Shipping horns and hides?

Finn fan

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
Can some one give me a good ballpark cost of shipping for something like 5 sets of horns and hides from Africa to the US?

Can some one give me a good ballpark cost of shipping for something like 5 sets of horns and hides from Africa to the US?

too broad a question. I would crudely calculate the size and weight of a plywood crate big enough to hold your expected trophies and email a shipper for a quote. Some shippers are truly outrageous, others just plain expensive. Nothing is going to be cheap.

There are a combination of fix or flat fees and then some variable fees (weight & volume). So shipping 5 animals is not half the price of shipping 10 animals. Where in Africa vs where in the US?

I shipped 3 sets of horns and hides (Blue Wild., Waterbuck, Impala) from Zimbabwe to Seattle for about $1,000. That is for crating and shipping. Then I paid another $379 for Coppersmith to clear it in Seattle and organize and handle shipping to the tannery in Montana. Shipping from Seattle to Montana was $185.

$600-$1,000 ballpark of course :)

Don't forget the dip and pack that is required or the tanning of the hides in Africa plus the crating fee which is usually 15% of the dip and pack. Then the shipping is on top of that and as was mentioned the clearing fees unless you plan on trying to do that yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross