WIDuckHunter

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Ducks Unlimited
Heading to SA in June for my first plains game hunt. Also, will be traveling with my 16 year old son. Have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt and see that there is a Sheraton at the airport. Has anyone stayed there and is it worth it? I assume you have to go through customs and wondering if that is any big ordeal as well. Thinking it might be worth it after an 8 hour overnight flight to get a few hours of sleep before the second leg to Joberg. Would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks!

It is very nice! Customs at Frankfurt is a breeze. I took my son that route in 2016 and got a day room. Nice shower and a couple hours in a comfortable bed. Then down town for a nice meal and some siteseeing.

For what it is worth, was just in Frankfort airport like 2 weeks ago. Customs was extremely easy and it is a nice airport. I do think 8 hour layover isn't too much time as it is a big airport and will be dependent if they have to bus you to customs (they did us).

If you decide against the hotel, it is a modern airport with some very relaxing chairs...we had a 4 hour layover and took a little nap.

The hotel and day room are a blessing! Shower and a bed make a big difference. Well worth the cost.

Depending on airline you might buy a club membership. Then you can use one of the showers there and relax. They are not like American airport lounges. Big upgrade in seating, food, drinks and many of them have the showers. Just a thought.

When we went a couple yrs ago there was a shower in airport for a small charge.

For what it is worth, was just in Frankfort airport like 2 weeks ago. Customs was extremely easy and it is a nice airport. I do think 8 hour layover isn't too much time as it is a big airport and will be dependent if they have to bus you to customs (they did us).

If you decide against the hotel, it is a modern airport with some very relaxing chairs...we had a 4 hour layover and took a little nap.

Do you recall if they have a USO in that airport?

Do you remember the price on it?
See the Sheraton day room page at: http://www.sheratonfrankfurtairport.com/en/day-rooms

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 1.16.08 PM.png

It is very nice! Customs at Frankfurt is a breeze. I took my son that route in 2016 and got a day room. Nice shower and a couple hours in a comfortable bed. Then down town for a nice meal and some siteseeing.
I am assuming your luggage stayed in transit and you had to actually l ave security to get to the hotel? How Long did it take to get through security when you were headed back for boarding? Sounds like a great hotel and very convenient.

I am assuming your luggage stayed in transit and you had to actually l ave security to get to the hotel? How Long did it take to get through security when you were headed back for boarding? Sounds like a great hotel and very convenient.
Yes sir, we just had our carry ons. Took maybe 20-30 min to clear back in. I’ve done this route several times and never had any issues. I will not fly Delta so I am stuck with a layover somewhere and I really enjoy Frankfurt. Breaks up the travel a bit and a few of those good German beers gets ya ready for a good nap on the way to Jberg.
Cheers,
Cody

Yes sir, we just had our carry ons. Took maybe 20-30 min to clear back in. I’ve done this route several times and never had any issues. I will not fly Delta so I am stuck with a layover somewhere and I really enjoy Frankfurt. Breaks up the travel a bit and a few of those good German beers gets ya ready for a good nap on the way to Jberg.
Cheers,
Cody
Couldn't be quicker - German immigration and customs operate with refreshing Teutonic efficiency. The hotel is essentially part of the terminal and a very short walk. You arrive in the morning - have a long hot shower - great lunch with a great beer or very dry glass of wine - and off to bed for a perfect nap. Always arrived in Windhoek far more refreshed than doing the bag drag and layover at City Lodge or the Intercon in Johannesburg.

Heading to SA in June for my first plains game hunt. Also, will be traveling with my 16 year old son. Have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt and see that there is a Sheraton at the airport. Has anyone stayed there and is it worth it? I assume you have to go through customs and wondering if that is any big ordeal as well. Thinking it might be worth it after an 8 hour overnight flight to get a few hours of sleep before the second leg to Joberg. Would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks!

Looks like you got an answer to your question and I think it was wise to get a room. I did this route once with my son and wish I'd has somewhere to take a nap and then a shower. It was cold and rainy on that Sunday in Frankfurt and you didn't want to tour. We tried and went right back to the airport.

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta check on flights into and out of Munich..Guess they just started.

Gotta check on flights into and out of Munich..Guess they just started.
Munich is a MUCH BETTER airport than Frankfurt. Smaller and far more modern.

Munich is a MUCH BETTER airport than Frankfurt. Smaller and far more modern.

And if you have a long enough layover, it's quite simple to get down to the Cathedral district. Get some tokens or a ticket for the train, head outside the airport, hop on and a 1/2 hour or so later you're there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg