Shooting Corbett's 450-400

Chris Sells

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
A highlight of my firearms career... shooting Jim Corbett's 400 Jeffery!

20211023_155745-01.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what the weight of that double is?
Hi, Kevin. The rifle was made by Jeffery @ 1909. It has 24" barrels, and I would guess the weight at just under 10 lbs. But I'm sure the exact weight is documented somewhere.

What stood out the most was just how well-used the rifle is. The only traces of black on the barrels are under forend, and only shadows of the of the checkering remain.

The wood has shrunk over the years, with metal proud in several places, and the bores are well-worn and frosty.

I can say that Jim Corbett definitely got his money's worth out of the rifle, and I wish I had the chance to shoot my mine this much!

The second thing I thought about when holding the rifle was all the miles it had covered, the places it had been, and all of the things it had seen. Invariably, the thought comes to mind of "if only it could talk..."

Hi, Kevin. The rifle was made by Jeffery @ 1909. It has 24" barrels, and I would guess the weight at just under 10 lbs. But I'm sure the exact weight is documented somewhere.

What stood out the most was just how well-used the rifle is. The only traces of black on the barrels are under forend, and only shadows of the of the checkering remain.

The wood has shrunk over the years, with metal proud in several places, and the bores are well-worn and frosty.

I can say that Jim Corbett definitely got his money's worth out of the rifle, and I wish I had the chance to shoot my mine this much!

The second thing I thought about when holding the rifle was all the miles it had covered, the places it had been, and all of the things it had seen. Invariably, the thought comes to mind of "if only it could talk..."
It would be great to see it next to an 89b 450/400

How did it shoot Chris?

Hi, Mike.

I would say the shooting experience was more symbolic in nature. That is to say that we didn't really shoot the rifle repeatedly at any great distance with accuracy in mind, it was more about just having pulled the trigger on such a noteworthy rifle. Having said that, it did shoot to POA for me.

Chris, is this rifle in Bill J’s collection? I’ve handled a number of Bill’s rifles but I don’t recall this one.

Hi, Mike.

I would say the shooting experience was more symbolic in nature. That is to say that we didn't really shoot the rifle repeatedly at any great distance with accuracy in mind, it was more about just having pulled the trigger on such a noteworthy rifle. Having said that, it did shoot to POA for me.

Nice... great experience to have been able to shoot it :D Beers:

A highlight of my firearms career... shooting Jim Corbett's 400 Jeffery!

View attachment 433578
That is outstanding!! What a piece of hunting history. Yes indeed, if only that rifle could speak. The stories it must have. You're a lucky man indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!