huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Is it worth the money or not? It seems like if something happens there is nothing you can force on the airlines. So why do we pay for it? Is it worth paying for?

It's worth it in my opinion.

You won't get what you really think that you should but at least you will get something if something should happen to your shipment.

Insurance is always a gamble. You are betting that something will happen and they are betting that nothing will.

Read the policy and just do the math.
What is the actual market value of your trophies? Nothing close to what you paid out.
Making a claim in the first world is hard enough, can you imagine making an international claim?

It's never made any sense to me.

Your bet!

Make sure that it’s insured to it’s final destination, and not the first stop. That might be to your house or the fur dressing company.

What is the actual market value of your trophies? Nothing close to what you paid out.
Making a claim in the first world is hard enough, can you imagine making an international claim?

Your bet!

This is the policy.. doesnt look like it covers much at all?
Screenshot_20190626-123840_Drive.jpg

Your bet!

So are you saying you dont pay for the insurance? To me 400 dollars seems like a waste when looking at the policy. Although they said it was for 25k (about 7 Times more than my hunt) so im.not surr how they got that number.

I think I started a post about my ordeal having to collect for damages to my 2017 trophies.

Rex Shipping, shipped my trophies from South Africa to home, Alanta is about 3 1/2 hour drive from my home, I saved around $300.00 picking them up myself vs delivery to my home via Coppersmith.

Rex insured my trophies: and this is where things get complicated: Santam Marine and WKWebster were involved, still not sure how with my insurance claim.

Filled my claim in August 2017. I received my claim settlement 4 June 2018 from Santam Marine, minus $120.00 for currency exchange.

WKWebster said, "......normally we would cut your check....however, your settlement is being paid directly from Santam Marine....had we settled with you you should have received your settlement already....."

This took many emails and phone calls to a variety of claims agents and reps, a search of the web for WKWebster contact information, more emails and phone calls, transmitting multiple photos and claims forms referencing the damages and estimated costs of animals that need to be repaired.

BTW:
These trophies represent my first African Safaris.

The crate was hit by a forklift multiple times, damaging all 7 trophies from minor to a big picture hole in the base of the neck to my 59 inch kudu.

Was having the insurance worth the aggravation? Decide for yourself....to me it was.

All in total $12,500.00: flights, new rifle with accessories, camera with accessories, 7 day/ 6 night hunt, overnight at Safari Club in Jo'berg, taxidermy, tips, Henry Permits, Global Travel Insurance, shipping costs and souvegnier shopping.
Claim Settlement minus currency exchange fee $9700.00 and a little change.

IMO Yes! on shipping insurance my 2018 trophies are in Atlanta, air freight via Delta, should be ready for me to pick up from Coppersmith next week. HOPEFULLY they won't be damaged.(n)

Special Thanks to James Williamson of Kubusi Safaris, Mike Rex of Rex Shipping and Chris Wright of WKWebster for their persistance in getting Santam Marine to settle my claim.

Last edited:
We paid the extra $250 in case something like the above happened. Currently our crate has been in NJ awaiting USDA inspection or it's next flight on to Chicago for two weeks now, and I'm fearful of the handling it's probably seen while waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!