Shipping Cape Buffalo To Hawaii

Maui Kolohe Boy

AH member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My hunting buddy and I are having our Cape Buffalo among other animals shot in South Africa mounted there. I shot a Buff in 2017, and had it mounted in SA, and Quantas shipped it to Hawaii last year. However, Quantas just changed their policy and won't ship any of the Big 5. Delta also won't ship the Big 5. We are being told by our taxidermist and shipper that there are currently no airlines that will ship the Big 5 to Hawaii.

One set of our trophies was ready about 3 months ago, and the other will be ready soon.

Shipping by sea also is not an option, as the shipper related that they won't ship partially filled containers with mounted trophies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wow. I hope you can sort this out. Keep us posted.

Looking into this for you! Be in touch soon!

Tom

Reactions: H50
Could you ship it to a customs broker in the lower 48, then have them UPS it to you once its cleared customs?

What a bunch of communist POS bunny huggers. Ugh! Hope you can get your trophies soon. Good luck!

Trophy Shippers- Any update on this issue? I'm interested because a cape buffalo hunt is my dream hunt and I am currently living in Hawaii as well- if I can't import I guess pictures will have to do... Thanks for the info!

Could you ship it to a customs broker in the lower 48, then have them UPS it to you once its cleared customs?
I think this would work. It might violate the spirit of the law, but it would no longer be an import issue.

I don’t care that these idiots want to make a mockery of their own lives. But, it infuriates me that they insist everyone else comply with them.

Send your crate to Los Angeles to clear customs and have it transferred to one of the freight consolidators that specialize in consolidating LTL ( less than a load) cargo to Hawaii via ship.

This should not the issue it seems. I am getting cape buffalo every couple weeks , from Jan thru July now. Going to cost you a little more but import into US any port of entry and then ship to you in Hawaii. They are mounted so they need not of to a USDA facility can go directly to you nor would they have to get thru Customs or inspection again after arriving and follow Mekaniks advise. There are ways other than Delta and Quantas for this.

I just received word back from my contact in SA. Qantas Freight will take the Cape Buffalo on a direct flight from SA to Honolulu. Maximum dimensions of 300 x 240 x 157 cm’s.

I am not sure who you are working with for a shipper but if you would like us to help please let me know!

Best Regards,

Tom

First and foremost, thank you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Tom, I will be in touch with you through email. And yes, we could ship it to either Los Angeles or San Francisco, and clear it there. However, the shipping from there to Maui, Hawaii would be very expensive. The best way for us is to have it shipped to Honolulu and clear it there, and then on to Maui. This Big 5 issue with the airlines is ludicrous. Aloha to All.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg