Share a Story

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey friends,
One of my favorite parts of summer is checking in on people's safaris as they are on them as well as reading people's stories once they return home. I have been missing it this summer with everything going on... I thought it would be cool for everyone to share a photo and a story that you maybe haven't shared before.

Let's see them!

I remember getting into Africa and heading to an overnight stay in Joberg and looking at all the mounts. A few people were headed home and a few headed to Safari. A guy headed home answered 1000 questions I had. And he told me one thing ill never forget... he said.... "you'll know a big warthog when you see one". He said always shoot a big mature warthog you'll never regret it.

On my first day of Safari we had got into some thick brush following some Blesbuck. We had one small opening to shoot from. They keep crossing back and forth.

After a few minutes I looked to my left and immediately thought s*** thats a huge warthog. I was trying to get my PH attention as he was behind me and could not see that angle. I kept saying big pig big pig as he was walking from about 75 yards and was now about 25 yards away. Finally he saw him and said s*** as well. He saw us at about 15 yards and ran back out to about 75 yards and I hammered him.

Such a great memory.

IMG_9366.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
9F9BAB91-1A13-4035-B3D7-8A88C0D51E2C.jpeg
Just picked up my duiker mount this weekend so I’ll tell about that guy. Was on my first safari and enjoying myself immensely hunting with game4africa. My brother had his kudu bull in the skinning shed and it was my turn to carry the .300wm. Wik has us looking ofF a sort of plateau into a more open bottom and there is a nyala all fluffed up trying to impress the ladies and there were some kudu cows. Nothing to shoot at but so much fun that I forgot to use my camera.
Next small canyon and Wik is pointing out this ear in the spekboom or that rear end on the field edge and I spot something before he does and feeling awful proud of myself. “What is that little brown thing down there?” Only animal I spotted first the entire hunt and it’s a duiker. I struggled the entire trip to sort duikers from steenboks and didn’t care about killing either one. But Wik tells me it’s huge and it’s horns splay our wider than usual and please shoot it. Well I’m not interested in tiny brown things and it’s horns aren’t tripping my trigger. I tell Wik I’m not just here to kill for the sake of killing and with no more said about it, we move on. Maybe I just didn’t want a duiker for my first African animal and I had read A LOT about taking what Africa gives you and not kicking sand in her face.
Just around the corner from top of the plateau and Wik spots a nyala bull. I get on the sticks and it disappears at the shot. Trackers and dogs come in just in case and we watch the show from up on high. Very dead bull, no tracking required.
Skip ahead a couple days and my brother is working for a zebra. I’m having a blast, with camera following along taking pix of thorns and bugs and tracks in the dust, horns sticking up over the spark boom. My brother still is haunted by a miss and later an issue with that darn safety (he is left handed and using my rifle which isn’t) and Wik is showing his ph mastery skills in patience. Then a little girl duiker comes bustling around a hill about a hundred yards off and unaware of us. Nice ram right behind her and Wik asks my brother if he wants a duiker. He doesn’t but I have now decided that I want one-rather badly. So I get on sticks and as soon as the scope fills with hair I snatch the trigger. What a sloppy damn mess that shot was. Wik called in the jack Russell’s and we started them at the first glop of gut matter. It was less than a minute and they had him bayed under a bush. Trackers finished him with a knife poke that separates the atlas from the axis and thankfully I get to carry him to the truck. Not my only bad shot of the trip but thankfully the trackers and miniature wolves keep me from losing anything other than some pride.
The mount turned out great, and when my wife made fun of me for shooting the tiny antelope, I just told her to hold her tongue, I was awful happy to have that guy!

Thanks for sharing- a great story, and a super mount too!! (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!