Shipping trophies from South Africa - Do not use Dip-Pack LTD

Jamindux

AH member
Reaction score
Hello fellow hunters,

Recently received my trophies from a family South African plains game safari. On the recommendation of PH utilized Big Buck taxidermy and they use Dip-Pack LTD for their shipping. Crate delivered via ocean freight and was opened prior to arrival in the US and prised zebra rug removed. Completely unprofessional and irresponsible. To avoid this from happening to your trophies, strongly recommend you do NOT utilize the services of Dip-Pack or their agent Andreas. Unable to get response or resolution.
Do not make the same mistake I did.
Happy hunting.

Well, I used Dip Pack last year and I would second this. Total screw up with the shipping and unwilling to accept responsibility. As a matter of fact they tried to shift the blame back to me.

I also used Big Buck and there were some issues (ie damages upon delivery) but they quickly offered to remedy via a credit on taxidermy work for my hunt this year. My attitude toward the damage was that sometimes things happen on a long journey and they quickly responded so I'm happy.

Hello fellow hunters,

Recently received my trophies from a family South African plains game safari. On the recommendation of PH utilized Big Buck taxidermy and they use Dip-Pack LTD for their shipping. Crate delivered via ocean freight and was opened prior to arrival in the US and prised zebra rug removed. Completely unprofessional and irresponsible. To avoid this from happening to your trophies, strongly recommend you do NOT utilize the services of Dip-Pack or their agent Andreas. Unable to get response or resolution.
Happy hunting.

Jamindux, Welcome to AH.
Where did you hunt and what did you get?
Like to hear the tales and see the photos and hear about the good parts.

Had similar situation with damage, but Big Buck did not offer to credit. Was not too bad and did not push the issue.
Dip-pack however was egregious! Crate opened and zebra rug removed and they tried to blame Fauna and Flora.
Nobody should do business with this company.
Perhaps negative posts will warn others and decrease their business.

Had similar situation with damage, but Big Buck did not offer to credit. Was not too bad and did not push the issue.
Dip-pack however was egregious! Crate opened and zebra rug removed and they tried to blame Fauna and Flora.
Nobody should do business with this company.
Perhaps negative posts will warn others and decrease their business.

Some background on the complainant would help to. :)

Thank you for your report Jamindux.

Regardless of membership he is unprofessional and unethical
Refuses to respond or resolve.
Not not use Dip-pack!

This reflects bad on our whole industry ! The trophies are the hunters most prized posessions . I think it is most important for any outfit to recommend the best people to use ! I can honestly say that Trophy Solutions are the way to go ! They give give excellent service and have fery good communication with the clients. I have never ha any problems and only praises from my clients.

Johan and Estie are both very active members of PHASA ! I suggest you talk to them if you like to " dip and ship " Visit Home Page !

Regardless of membership he is unprofessional and unethical
Refuses to respond or resolve.
Not not use Dip-pack!

Jamindux, I appreciate that you would like to place a bad post regarding poor service.
Apparently you did not understand the context that Jerome's post.
It is to offer help.
Not as your tone presumes, an implied defence of a member.

Perhaps another method of attempting to resolve your situation positively!
PM. the guy here on AH. Maybe, he'll respond.

AH MEMBERS typically try to help each other out.

I just PM'd him inviting him to help out and address this situation for another AH member.
I hope it works out.

Jamindux

Welcome to AH...

Did you check with your taxidermist on who they recommended to use in South Africa...

I do know that the few i visited with have a set up in South Africa. You just have to ask the questions before going.

Most of the international Taxidermist that i have talked to have recommended Dip & Pack plus they have shipping recommendations also. This also included the importer in the USA.

When items are shipped and have many stops involved it would be wise to have insurance on your trophies. It also is available and depending on your budget it is well worth the few extra dollars to cover this expense. Insurance companies are like bull dogs when fighting to obtain your goods. Something to consider in the future...

When the Dip & Pack company delivered your crate to the shipper then they have handed your goods to the next leg of your trophies on there way home. Your crate was open you say, Well it is opened and inspected in the USA on arrival before it go onto it's next leg on the way to your label destination.

While i have realized you have suffered a loss, if you do not know where the break down in the shipment came it will be hard for your to pin this on the Dip & Pack Business.

A side note, From what i have seen and the stories i have heard you should be looking to the South African Air shipper and it storage. As i have visually seen items were opened, even my bag this past year the pockets on my checked bag were gone through and items removed. Plus i have read and was informed, plus it is recommended that you have all your items very secure when they are in the Joberg airport.

Now it appears that your items were finished, a zebra rug in good condition sells for about $4,000 USD in South Africa to tourist (i checked in May before my return) and will sell for less on the black market. Warthog tusk are a valued item and also sell on the open market for $$ if they are Large or X-Large. finished products are what the black market parties are looking for.

The communication line is alive and well in South Africa and i do believe that your shipment was probably targeted and followed from taxidermist to Dip and Pack and then to the terminal to sit (days or weeks) waiting to be loaded for export and shipping.

If i were you i would start with the taxidermist and see when it was delivered to the Dip & Pack company and then when they delivered it on to the shipper?

Try and find where the break down occurred, most of these business take pictures when they have items finished and pass along. follow the paper trail to see where it leads.

Example if the taxidermist delivered all items on Day 1 to the dip and pack. Check
Day 2 dip and pack start work on your items. Check
Day 10 dip and pack deliver to shipper. Check
Day 15 Shipper delivers to Airport for shipping. Check

Day 25 items are shipped.Check
Day 27 items arrive in USA. Check

Now find out who was the first to notice the crate was open. and the prior step is the one to begin your chat with.

Hello fellow hunters,

Recently received my trophies from a family South African plains game safari. On the recommendation of PH utilized Big Buck taxidermy and they use Dip-Pack LTD for their shipping. Crate delivered via ocean freight and was opened prior to arrival in the US and your prized zebra rug removed. Completely unprofessional and irresponsible. To avoid this from happening to your trophies, strongly recommend you do NOT utilize the services of Dip-Pack or their agent Andreas. Unable to get response or resolution.
Happy hunting.

James,

Seriously? 4000$US for a zebra rug anywhere??!!

WELL I'm sure that If It were a new WORLD RECORD it would be worth that much. I have many taxidermist friends that can get and would rug one for quit a bit less. I have traveled all over Africa for more the 20 years and YES prices are always going up. BUT the point here is this is this guys TROPHY and it doesn't matter if its the smalles in the word, He has a right to be very Poed! Even insurance will never get his back. OK so you get a little money for it (who cares).
I would want my animal back that I hunted. There is unfortunately way to much of this going on these days. Maybe antis maybe thiefs, doesnt matter it needs to stop. And the only people that can make that happen are us hunters:confused:

The going rate at tourist places seems to be R20,000 on a zebra hide, about $2500. In the US I battle to get over $1000 for one.

Hi guys

It is VERY sad to hear about people stealing trophies. Here is an offer for help if anyone is interested.
We have a æ¾±iltong hunt later the year and we could hunt a Zebra for you. We will not charge you any hefty trophy fees for it,
just the local cost that we (South Africans) will pay and the taxidermy fees, and of course the dip and packing of it.
I know that it will never replace the trophy that you harvested, but it might help making it better.

Yes by the Joberg Airport.

My sister was looking at a a zebra rug and i asked what the rate would be and was told $4,000 USD for the one she was looking at.

James,

Seriously? 4000$US for a zebra rug anywhere??!!

The stuff at JHB International Airport is always more expensive than what you could get at local shops. I am always amazed at their prices when looking at stuff at the airport.

I followed the recommendation of the PH who I later learn has a business relationship with Big Buck. They use Dip-Pack for shipping and now I am without my praised zebra rug.
My personal suggestion is for hunting clients to communicate with one another and share experiences. That way better chance of making a good decision, not like what happened to me!the more information available to research the better one can choose who to conduct business with.knowledge is power.
This reflects bad on our whole industry ! The trophies are the hunters most prized posessions . I think it is most important for any outfit to recommend the best people to use ! I can honestly say that Trophy Solutions are the way to go ! They give give excellent service and have fery good communication with the clients. I have never ha any problems and only praises from my clients.

Johan and Estie are both very active members of PHASA ! I suggest you talk to them if you like to " dip and ship " Visit Home Page !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg