Shipping Cape Buffalo To Hawaii

Maui Kolohe Boy

AH member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My hunting buddy and I are having our Cape Buffalo among other animals shot in South Africa mounted there. I shot a Buff in 2017, and had it mounted in SA, and Quantas shipped it to Hawaii last year. However, Quantas just changed their policy and won't ship any of the Big 5. Delta also won't ship the Big 5. We are being told by our taxidermist and shipper that there are currently no airlines that will ship the Big 5 to Hawaii.

One set of our trophies was ready about 3 months ago, and the other will be ready soon.

Shipping by sea also is not an option, as the shipper related that they won't ship partially filled containers with mounted trophies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Wow. I hope you can sort this out. Keep us posted.

TROPHY SHIPPERS

Sponsor
Since 2018
AH enthusiast
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.trophyshippers.com
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, HSC, NTA
Looking into this for you! Be in touch soon!

Tom

Reactions: H50

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
What a bunch of communist POS bunny huggers. Ugh! Hope you can get your trophies soon. Good luck!

H50

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA
Trophy Shippers- Any update on this issue? I'm interested because a cape buffalo hunt is my dream hunt and I am currently living in Hawaii as well- if I can't import I guess pictures will have to do... Thanks for the info!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Could you ship it to a customs broker in the lower 48, then have them UPS it to you once its cleared customs?
I think this would work. It might violate the spirit of the law, but it would no longer be an import issue.

I don’t care that these idiots want to make a mockery of their own lives. But, it infuriates me that they insist everyone else comply with them.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Send your crate to Los Angeles to clear customs and have it transferred to one of the freight consolidators that specialize in consolidating LTL ( less than a load) cargo to Hawaii via ship.

harden

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Asia/M.East
This should not the issue it seems. I am getting cape buffalo every couple weeks , from Jan thru July now. Going to cost you a little more but import into US any port of entry and then ship to you in Hawaii. They are mounted so they need not of to a USDA facility can go directly to you nor would they have to get thru Customs or inspection again after arriving and follow Mekaniks advise. There are ways other than Delta and Quantas for this.

TROPHY SHIPPERS

Sponsor
Since 2018
AH enthusiast
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.trophyshippers.com
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, HSC, NTA
I just received word back from my contact in SA. Qantas Freight will take the Cape Buffalo on a direct flight from SA to Honolulu. Maximum dimensions of 300 x 240 x 157 cm’s.

I am not sure who you are working with for a shipper but if you would like us to help please let me know!

Best Regards,

Tom

Maui Kolohe Boy

AH member
Reaction score
First and foremost, thank you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Tom, I will be in touch with you through email. And yes, we could ship it to either Los Angeles or San Francisco, and clear it there. However, the shipping from there to Maui, Hawaii would be very expensive. The best way for us is to have it shipped to Honolulu and clear it there, and then on to Maui. This Big 5 issue with the airlines is ludicrous. Aloha to All.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vuasoikeoclub

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?