AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
Does anyone have a favorite shipping company and why?

I don't mean to sound petty, but I'm irritated. Taxidermy from my hunt last April in the Eastern Cape is completed. I was advised that it was given to their preferred shipper. Shipper sent me his bill which is $900 higher than my shipping bill in October 2017. This current load is lighter and should be packed in to a smaller crate. Admittedly, this load had to be trucked to JNB from Port Elizabeth. I'm looking at a little over $2500.
I have noticed that airfare on Delta is $600 higher than it was last year from LAS to JNB and this may account for the higher air freight charges.

The bigger issue is the shipper's lack of ability to take credit cards. They insist on wire transfers to their bank. The last time I did this I was inundated with scam emails. To be clear, I have the money. I just really hate doing wire transfers to South Africa. I have noticed this when dealing with companies in SA. I applaud companies like Pawprint Safaris for having a PayPal link on their websites. I have tried to explain to people why this is a good idea.

Oh, I also did my taxes today. At least, I paid less than I did last year,....

I don't mean to sound petty, but I'm irritated. Taxidermy from my hunt last April in the Eastern Cape is completed. I was advised that it was given to their preferred shipper. Shipper sent me his bill which is $900 higher than my shipping bill in October 2017. This current load is lighter and should be packed in to a smaller crate. Admittedly, this load had to be trucked to JNB from Port Elizabeth. I'm looking at a little over $2500.
I have noticed that airfare on Delta is $600 higher than it was last year from LAS to JNB and this may account for the higher air freight charges.

The bigger issue is the shipper's lack of ability to take credit cards. They insist on wire transfers to their bank. The last time I did this I was inundated with scam emails. To be clear, I have the money. I just really hate doing wire transfers to South Africa. I have noticed this when dealing with companies in SA. I applaud companies like Pawprint Safaris for having a PayPal link on their websites. I have tried to explain to people why this is a good idea.

Vanguard, can't help you with the shipping company but just want to add onto your Paypal comment in the last para. I run into people regularly (not that I personally know them) that absolutely refuse to use Paypal because they want let you buy guns on their site. I do not understand this, I have used Paypal to send money to many countries! It is always fast and secure. Buying guns, is a very small part of my life and there are many ways to pay for them. If I owned a business other than a gun shop, the first thing I would set up would be Paypal....Period!

Sierraone:

I appreciate your comments. I told a couple safari outfitters about the benefits of PayPal as a safe and EASY way to send and receive money. Both were hesitant due to a belief that PayPal admin didn't like hunting. They may not, but they like money more. I'd have to doublecheck, but I believe PayPal is an option with some sellers on Gunbroker.

Sierraone:

I appreciate your comments. I told a couple safari outfitters about the benefits of PayPal as a safe and EASY way to send and receive money. Both were hesitant due to a belief that PayPal admin didn't like hunting. They may not, but they like money more. I'd have to doublecheck, but I believe PayPal is an option with some sellers on Gunbroker.
Here is my belief:, If you don't have the word gun or firearms in your title, you are probably ok. And if you are ok with that, don't go to a gun show and accept Paypal, they will figure it out and cancel you. I also have sent Pieter Erasmus money through Paypal probably 4 or 5 times! I have bought 3 guns through Gunbroker but always sent a bank money order.
And by the way I don't know if they like hunting or not......and don't care!

The Port Elizabeth taxidermist that did my D&P used Rex Freight. I was using Coppersmith in the US and they were linked in with Rex. I made one, secured online payment with a credit card to Coppersmith and they took care of the charges from Rex Freight. The air shipment went on SAA from Joberg to Washington, DC and then United to Seattle and then trucked to the Montana tannery.

I haven’t used PayPal but do the transfers through my bank without problem. However, now that Pieter takes PayPal I think that is the way to go!

I have used rex freight and coppersmith and you pay on this side for it all. Have done 3 shipments like that and it always went smooth for me.

After using several forwarders and in two cases getting surprises at the end or half way through ($ increases) I use Safari Cargo Systems.
They do well built Wood Crates, packed well and most importantly, given my experiences, the final invoice has NEVER been higher than the free estimate provided to me. Oh, and you can use CC.

@Pieter Erasmus here on AH

Ask a bunch of companies for estimates. Things change and it is the only way to know what the current market is.

Brickburn: I appreciate the comments. The cargo was sent to the shipper without consulting me. So, I was essentially stuck with their choice of shipper from the beginning.

Everyone: Thank you for your input. I always appreciate your opinions.

I have used rex freight and coppersmith and you pay on this side for it all. Have done 3 shipments like that and it always went smooth for me.

Same here, Coppersmith and Rex Freight out of PE.

Brickburn: I appreciate the comments. The cargo was sent to the shipper without consulting me. So, I was essentially stuck with their choice of shipper from the beginning......

I had a shipper chosen for me like that once. A new bill showed up after they had my trophies. The price increase for the final portion of the trip increased significantly. I told them no way and Safari cargo went and picked the trophies up, paid them off and we carried on from there.

You can change horse mid stream in this business, as long as the shipment has not left SA. Good luck.

Last edited:
Marius from KMG uses PayPal works like a charm, he also takes credit cards, but charges 2.5 percent fee per transaction, which is cheap insurance to avoid carrying cash. Hunters and Collectors in Port Elizabeth takes credits cards they do excellent work and are easy to work with.

While you don't have a choice in a fright broker in RSA, you can at least have them price out Turkish Airways to ship to the USA.

I have been very happy with International Freight. Don Wallace is the man to talk to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross