's a good piece of equipment.

Invest in a Tripod Trigger-Stick. They fit into your rifle bag, are more stable than a bi-pod and are easy to adjust on uneven ground. In South Africa they cost about $100. Regarding the stance - Read @tedthorn post above. He has it nailed especially regarding how you hold the stick with your left hand.

Hi Everyone,

Nothing matters more than shot placement - and so I find this really interesting/important.

I find that bi-sticks are only good to about 100yds; tripod sticks are good to about 150yds. Yes, it is possible to kill off tripod sticks out to a long distance, but after 150yds it becomes difficult (IMHO) for a normal shooter to make ethical, reliable shots that are consistently accurate.

I have made some good clean kill shots off tripods (out to 260 yds), and one bad shot (gut @ 280yds) that resulted in the sad and regrettable loss of a Hartmann's Zebra.

IMHO, and speaking personally, I will not shoot off a tripod beyond 200yds (maximum).

A total gamechager is the 'quad-sticks': http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=54150149949

These, or similar brands, are frankly incredible. The rest/sight picture is almost as solid as a prone or bench rest. I cannot express how solid the rest provided by these sticks is.

Qualifier: The quad sticks are a little cumbersome, and some people/PHs don't like the hassle of erecting them for a shot. However, if you practice, you/the PH can get very fast with them. Some come with a fifth leg (get rid of this quickly - they work the same without it and it is hard to set up).

Last thing -

I find that a great half-way-house is the use of sticks from sitting. Most are adjustable and can be used this way. By sitting on his arse, the shooter can place his stock hand on the rest and his trigger elbow on his knee (right for right hand and vice versa). This provides the most stable of rests and allows (IMHO) shots up to whatever maximum range the rifle and shooter are capable of.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

I think I have this figured out. I am shooting reasonably well at 100 yards(3 inch groups) and fairly well at 200 yards (6 inch groups). A more square to the target upright stance with an arm wrapped in the sling yields the best results for me. Any thing beyond 150 yards and I am going prone or sitting I think. 4 weeks to go so I still have time to work on the 200 yard plus shooting. It took me a bit of time to translate tedthorns reply since I am a lefty with the rifle. I have used info from a half dozen of your replies, so thank you again to everyone. This truly is a great forum and website.

Quite often the reason for shooting sticks is because of the height of the bush around you and the animals when you hunt. If the grass and bush was low or there was none then why not always lie down, be stable and shoot of the rifle bipod or sit.

@cptkirk - Be careful to depend on a non-stick shot at 150 yards or beyond as highly likely your terrain might not lend to a difference stance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois