Share your ideas with me please

Cam Moon

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a Red Fox that I cannot afford to get mounted. I was thinking of making it into a rug or something. What I'm looking for is some ideas anyone may have. I'm open to anything really. If I do go with a rug do I do open mouth? Closed mouth? No form in the head at all? (Like most Zebra skin rugs) Or do I do it with no head? (Like a backskin type of thing)
Has anyone seen anything? Have anything? Any ideas? I'd love some feedback!

I've got a neighbor with a grey fox rug that is beautiful. Head and paws mounted and the backing is some fancy layered felt I think. I always thought it looked cool as hell. I see a lot of people make possibles bags from fox and coyotes. The face is the flap on the pouch

Head and paws on you said... open or closed mouth?

I just tanned mine after it was tube skinned.
035C2255-CD41-4810-B11C-2DAD0E1F4B5A.jpeg

I agree. with a red fox it would look really nice. I've seen a few around home but they're too good at catching mice around the feed bale yards that I can't bring myself to shoot one.

@freefall Did you mean hat?
@yhc Do you know if you could get yours made into a rug/hat/bag etc at a later date?

View attachment 451243
I'd suggest to price out other alternatives such as full rug or specialty items and they may cost almost as much as full mounting.

I like the lower cost option tubed out and tanned, hook the nose on a nail on the wall. I had several Jackals from a hunt with @LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS so have one being full mounted and tubed and tanned another. It's low cost and cool;)

I'd suggest to price out other alternatives such as full rug or specialty items and they may cost almost as much as full mounting.

I like the lower cost option tubed out and tanned, hook the nose on a nail on the wall. I had several Jackals from a hunt with @LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS so have one being full mounted and tubed and tanned another. It's low cost and cool;)
I may just do that. If I end up deciding I want to do something more with it down the road do you know what can be done with just a tubed and tanned hide?

I'm with ActionBob on this. A rug might end up being 75% of the costs of a full mount. If you go with a very good commercial dry tan, being tubbed will costs extra normally. A tubbed skin can still be mounted later, but new cuts with have to be made to do so. Doing the belly skin and dry tan will still allow it to be mounted probably within 5 yrs of the tan if it's kept in a climate controlled environment. After that, it can be risky to rehydrate the skin.

I assume it's in the freezer at this point?

@Cam Moon I used Moyle Tannery in Idaho to tan my fox hide. They did an excellent job. Check out their price list to reference how much it would cost for various animals.

Moyle Tannery

The proper way to hunt foxes is on horseback with hounds. If you do not do it this way, you are a vulpicide, a fine Victorian word meaning one who kills foxes in a discreditable manner.

The correct terminology for the various bits is:

head - mask
paws - pads
tail - brush

You can preserve the pads and the brush in the following way: remove the part that you want to keep, cutting it either at the knee joint or at the base of the tail. Do not skin it or remove the bone. Put the part that you want to preserve in a jam-jar of methylated spirits. In respect of the brush, you must support it somehow so that it is straight. Leave for six months, then remove. The bone and sinew will have set firm and be impossible to manipulate, but the fur will be fine. The trophy will also be preserved and will not rot or smell. The methylated spirits smell disperses very quickly (within a week).

I attach a couple of photographs of a pad treated in this way, by me. I got a friendly silversmith to add the collar and ring afterwards (which is the traditional English way of presenting these trophies). The silver is bit tarnished. I see that it was done in 1984, when I was still at school and hunting foxes in the holidays.

DAD4A7B6-9862-43AB-8543-59ED612BFDE9.jpeg
D85F6743-79AE-4D21-95A1-67EFBF86676F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I say what mount do you really want? Life-size look great and if that's what you want they will never get cheaper than now. Most people I know, including me that get a hide tanned for maybe's in the future never really follow thru with the plan. Hence a pile of tanned skins on the floor in my memory room, and freezers full of capes at buddies shop. If the hide is in great shape all mounts are options. Cheapest is tan and hang, case, or belly skinned both hang nicely. Your future problem is the same one I had 35+ years ago, hence I took the time to learn taxidermy, now my obsession is grand.

Here is some temptation, my first life-size many moons ago and before BC turned them in to furbearers only, no hunting. Yes some "issues" but looks OK at a distance.

Fox.jpg

If you want rug, not a fox but here's a blown up jackal that I sewed for hrs and made somewhat into a rug.

Jackal.jpg

Hope this helps.

MB

I think the hats are cool.

Places like this one will usually take your fur to make what you want.

I have a Red Fox that I cannot afford to get mounted. I was thinking of making it into a rug or something. What I'm looking for is some ideas anyone may have. I'm open to anything really. If I do go with a rug do I do open mouth? Closed mouth? No form in the head at all? (Like most Zebra skin rugs) Or do I do it with no head? (Like a backskin type of thing)
Has anyone seen anything? Have anything? Any ideas? I'd love some feedback!
tan it and make a hat!!!

1644259540765.png

I like pelts. Look great slung over a nice chair. Of course only if it goes in your home and you don't have dogs that will play tug-of-war with it when you are out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!