Shooting Corbett's 450-400

What a neat thing. Hope Bill sets up again at DSC this year.

During my early high school years a friend and I drove to Salmon Idaho to stay with his parents acquaintance who was a bush pilot. Elmer often came to his house at the airport for coffee. After meeting him several times he invited me to his house. I don’t recall him having many guns but he showed me a S&W serial number 1 that was given to him by S&W for help develop the 41 mag or maybe it was a 44 mag. Also, he started reaching under couches pulling out double rifles. All were what he called “working rifles. One of the guns he described as “the most used but least abused guns that he has ever seen”. Could this possibly have been Corbett’s gun? If Elmer owned it in the early 1960’s maybe so. He did comment that most of the doubles were given to him.

Chris, is this rifle in Bill J’s collection? I’ve handled a number of Bill’s rifles but I don’t recall this one.
Who is Bill J?

During my early high school years a friend and I drove to Salmon Idaho to stay with his parents acquaintance who was a bush pilot. Elmer often came to his house at the airport for coffee. After meeting him several times he invited me to his house. I don’t recall him having many guns but he showed me a S&W serial number 1 that was given to him by S&W for help develop the 41 mag or maybe it was a 44 mag. Also, he started reaching under couches pulling out double rifles. All were what he called “working rifles. One of the guns he described as “the most used but least abused guns that he has ever seen”. Could this possibly have been Corbett’s gun? If Elmer owned it in the early 1960’s maybe so. He did comment that most of the doubles were given to him.
Keith owned a Boswell 500 and a Westley 476. We had both of those rifles (along with Corbett's 400) at this event.

Having said that, it did shoot to POA for me.
Shooting that rifle sounds like a great experience! Just out of curiosity, what type of ammunition did you use? (e.g., vintage, modern factory, or reloads)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!