WIDuckHunter

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Ducks Unlimited
Heading to SA in June for my first plains game hunt. Also, will be traveling with my 16 year old son. Have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt and see that there is a Sheraton at the airport. Has anyone stayed there and is it worth it? I assume you have to go through customs and wondering if that is any big ordeal as well. Thinking it might be worth it after an 8 hour overnight flight to get a few hours of sleep before the second leg to Joberg. Would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks!

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
It is very nice! Customs at Frankfurt is a breeze. I took my son that route in 2016 and got a day room. Nice shower and a couple hours in a comfortable bed. Then down town for a nice meal and some siteseeing.

LivingTheDream

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
For what it is worth, was just in Frankfort airport like 2 weeks ago. Customs was extremely easy and it is a nice airport. I do think 8 hour layover isn't too much time as it is a big airport and will be dependent if they have to bus you to customs (they did us).

If you decide against the hotel, it is a modern airport with some very relaxing chairs...we had a 4 hour layover and took a little nap.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
The hotel and day room are a blessing! Shower and a bed make a big difference. Well worth the cost.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Depending on airline you might buy a club membership. Then you can use one of the showers there and relax. They are not like American airport lounges. Big upgrade in seating, food, drinks and many of them have the showers. Just a thought.

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
When we went a couple yrs ago there was a shower in airport for a small charge.

huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
For what it is worth, was just in Frankfort airport like 2 weeks ago. Customs was extremely easy and it is a nice airport. I do think 8 hour layover isn't too much time as it is a big airport and will be dependent if they have to bus you to customs (they did us).

If you decide against the hotel, it is a modern airport with some very relaxing chairs...we had a 4 hour layover and took a little nap.

Do you recall if they have a USO in that airport?

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
No USO at Frankfurt.

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Do you remember the price on it?
See the Sheraton day room page at: http://www.sheratonfrankfurtairport.com/en/day-rooms

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 1.16.08 PM.png

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
It is very nice! Customs at Frankfurt is a breeze. I took my son that route in 2016 and got a day room. Nice shower and a couple hours in a comfortable bed. Then down town for a nice meal and some siteseeing.
I am assuming your luggage stayed in transit and you had to actually l ave security to get to the hotel? How Long did it take to get through security when you were headed back for boarding? Sounds like a great hotel and very convenient.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I am assuming your luggage stayed in transit and you had to actually l ave security to get to the hotel? How Long did it take to get through security when you were headed back for boarding? Sounds like a great hotel and very convenient.
Yes sir, we just had our carry ons. Took maybe 20-30 min to clear back in. I’ve done this route several times and never had any issues. I will not fly Delta so I am stuck with a layover somewhere and I really enjoy Frankfurt. Breaks up the travel a bit and a few of those good German beers gets ya ready for a good nap on the way to Jberg.
Cheers,
Cody

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Yes sir, we just had our carry ons. Took maybe 20-30 min to clear back in. I’ve done this route several times and never had any issues. I will not fly Delta so I am stuck with a layover somewhere and I really enjoy Frankfurt. Breaks up the travel a bit and a few of those good German beers gets ya ready for a good nap on the way to Jberg.
Cheers,
Cody
Couldn't be quicker - German immigration and customs operate with refreshing Teutonic efficiency. The hotel is essentially part of the terminal and a very short walk. You arrive in the morning - have a long hot shower - great lunch with a great beer or very dry glass of wine - and off to bed for a perfect nap. Always arrived in Windhoek far more refreshed than doing the bag drag and layover at City Lodge or the Intercon in Johannesburg.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Heading to SA in June for my first plains game hunt. Also, will be traveling with my 16 year old son. Have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt and see that there is a Sheraton at the airport. Has anyone stayed there and is it worth it? I assume you have to go through customs and wondering if that is any big ordeal as well. Thinking it might be worth it after an 8 hour overnight flight to get a few hours of sleep before the second leg to Joberg. Would appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks!

Looks like you got an answer to your question and I think it was wise to get a room. I did this route once with my son and wish I'd has somewhere to take a nap and then a shower. It was cold and rainy on that Sunday in Frankfurt and you didn't want to tour. We tried and went right back to the airport.

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited by a moderator:

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta check on flights into and out of Munich..Guess they just started.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Gotta check on flights into and out of Munich..Guess they just started.
Munich is a MUCH BETTER airport than Frankfurt. Smaller and far more modern.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Munich is a MUCH BETTER airport than Frankfurt. Smaller and far more modern.

And if you have a long enough layover, it's quite simple to get down to the Cathedral district. Get some tokens or a ticket for the train, head outside the airport, hop on and a 1/2 hour or so later you're there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorrieVar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J